Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 678
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 666
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a really deep excavation. Will it be all parking levels or will there be some kind of underground (retail) concourse connecting the entire complex?

I didn't realize this tower was a Hariri Pontarini design. They can really execute if they've got a developer behind them willing to spend the cash. This should turn out great.

Sadly, I read that their JV partner in Edmonton is Dialog -- so I wouldn't get too excited yet. JW Marriott looks for a grand solution for their properties -- hopefully they are inspired by Edmonton's ICE district to insist on something special. David Pontarini owns up to Master Planning (not a good sign).

@Daveography I think that we have not seen the "final renderings" for the hotel portion of ICE. I noticed a significant pause in construction when the scheme went from Delta to Marriott (I know and understand that Marriott bought out Delta), so I expect that there may be some new design versions on the horizon that have not been released yet. Personally, I am disappointed that the Stantec tower was stripped of its interesting design elements (even as it gained height in revision). If one studies David Pontarinis's work, there is a powerful suggestion that some other design influence was at work in the redesign of Stantec plus residences. What is your view?

Further to my last point -- the design of Roger's Place is brilliant (even though it lost some of its curvilinear form) and I absolutely love the design and the build-out of the City of Edmonton tower. The rest remains to be seen -- I hope that it doesn't get watered down like Stantec appears to have been.

@archited I noticed no such delay; work was progressing on those crazy deep caissons the whole time as far as I could tell. That's not to say the design could not have changed in the meantime, surely any change could be worked into the structure's foundations as designed and under construction, but I seriously doubt they would be doing so at this stage of the game. Especially not when you also consider that sales on the condo portion have been doing very well, and it would be very unwise to pull the design rug out from under those buyers.

I actually really like the current Stantec design. Simple, elegant, great emphasis on its height through the vertical fins, the two portions tie together nicely.

Back