What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct. 11

Thank-you @Daveography for connecting this project to the previous Dub project immediately south. They really should be shown as Phase I and Phase II of the same project -- one enhances the other. This is easily one of my top 5 favorite projects in Edmonton!

The City should be taking aim at a time when there would be no cars in the downtown precinct -- perhaps river valley to 105th ave; 109th Street to 95th Street.

Perhaps. I think having a major road like that right off the Arena is a good thing... But that's just me.

Lol @archited this is Alberta - you think in -30 winter an entire section of the city is gonna be foot traffic only?

@Das Ponto hah, hah -- global warming, global warming my friend -- remember that latitude was once covered with lush tropical vegetation (our oil resource) -- just kidding of course. But, seriously, many major European cities on the same latitude have already banned cars from their central areas in favor of pedestrian streets that are loaded with kiosks, and pocket parks, and sidewalk cafes. There are many ways to confront the cold -- cup of hot cocoa, pavement that sublimates snow, space heaters, warm mittens and scarves, fire pits... It doesn't have to be the whole downtown area all at once -- it has already started with "Oilers Way" between the new Edmonton Tower and Joey's Bell Tower, part of Rice Howard Way, the soon-to-be-added central plaza bounded by Stantec, Marriott, Rogers Place and the-under-construction Tower "B" (remember, these were all once vehicular streets). I would like to see 104th street from Rossdale Power Plant to Grant MacEwan turned into a pedestrian street and 102nd Ave. from 104th street to 97th street -- the resultant enlivenment of downtown would lead the charge! If you think about it, the UofA campus is largely car free and approaching downtown in scale.

Last edited:
@Das Ponto Sure, but the other 99% of the time, it's underused, encourages dangerous driving behaviour, and acts as a massive psychological barrier across downtown for pedestrians, just like most of our roads.

If people are going to bitch about bike lanes "only being used 6 months of the year" I'm going to bitch about our roads "only being used anywhere near capacity just 1-2 hours on weekdays."

Couldn't they at least have trees in the median for some of that stretch? I noticed that 104 Ave westbound has an extremely long left-turn lane for 104 St, when that could be occupied by trees or sculptures instead.

All very good points my friends. I lived in Denmark for a year, climate much more similar to Vancouver mind you - they had a ton more of walking areas, an entire shopping street that stretched 5 or 6 blocks or more and was pedestrian access only.

It was chilly, but still so busy. So I will say that yes 104 Avenue could be way better than it is and is becoming.

Back