Put me in the category of people who thinks that Mercury Block is an overall net positive for the city - the courtyard idea is awesome, added density to an area that's seeing a lot of momentum is great as well - but the black stucco brought this down a level or two IMO. I'm not complaining, happy that this is done and residents have moved in (and hopefully don't face too many issues that we have been hearing about) but I think there's nothing wrong with also calling out the fact that not completing the exterior in brick was a huge missed opportunity.
Exactly! And for all the "little Ian's" out there - Gen Z? - it can be their modern version of "El Mirador's" infamous courtyard and my generation of the courtyard in Cam Crowe's "Singles" movie.

I too have mixed feelings about the black colour, rather than the brick (in an earlier rendering I think). It would have been superb with that, but it is still good.

Black can feel a bit overwhelming as a colour, but at least it is a colour as opposed to all the bland beiges and grays around.

Definitely not an architectural marvel, it's a black stucco box with metal railing balconies. The only thing I really like about its presence is how European-esque it is. The fact it even has an inner courtyard has me thinking the developer came up with this structure after a trip to Frankfurt or something.
Kind of like a sh*t ton of low rise buildings that exist throughout most of northern Europe. What constitutes an 'architectural' marvel anyways?

was i hallucinating or is there a hole in the ground and a few less buildings south of the Mercury block across 102? Presumably mercury block 2 is a go but is it more of the same? any renders or insight?

was i hallucinating or is there a hole in the ground and a few less buildings south of the Mercury block across 102? Presumably mercury block 2 is a go but is it more of the same? any renders or insight?

Back