Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 5 Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Terrible

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Snapped this one a few hours ago on my way back from Brookfield:

36150072656_0e46c3784c_h.jpg

You can already see the black sections growing on the west face. I'm nervous that towards the top, the black sections will be too prominent on the east and west faces.

Hi Group,
I don't Have a Camera anymore but I Find Centre St., by about 8th Ave to B the Best Location for pictures now/look see. Guess as the Residential portion starts to take
more Shape We Will get a Better Ideas of what to expect.
Tnx,
Ooerater.

If nothing major (like 150+ meters) gets built between now and when we (potentially) host the 2026 Winter Olympics, I will still be happy as a clam. We will be showcasing to the planet how far Calgary has come between 1988 and 2026. In less than 40 years, our municipal population will have nearly tripled; from around 600 000 in 1988 to 1.25 million in 2017, to around 1.5 million in 2026, with our metropolitan area also massively increasing from around 700 000 to between 1.7 and 1.8 million. Our skyline has gone from 166 high-rises (over 35 meters) and 40 skyscrapers (over 100 meters) in 1988 to 414 high-rises and 78 skyscrapers (built/UC) in 2017, with probably ~440 high-rises and ~80 skyscrapers by 2026. Our public realm has improved drastically since the 80s, and hopefully by 2026, we'll have the entire main-streets initiative completed (at least in the downtown areas), the RiverWalk, West Eau Claire Park, and Eau Claire Plaza will all (likely) be completed, and the potential for Arts Commons and Olympic/Municipal Plazas to be revitalized is also there. We will also be bringing our first Subway line and Alberta's largest ever transit infrastructure project online right as the Olympics start, with potential for Alberta's first airport connection to rapid transit, and my hope-against-hope that somehow we will find a way to build the 8th Avenue Red Line Subway by the Olympics as well. Regardless of all that, the people of the world will be looking at the fantastic skyline we have on TV and thinking "dang, that looks like a cool city", in large part because of Telus Sky and its amazing 222-meter LED installation. A lot can happen in 9 years, and I am thrilled at the plans we have, and not only the insane potential, but the insane drive, this city has. Even if we don't get the Olympics, Calgary will be a different city by the mid-2020s than it was even in 2010, despite the slowing/stabilization of our population growth.

I keep telling my friends or people I meet that ask me "why did you choose to study urban planning at U of C?" and I always say along these lines; Calgary is building at about the same rate as Montreal and has been for about 10 years. While the developments in Montreal are very impressive, especially the Quartier Des Spectecals and Griffintown redevelopments, Montreal is and has been viewed as a cosmopolitan global city for quite a long time, if not literally since that terminology was coined. While Calgary is literally in the midst of its transition from regional prairie city to cosmopolitan metropolis (maybe not global city, but certainly widely known and climbing rapidly in the GaWC Global Cities Index, currently at Beta-). The developments here are making a much bigger impact on our city - likely due to our relative size mixed with a century of poor urban planning choices now being reversed - than the developments in Montreal are making on theirs. I want to be part of that transformation now and into the future.

I hope people don't mind me posting such a long blurb about my hopes and dreams for the city, as I feel many on here share this optimism about our future.

#EndSappyPost

Last edited:
Quality in design and urban form leaves a better impression than the number of towers. We have improved in those areas but so has everyone else. Calgary isn't yet part of the national conservation as unfair as it may be. Now's the time to break out when things aren't as overheated as other markets.

Hosting the Winter Games peaked a long time ago. No one's interested in it anymore. Beijing had to step in after much begging for 2020. Costs are just too much for these lesser games. I hope Calgary doesn't bid to keep from winning the games by default. There are much better investments to get Calgary international attention than this.

Last edited:
Hi Group,
Hey Urban Worrior, I Find Your Comments/Rants Interesting, WHY? I Used to Live in Police State quebec. Montreal, 39 Years Ago I Made the BEST DECISIONS in My Life. I Hoped on the Train and MOVED to CANADA - CALGARY, NO REGRETS What SO EVER, Took Me a While to Get Used to Calgary Really. I Have a LOT of POSITIVE VIBES for This City! Seen a Lot Happen as Well. I Got to Learn a Lot About Agriculture, Potash, Forestry, Resource Mining - Coal, Iron Ore and the
Petro Chemical/Oil/Gas Sector Service Industry and Real Estate, My Education Sucks to High Hell but I Learned What the WEST is All About. Calgary as I See It has Been Good to Me. The Suburbs are Great but My Best Areas I Still Enjoy are Downtown/Beltline/Mission. As I See It, Calgary is MY HOME. Times Might B Tough Right Now but I Will Take Calgary any Day of the Week. We Might NOT Get the Olympics but Its OK, Time to Make Calgary Great Again. Bring IT On.
Tnx,
Operater,

