• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Depressing revisions to tower 2 in the application info centre. The high mechanical penthouse was a distraction from the bulbous form of the office floors. Has that been already discussed or is that another thread?
Document and page?

Yeah, plans re:filed for 45 Bay on July 18, 2017 seem similar to what we've seen so far. I also see no revisions for 141 Bay if that's what you're referring to?

On Thursday, they started just after 7am and worked until 8:50 pm, it's not any noisier than the Gardiner, especially with the motor bike parade last night, so I guess no one complained. Today at 5:45 pm they're having a major traffic jam

major traffic jam.jpg

Attachments

• major traffic jam.jpg
    major traffic jam.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 416
Friday Round-up. This morning, still in the shade, there was a lot of clean-up after the storm, they had to scrape a lot of mud and clean out a plugged-up drain. The second shot is later in the afternoon and if you look at the top of the berm near the most south facing tracks you'll be able to make out all the little steel soldiers standing in a row of caissons

Early Morning Clean-up.jpg
Boring Afternoon.jpg

Attachments

• Early Morning Clean-up.jpg
    Early Morning Clean-up.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 359
  • Boring Afternoon.jpg
    Boring Afternoon.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 387
Working on Saturday yet again but this time the berm is starting to be deconstructed. Only one boring machine is still working on the north side of 18 Yonge St. The other three are working at ground level. They also brought in a new/used machine that I think is called a 'tieback' machine (lower left of the picture)

starting to take down the berm.jpg
Third boring machine comes down.jpg

Attachments

• starting to take down the berm.jpg
    starting to take down the berm.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 377
  • Third boring machine comes down.jpg
    Third boring machine comes down.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 388
Was down here yesterday for the Bruno Mars Concert. Walked right past this site, it looks like a fairly large area. This tower will be a thick one by the looks of the space they are dealing with. Not quite as tall as I had hoped, but still a decent size. I will take any 200m+ office tower in Toronto.

Friday Update, as you can see they have lowered the berm on the west side by about 3m. A 'tieback' machine has been working for the last few days sending what looks like steel cording twisted into a type of rope and shoved into the hole that's been drilled at an angle under the tracks. They also seem to inject some paste like material until it explodes out of the hole. It's very messy for the one guy that works at the face of the wall that is being drilled. There are now 3 of these machines on site. The boring machine on the west side of the berm near the East Bay Teamway has been busy boring holes, there seems to be only room for about 5 separate bore holes so the work progresses slowly. I'm guessing they have to wait for the concrete to cure before they can bore another hole. The other boring machine at ground level near the East Bay Teamway has a similar problem. They consistently work into the evening and sometimes as late at 11pm. It's quite interesting to watch the progress

Friday Update.jpg

Attachments

• Friday Update.jpg
    Friday Update.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 349
A 'tieback' machine has been working for the last few days sending what looks like steel cording twisted into a type of rope and shoved into the hole that's been drilled at an angle under the tracks. They also seem to inject some paste like material until it explodes out of the hole. It's very messy for the one guy that works at the face of the wall that is being drilled.

From Wiki:

Grout is then pumped under pressure into the tieback anchor holes to increase soil resistance and thereby prevent tiebacks from pulling out, reducing the risk for wall destabilization.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tieback_(geotechnical)

AoD

I hope they redesign the towers. As much as I like the distinctive diamond pattern on the facades, they have the proportions of two massive slab towers. The attempt to style them as 4 towers doesn't make up for the slabbish footprints.

Last edited:
Interesting, I quite like the diamond pattern too, but my thinking was that the design cleverly hides the fact that they are working with slabbish footprints- at least that seems to be the case with the north tower.

Back