DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
New project at King & Hughson in downtown Hamilton by Liuna on the former Kresge Department Store site. The development will recreate the historic facade. Architect is Graziani & Corazza

NhSME4S.jpg

ftMwGDh.jpg

YJ95GDL.png

m1W6jd0.png

HmYIjrN.png

KIyw5db.png

Source: https://kingathughson.urbanshare.info/resources/

First time actually in Gore Park, waiting for a dinner reservation.

Excuse my little ramble as much of this may have been said before. Reminds me of a larger Berczy Park without the dogs (that's a compliment) as it's a great cozy urban space. With the rise of these towers I imagine it'll feel even moreso which'll be great. Being it's G+C I'm not expecting anything great quality wise, but the rendered designs at least aren't awful and might make for a modern looking addition. The real value will be the added vitality with people.

Slow progress on the podium but hopefully it'll speed up soon:

PXL_20211110_221937025.jpg

Bonus photo from the park:

PXL_20211110_221341968.jpg

1. Look at how wide that sidewalk is!

2. it's in typical Hamilton shape, even back then.. Falling apart!

I always see photos of old Hamilton and see how busy it was back then despite being a much smaller city at the time.. it's a shame really. That level of crowding in the city is unimaginable now but was commonplace back then.

They've poured the seventh floor slab and some (?) of the seventh floor columns and walls on the west tower, which I believe is the last floorplate before it moves to a standard floorplate. They're one floor slower on the east tower. Pictures taken today.

First, a picture looking westerly down King; the forms seen peaking out are for the west tower so this will be quite a prominent view for the project:

DSC_0150_PC.jpg

Now looking westerly from the corner of John Street and King William Street. East tower will rise here, where the forms are:

DSC_0180_PC.jpg

DSC_0182_PC.jpg

The new street wall along King William:

DSC_0195_PC.jpg

DSC_0200_PC.jpg

DSC_0210_PC.jpg

Now looking southerly along Hughson Street:

DSC_0214_PC.jpg

DSC_0215_PC.jpg

DSC_0223_PC.jpg

A closer look at the west tower floorplate, and a cutout where I presume a construction elevator will be located:

DSC_0225_PC.jpg

DSC_0226_PC.jpg

Finally, two pictures from Gore Park towards the project:

DSC_0236_PC.jpg

DSC_0241_PC.jpg

King Street has a beautiful public realm. Gore Park is one of the finest public spaces in the country. I'm so happy to see the new investment.

Photo of their lunch counter back then:

Source

View attachment 362285
That's not the lunch counter that I recall. It was waaaay bigger than that with a series of parallel counters extending from the main counter. There was also the Ladies Lounge on the mezzanine level hovering over the lunch counter. Perhaps the photo is not the main King Street location.

Back