What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Paula Simons: MacEwan's new arts centre charms its way into heart of Edmonton
On the fifth floor of MacEwan University’s new Centre for the Arts and Culture, construction workers, tethered by safety lines, wrestle a giant pane of glass into position. The window is just over two metres high, and about 1-1/2 metres wide. Under the deep blue sky, the glass glints in the bright March sunlight. It’s a risky and beautiful manoeuvre, part performance art, part aerial dance — a fitting metaphor for MacEwan’s work-in-progress.

The $180-million project on 104th Avenue at 111 Street heralds a new age for MacEwan. The building will allow the university to close its west-end satellite campus and consolidate all of its students downtown, giving the university important critical mass. The striking building, designed by world-renowned Vancouver architect Bing Thom, in collaboration with the Edmonton firm Manasc Isaac, will allow the university to expand its visual arts, design, dance, music and theatre diploma programs into four-year degrees. And its theatres, art gallery and restaurant will make it a key lynchpin in the 104th Street arts and entertainment corridor, from the Brewery District in the west, past the arena district, to the Royal Alberta Museum in the east.

“It’s a building worthy of downtown Edmonton,” said MacEwan president David Atkinson. “This is not a building with a moat around it. It has an open door on the city.”

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Mar. 30 update

Gotta say I'm not in love with this building as much as I thought I would be. I guess I'll wait until it's complete, but it seems as though it will be hard to really determine where entrances will be? And I'm not a huge fan of the darker glass, even though it's a good to have some variety in town.

Back