00014.jpg

00012.jpg

00008.jpg

00004.jpg

00002.jpg

00017.jpg
buffalo.jpg

pics

hey Flar those are excellent pictures, you have a good eye for photography. You take the time to compose your shot with the environment. Thanx for the architectual eye candy.:):):):);)

it was great seeing these photos!

i want to visit buffalo for their doors open event coming up in october. interestingly enough, i've never been to the downtown. always passed by looking down from the interstate when travelling to the states.

Excellent work!

Great pix as usual flar! Buffalo, along with Montreal is another example of a city that fell on hard times but ended up saving it's past from the ravages of affluence.

Outstanding pics. You've made me think a day trip to Buffalo is long overdue.

Their city hall is sure one imposing beast. I like it, but it frightens me.

cityhall.jpg

I think Buffalo is worth a trip. Downtown is mostly offices but if you like architecture or just to absorb the atmosphere of a grand old city it's a great place to walk around. Downtown is very clean and I never felt unsafe on any of the streets. There are some vibrant urban neighbourhoods north of Downtown Buffalo, such as Allentown and Elmwood Village. They were not shown in this thread but if I go back to Buffalo for pictures, that's where I will be going.

Buffalo has some absolutely stunning architecture, and you've captured these scenes well. I think I'll really consider a day-trip for their Doors Open, as I'd especially love to see City Hall in person.

Downtown Buffalo's commercial architecture is stunning, but the architectural vernacular of the residential neighbourhoods that surround it is incredibly plain, almost provincial. Despite all the stories we hear, I wonder if Toronto was the "bigger feeling" city even in the late 19th century when Buffalo had twice our population. Toronto's housing stock consists of tall, tightly packed brick semis with Victorian ornamentation while Buffalo has these wooden detached houses that begin just four or five blocks from city hall.

Flar: Great Buffalo pics!

Flar: This is a great collection of Buffalo pics here! I will at a later date chime in info on some of these-there is just too much to go over at this point. I agree that that BUF City Hall pic is neat-the 2nd largest CH in the USA behind Philadelphia's. I have been up top there myself-did you notice any spiders and webs there as I remember? NYS's Second City is a good architecture treasure trove!
LI MIKE

Flar-As promised some info on Buffalo sights I recognize...

Flar: I looked thru this great group of pics you photographed of Buffalo-were you there on a weekend or a weekday? You picked a nice day to visit-and since Buffalo is one of my favorite cities-it in ways is so different from Downstate NY-here goes some info: #1-Inside Buffalo City Hall I believe.
#2-Looking E from BUF City Hall-Niagara Square.
#4-That stone work in both pics is which building?
#5-BUF City Hall looking W in left pic-Niagara Square?
#6-the Buffalo Savings Bank building-now owned by M+T Bank-the "Golddome"-inside it is one of the neatest interiors of a building I have ever been in-I remember a history of old Buffalo inside up above-arguably the best classic architecture in the city! I remember obtaining a brochure on this building on one of my 80s visits-it is quite a place!
#9-The Niagara Mohawk Power Company's classic Electric Building.
#13-Shea's Buffalo Theatre-another classic!
#14-A L.Ron Hubbard outpost in Buffalo?
#20-NFTA LRRT on Main Street Mall-I like this newer color scheme the NFTA uses on them now compared to the original orange yellow and brown back in the 80s....
#22-Good City Center pic with Liberty Insurance in the center...
#23-You caught these classics like the Market Arcade here...
#25-Good telephoto airview looking NW towards the Peace Bridge and Niagara Falls in the distance from BUF City Hall...
#28-The Buffalo House-Closed! - I believe they were one of the originators of Buffalo's famous "Beef on Weck" sandwich (short for Kummelweck bread) with pretzel salt-eaten with some horseradish it's delicious!
#32-On the left US Court House classic facade along with the twin statues of Liberty on the right-small replicas of Lady Liberty in NY Harbor(NYC).
#33-On the left the US Court House Building along with another Buffalo classic-the Ellicott Square Building on the right-it has quite an atrium inside!
#34 On right and #39-The old Buffalo Post Office Building now Erie County Community College's (ECC) Downtown Campus Building.
#35-Chippewa and Elmwood Streets-neat buildings and a NYS Route 5 sign-NYS's longest state route at upwards of 375 or so miles between the Albany area in the E to the NY-PA extreme W boundary near Erie,Pa-it becomes PA Route 5 across Erie County,PA on its way W towards NE Ohio. On the upper right is the old Buffalo Post Office Building-now Erie County Community College(ECC) Downtown campus...also it is in pic #38.
#36-Buffalo City Hall-a classic-as mentioned the 2nd largest CH in the USA behind Philadelphia's..
#40-Neat Niagara Square pic left and that right reflection pic is neat...
#44-I remember that I always liked these buildings-I forget what they were...
#47-Looking NE with the Electric Building in the center...
#50-looking E towards Buffalo Central Terminal - a rail preservation group is working to try and preserve this much maligned place-Amtrak moved out in late 1979/early 1980 and every scheme that has come along to use it has failed until recent years when the effort to save it took hold...
#52-I like that Calumet Building stone facade...
#55-On left the HSBC Building-formerly the Marine Midland Bank building-Buffalo's tallest building-I like the way it was constructed straddling Main Street and the way it passes directly below the building-I got someone to let me up and look out at the top on one of my 80s BUF trips...
#56-LRRT on Main Street on right pic.
#57-On the left the classic Electric Building and on the right M+T Bank's HQ Building-built in the 70s I believe.
#59-The Erie County Sheriff's Department HQ-a countywide Police force...
#61-The Maroney NYS Office Building...and #64-Niagara Square I believe...just a great photo tour of a neat city-Buffalo-and some classics...
As said Buffalo - in the Downtown areas and some of the better neighborhoods like Allentown are quite safe-and are quite interesting to explore. For some reason Buffalo never fails to amaze me....
-LONG ISLAND MIKE-

