What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Testing the video screen. It's bright, could be seen all the way down 99 St.

You know @Daveography, I may have to rethink my criticism of Dialog on this project. Those massive cantilevers are very bold and eye catching and the OLED video screen sets off nicely against the one on the southwest corner of the building -- beautiful complement of form and striking video-graphic motion. This is a case -- attested by your brilliant photography -- where the concept renderings do no justice whatsoever to the built form. Hopefully the City will take note of the dramatic effect that lighting and light-in-motion can have on the street scene and allow more of this kind of thing -- nay, encourage this kind of thing.

Royal Alberta Museum's video wall a 'taste of what's to come'
When you’re building the glitzy $340-million Royal Alberta Museum in downtown Edmonton, sticking up a roadside billboard like its predecessor used to advertise the exhibitions inside wouldn’t cut it, the developers of the new facility decided.

The museum is instead getting a second-storey video screen 20 metres wide by nearly six metres high, wrapped around its southwest corner.

Technicians began testing the screen last week so passersby on 103 A Avenue can get a preview of the eye-catching outdoor screen as it cycles through screensaver-style, high-resolution video clips of fireworks, the planet Earth, a cloudy-sky scene, stars and waves.

When the museum opens in late 2017, the screen will showcase the newest exhibits and share information about happenings inside along with interesting facts about Alberta.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

They trying to do like a Spanish Steps kind of thing in the front there? Pretty cool if it is.

If memory serves and we go even further back in time, this clock used to be a component of the original Canadian National Passenger terminal -- moved to the Post Office when that building was built. It was taken down when the trains stopped running on time and moved to the post office so postal workers could check the time to ensure timely deliveries. Now it is time for the new museum to pick up the time and carry us into the future while remembering the past. This has been a timely exercise in considering times, past, present, and future.

Back