It's an exciting time to be in Calgary. The city is evolving well, and it's great to watch it happen.
Already evolved cities are nice, but sometimes it's more exciting to help write a story than to read one. :)
If nothing major (like 150+ meters) gets built between now and when we (potentially) host the 2026 Winter Olympics, I will still be happy as a clam. We will be showcasing to the planet how far Calgary has come between 1988 and 2026. In less than 40 years, our municipal population will have nearly tripled; from around 600 000 in 1988 to 1.25 million in 2017, to around 1.5 million in 2026, with our metropolitan area also massively increasing from around 700 000 to between 1.7 and 1.8 million. Our skyline has gone from 166 high-rises (over 35 meters) and 40 skyscrapers (over 100 meters) in 1988 to 414 high-rises and 78 skyscrapers (built/UC) in 2017, with probably ~440 high-rises and ~80 skyscrapers by 2026. Our public realm has improved drastically since the 80s, and hopefully by 2026, we'll have the entire main-streets initiative completed (at least in the downtown areas), the RiverWalk, West Eau Claire Park, and Eau Claire Plaza will all (likely) be completed, and the potential for Arts Commons and Olympic/Municipal Plazas to be revitalized is also there. We will also be bringing our first Subway line and Alberta's largest ever transit infrastructure project online right as the Olympics start, with potential for Alberta's first airport connection to rapid transit, and my hope-against-hope that somehow we will find a way to build the 8th Avenue Red Line Subway by the Olympics as well. Regardless of all that, the people of the world will be looking at the fantastic skyline we have on TV and thinking "dang, that looks like a cool city", in large part because of Telus Sky and its amazing 222-meter LED installation. A lot can happen in 9 years, and I am thrilled at the plans we have, and not only the insane potential, but the insane drive, this city has. Even if we don't get the Olympics, Calgary will be a different city by the mid-2020s than it was even in 2010, despite the slowing/stabilization of our population growth.

I keep telling my friends or people I meet that ask me "why did you choose to study urban planning at U of C?" and I always say along these lines; Calgary is building at about the same rate as Montreal and has been for about 10 years. While the developments in Montreal are very impressive, especially the Quartier Des Spectecals and Griffintown redevelopments, Montreal is and has been viewed as a cosmopolitan global city for quite a long time, if not literally since that terminology was coined. While Calgary is literally in the midst of its transition from regional prairie city to cosmopolitan metropolis (maybe not global city, but certainly widely known and climbing rapidly in the GaWC Global Cities Index, currently at Beta-). The developments here are making a much bigger impact on our city - likely due to our relative size mixed with a century of poor urban planning choices now being reversed - than the developments in Montreal are making on theirs. I want to be part of that transformation now and into the future.

I hope people don't mind me posting such a long blurb about my hopes and dreams for the city, as I feel many on here share this optimism about our future.

#EndSappyPost

It's an exciting time to be in Calgary. The city is evolving well, and it's great to watch it happen.
Already evolved cities are nice, but sometimes it's more exciting to help write a story than to read one. :)

That's exactly what I mean :)

Interesting way of putting it, and very true.

Hi Group,
Winter Olympics in 2026? I HOPE We Get to have a VOTE on the Subject. The 1980s was a LOT DIFFERENT then Now and I Honestly Feel People Would B Voting to say
"Thanks But NO THANKS" for Another Round of Olympic Games. I'll B Backing the NO SIDE. Besides With Global Cooling/Freezing on the Way in the 2020sts Going to B a Whole Different Ball Game.
Tnx,
Operater.

Wow, that's a beautiful shot Surrealplaces, got the top 3 tallest in Calgary all in one magnificent picture!
Hi everyone btw, I've been a long-time lurker and also used to hang around SSP. I hope i can snap some pics to update some of these forums once in a while, though it likely won't be half as beautiful as the post above me haha.
How tall would you estimate Telus Sky to be at the moment?

Back