Untitled picture2.png
    1 MB · Views: 2,685
  • Untitled picture3.png
    Untitled picture3.png
    618.5 KB · Views: 2,541
  • Untitled picture8.png
    Untitled picture8.png
    349.5 KB · Views: 2,432
I don't mind it for the main reason that we really don't have anything else like it here in the city. I also am not a fan of buildings needing to "fit in" with their surroundings, as it tends to lead to terrible "faux historical" designs far more often than it leads to any kind of creative integration of modern design.

I think I could live without the yellow box on top, but all in all, this is a pretty good looking development! Nice to see some other materials besides the spandrel glass and window wall that's typical in most Canadian cities.

The thread is now tied into the newly published Database file as well.

@bennessb Yeah I thought that was pretty funny, too.

I contacted the developer directly, and they sent me their EDC presentation which included the details, renders, and more. They're also supposed to send me info about another development they have in the pipeline.

very cool! We want to do a quick front page profile that will link back to your excellent sleuthed out info. (have you considered adding sleuth to your bio? like, right after meadmaker maybe.)

ETA: I see I'm too late!

It's the quick front page post! But we're definitely interested in following this and similar projects in more detail. I have a feeling it's going to remain contentious, but I'm with you:
I don't mind it for the main reason that we really don't have anything else like it here in the city.

Plus this got me clicking around the RAW website, which was a delightful afternoon break.

I don't mind it for the main reason that we really don't have anything else like it here in the city. I also am not a fan of buildings needing to "fit in" with their surroundings, as it tends to lead to terrible "faux historical" designs far more often than it leads to any kind of creative integration of modern design.
I like it for the area, as I'm a fan of the mixture of old and new. It's one of the things I love about places like NYC or London.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the yellow box, but other than that, a good density boost and good fit.

CaPS7MfWQAArjK8.jpg:large

Sixteen storey tower proposed for Old Strathcona

Edmonton,Alberta / iNews880
Scott Johnston

A developer wants to build sixteen storey tower just off Whyte avenue. But there’s a catch. The sixteen storeys is well above everything else that’s there and it worries many who don’t want the view on Whyte avenue spoiled.

“People are going to say you’re going to affect the character of the heritage of the area,” said Mathew McLash of Westoak Developments who argues he’s worked with the community and has overwhelming buy in from those he’s talked to.

McLash has parceled together three properties on 105th street and 81st avenue. “I have a dilapidated church that is falling down, I have a gravel parking lot and a very troublesome home that has been a focal point for illicit activities. Is that the character we’re trying to preserve for this neighborhood? I don’t think so.”

His proposal for The Mezzo is to emphasize affordable housing in two ways. By working with a community organization to own and operate it, to assist ‘in need’ families. It’ll also have smaller one and two bed room units compared to the rest of the rental market.
http://www.inews880.com/2016/02/02/sixteen-storey-tower-proposed-for-old-strathcona/?sc_ref=twitter

Back