What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Let's face it -- Oliver (overall) is no longer a low-density single family community. That said, there are pockets of quality housing that should be preserved (special zoning ordinance). But -- especially along Jasper Avenue -- height limits are ludicrous. Planning already has the means to negotiate with developers for amenities -- especially when dealing with height limitations. Sending this to Council is just an unnecessary delay. Watch it get approved for height on a 10 to 2 or 11 to 1 Council margin and then sent back to Planning to negotiate amenities. I am totally on board with @Daveography re parking (should be reduced and should be placed underground -- automated parking would be a good application for this site. If the podium was allotted to 3 storeys of retail/office/hospitality, @Daveography is again right -- the design outcome could be much more imaginative and street sensitive.

Ckb_l35VAAA_Ols.jpg

Ckb_leZUYAEpY37.jpg

https://twitter.com/Simon_OByrne/status/740560222872182784

'Twould be nice to see the single bulb balcony lights replaced with LED tracer lights that accented the form of the terraces -- perhaps in different colours (clumped massing), matching the hues of the glass parking structure panels -- my suggestions are free, so don't expect a bill M. Developer. I do like the idea of uplighting the podium rooftop trees -- this, too, however, could benefit from a better massing of plant material and maybe a more exotic choice of species -- think tamarack or mountain ash or both -- could also be replicated at street level.

Paula Simons: Proposed tower poses a challenge for Superman — and Edmonton city council
Edmonton, you might say, has a fear of heights.

For years, city zoning positively discouraged buildings taller than 15 storeys. Some of that had to do with the height limitations imposed by the old City Centre Airport. But much of it seems to have been almost superstitious, a kind of deep Puritanical belief that tall buildings were some symptom of civic hubris.

If Superman came to town, he could leap most stubby Oliver “high-rises” in a single lazy hop.

The 36-storey Pearl, which recently opened on Jasper Avenue at 121 Street, shook up our sleeping skyline with its elegant height. Now, Regency Developments, which built the Pearl, want to top themselves. They’re planning a 45-storey condo, the Emerald, on an eyesore empty lot at Jasper and 114th Street.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Following Twitter and now listening to the live stream, podium & number of spaces is most contentious issue - many feel parking should still be reduced further and podium improved with more active uses.

Developer is concerned that if council sends them back for changes, they may not be able to come back to council until fall, and may even pull out altogether if that happens.

Oliver Community League wants smaller retails bays, larger units, more affordable housing, and a larger commitment to community amenity fund.

Last edited:
Caterina and Gibbons express frustrations over how building taller was a big argument for closing the City Centre Airport, but council now waffles over building tall. May not be a fair argument since height was actually lower on the list of concerns than other items.

Sounds like they are going to postpone for two weeks to draft some amendments.

Listening to Iveson, whether you like him or not the man really knows how to navigate and guide on council procedures.

@Daveography -- I also sat through the end of the live streaming session (head examining time). It actually seems to me that they are not drafting amendments but rather are dealing with text issues in the way "potential" amendments are being written. Administration seems not to have clearly dealt with these vis-a-vis the building applicant. I could hear frustration on the part of all Councillors and the Mayor himself in a sloppy presentation on behalf of Administration.

Reading between the lines, I can see this getting approved in two weeks by a super majority of Council. As you pointed out in previous comments, they really should be looking at reducing the parking requirement -- it seems that they won't be (at least not for this development). It will be interesting to see what the issues are that Administration is bringing forward… maybe some were mentioned today; I signed on too late to catch any.

Several Edmonton councillors show strong support for Oliver's 45-storey condo tower
Council refused to vote yes or no Monday on a proposed 45-storey tower for Oliver, but several had strong words in the support for the project.

Coun. Dave Loken said it fit with the “big, bold vision” they want for downtown and several said they like the colourful illuminated glass screen for the above-ground parking on Jasper Avenue.

“We take down the airport and now we can’t build high?” said Coun. Ed Gibbons, saying it seems city officials are blocking good development.

They’ll return to the proposal at a public hearing in two weeks to allow city administration to suggest small-scale tweaks to the wording of the zoning the developer proposed, mostly to ensure the wording is clear for everyone.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Edmonton council delays decision on 45-storey tower
Councillors postponed a decision Monday on whether to approve a 45-storey tower in downtown Edmonton in the hopes of finding common ground between the developer, city planners and the community.

The proposed Emerald Tower on Jasper Avenue at 114 Street has divided many.

City administration expressed concerns the development is too large for the area, is not giving enough back to the community and included above-ground parking in a podium, which the city is eager to avoid.

Full Story (Metro Edmonton)

Now that I've had some time to think about it, my prediction right now is that it will pass with a few Councillors opposing.

I want to talk more about how the meeting was a bit of a debacle, but I don't think I need to speak much more to it other than to say there's still so much confusion and conflicting vision between Council and the bureaucracy. OCL too seems confused and incoherent in their messaging as well.

Edmonton councillors to make decision on Jasper Avenue tower
City councillors will decide Monday on whether what could be the city’s largest residential tower can go ahead with construction or if it must go back to the drawing board.

The Emerald, a proposed 45-storey tower on Jasper Avenue and 114 Street, will go before council for a rezoning decision Monday afternoon.

The tower does not have the blessing of the city’s administration, who were concerned about its size, an inadequate investment in the local community and above ground parking, which is part of the proposal.

Full Story (Metro Edmonton)

Back