News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
An insane new retractable-roof NFL stadium has been approved for Atlanta, GA, and holy crap, if they propose something like this here, Rob Ford can have his damn franchise for all I care. Architects are 360 Architecture, Goode Van Slyke Architecture, Stanley Beaman & Sears, and tvsdesign.

k-bigpic.jpg

Photo sourced from Gizmodo

More info and renderings here: http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/

That's beautiful! If they can actually built it and have it look like that, wow!

Well renderings do have a tendency to lie. It'll be like the ROM and the glass covering will end up being steel or something.

The Georgia Dome is already one of the better NFL stadiums. Good size, great sight lines, natural light, private boxes and suits, big concourses and lots of concessions, connects with MARTA... so this surprises me a little.

It would be built right next to the existing dome which would be left without an anchor tenant - though I guess being in Georgia it might become a church or something.

The Georgia Dome, though very young by stadium standards, is falling apart at the seams. There have been several structural issues related to weather over the years, especially since the building got chewed up by a tornado a few years back. The building underwent a $300 million renovation, almost the full price of the original build once adjusted for inflation, so the fact that a new stadium has not only been proposed, but approved, would hint at some major issues with the facility that would prevent viable long term use. That being said, it is the largest indoor stadium in the U.S., and you kind of wonder what they will do with it once/if the new one opens.

Not sure, but considering football's importance in American culture, Atlanta's crumbling Georgia Dome and the fact that they recently lost their NHL franchise, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it was partially government funded. That city needs an injection of life and this seems to fit the bill.

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/funding/
The funding for the new Atlanta stadium is a model example of a public-private partnership. Private funding will cover approximately 70-80% of the stadium’s construction costs. In addition, the Falcons will take on construction cost overruns as well as operating and capital risks currently borne by the Georgia World Congress Center for the Georgia Dome, which relieves the state of these potential liabilities.

The remaining 20-30% of the cost of the new stadium will be publicly funded by the existing hotel-motel tax, which is paid by visitors. This is the same funding that has been used to fund the debt on the Georgia Dome for the past 20 years.

Back