What do you think of this project?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters

Interesting attempt at flat panel colour differentiation. Comes off a bit deconstructionist -- I think that the design would work better if the panels were more three-dimensional and perhaps angular to the vertical plane of the building -- looks a little weak otherwise.

Last edited:
@MichaelC No, they are still looking for provincial and federal funding. Apparently there is talk of funding it through The Quarters CRL, today in fact in the Executive Committee meeting:

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2121&doctype=AGENDA - Item 6.3

I read it and I personally prefer Scenario 3. They also call this project a "Catalyst" for future development, however as much as i'd love to see this go up I kind of disagree because there are other things in the Quarters such as the Hyatt Place hotel, Hat @ Five Corners, The Armature, Valley Line LRT, Ukrainian Museum, Brighton Block, and The Quarters Hotel and Residences.

You are spot on, @MichaelC -- there has been an abundance of 'kindling' to get this fire going and it has been a rather slow burn at best. Now the City is trying to entice developers with land assembly projects; I have little faith in that venture. Developers know how to assemble land without the City's help. The Quarters Hotel and Residences, if it proceeds, will change the character of the entire area. The artist's building will not fill that role.

...there are still several financial hoops to jump through. The partners are depending on $13.6 million from the provincial and federal governments ($6.8 million each) as well as a grant from the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund to make the project financially feasible.

They’re also relying on a Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation program to finance the building’s mortgage. An Artists Co-op Society would be created, which would facilitate residents covering the cost of the building over time, with artists paying a monthly fee toward maintenance and the mortgage.

Without those partners on board, Arts Habitat would have to approach private developers to finance the project, which could result in the city pulling back and a “complete retooling of the project,” according to city administration at an executive committee meeting on Tuesday.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/20...elopment-but-funding-details-remain-hazy.html

Confirmed:

ARTIST QUARTERS PROJECT HALTED
Since 2011 Arts Habitat, in partnership with Artists Urban Village, led the development of the Artists Quarters Project located in The Quarters in downtown Edmonton. In response to the City of Edmonton Expression of Interest (EOI) for the land at the corner of 102a Ave and 96 Street the development of this project, which has been significantly sustained by the City of Edmonton and Arts Habitat, has not made it to the building phase. Despite the concerted efforts and encouragement of many, the success of this project was reliant upon the matching support of Provincial and Federal governments to realize this affordable, appropriate, and sustainable artist live/work project.

We understand that not all developments make it to the building stage, and we take consolation knowing the expertise gained through the design process of Artists Quarters will educate future developments.

Back