Never been to Buffalo before... drove through it once, many years ago. Thanks for the pics

Great pics. They certainly make Buffalo look better, probably because most of the buildings in the pictures derive from a time when Buffalo WAS better.

My dad grew up in Buffalo and now lives in the suburbs. There are some nice areas, but the economy has decimated a lot of the region. At one point Buffalo was the 8th biggest city in the US. Now its 69th. That's a huge drop over 100 years. I wonder how the city would have developed if the Pan-Am exhibition hadn't of been torn down. Thinking about how it could be used today, it really was a missed opportunity.

@ Long Island Mike

#4 is Ellicott Square
#5 yes, looking W to Niagara Sq.
#6 that old bank is beautiful indeed!
#9 Electric Tower: definitely a classic, I wanted to take it back to Hamilton with me.
#14 I thought someone would come out of the building and stop me from taking pictures.
#20 They still have some trains with the old colour scheme in operation
#36 Buffalo City Hall is one imposing building, I love it.
#50 I wish I had had time to go to the Central Terminal
#64 is Niagara Square, I would say the focal point of downtown though I found the traffic circle less than pedestrian friendly.

Thanks all!

More Buffalo Picture information!

Flar: I found a guide magazine to Buffalo issued by the Buffalo Conventioners and Visitors Bureau that I had put away dated 1978 which I got on one of my first WNY trips.

The previous info I posted was strictly from memory-I even surprised myself on how much I remembered.

Mentioned in this info was the 1901 Pan-American Exposition which took place in Buffalo that year-and how great a year it was-also tragic because US President William McKinley was assassinated in Buffalo in September of that year-the McKinley Monument in Niagara Square honors his memory. #6-The Buffalo Savings Bank Building was constructed for it as well as the Electric Building-pics #9 and #57 left-was the centerpiece of that Exposition.

In pic #9 right is the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Lafayette Square.
In pic#32 right I mistakenly identified the building with the twin Statues of Liberty as Liberty Insurance-it was the LIBERTY SAVINGS BANK building-there used to be a large sign with that on it that was between the twin Statues on top. Perhaps someone knows when they were removed.
I like the beer tap corner of the Pearl Street Grill and Brewery in pic #46.
#47,58-Buffalo had a classic Statler Hilton Hotel - Is it still a Hotel today?
#50-I decided to re-check my info for the Buffalo Central Terminal Preservation Group's web page - look here:
www.buffalocentralterminal.org/ for in-depth info on BCT's history and what the present and future may bring...
I will post more relevant info that I find on Buffalo in the future....
Long Island Mike

Back