What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Column forms for P3 now set in place; we should see floor forms for P2 starting to be set in place next week. After that pour has been completed (maybe 2 weeks out?), we will be able to see whether or not there is a so-called "soft storey" -- 2 level space left open at the core. I am really interested to see how the sub-level and the ground level interface with the winter garden structure. This looks like it will prove to be one of Edmonton's most desirable hotels and condominium living spaces.

May 6 Update

I've worked on two projects with PCL in southern California. They run a very tight ship and they are extremely professional. Great homage to the Edmonton-based Poole family! International stars of construction/development birthed in Edmonton include Poole Family and the Love family (Don Love as in Oxford Developments). Interesting to see PCL (Poole) involved in a city-centre-changing development right next to the complex developed by Don Love (Oxford) that was also city-centre-changing in the seventies.

Amen to that @Daveography -- we are trying to get out of the gate with the Rossdale concept and with an alternative proposal to Northlands' scheme that better incorporates Alberta Avenue into the picture. Long road ahead.

Calgary won the race to attract corporate oil industry offices -- for now -- (probably mostly related to slightly warmer winter climate and proximity to the mountains), but I like Edmonton's long range potential -- not quite as "dusty" as its southern neighbour and has the immense benefit of a deep-cut river valley (scenic in its own right). Even though Calgary has more central high-rise buildings than does Edmonton, I think Edmonton's core is far better composed as a skyline. As Alberta matures and develops a better built-out resource industry (less shipping of raw materials and more fabrication of end-user products, particularly in the realms of softwood, minerals, and farming), I think Edmonton will continue to grow in a much more humanistic and sustainable way.

@Daveography Still working on the Rossdale scheme -- trying to get initial financing cemented in place. I can share the Alberta Avenue scheme as soon as we release it and discuss it with Mayor and Councillors, Alberta Avenue Business Association, and the Alberta Avenue Community League -- tomorrow through the middle of next week. From a public release perspective, we will bring it to skyrise cities first (I love this format) and drive other news outlets to see the whole concept on these webpages.

Back