Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
From Golden Falcon Homes:
Transforming one of Burlington’s most astounding commercial plaza’s and parking lots with a high-density mixed-use development requires a rethinking of our forever changing culture. Located just north of Burlington’s scenic waterfront and surrounded by elegant and supportive infrastructure, this design focuses on transforming the existing Victoria-Brant plaza into one of Ontario’s most renowned developments. This development makes an effort to create places for people and improves connectivity between both residents and visitors.

Golden Falcon Homes will be building this development to construct four mixed-use towers, retail at grade and residential upwards. There will be more information available in the near future regarding this development.

3-36.jpg

4-27.jpg

5-19.jpg

6-13.jpg

1-48.jpg

2-39.jpg

01_landscape.jpg

Google Street View looking east from Brant Street as of August:
1702480113916.png

Looking south from Victoria Ave, March 2022:
1702480619053.png

2012 Victoria Avenue (right), AKA "The W. E. Alton House", c. 1900 is listed but not designated and appears to be retained in the development concept.

2022 Victoria Avenue (left), AKA "The Bell Orchards Farmhouse", c. 1915 is also listed but not designated, also appears to be retained but may be shifted in location southward closer to 2012 Victoria Ave and a potential future John Street Extension.

Attachments

• 02_landscape.jpg
    02_landscape.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 03_landscape.jpg
    03_landscape.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 16
This better retain a grocery tenant.

There have been rumblings of this for a while.

I'm surprised they aren't going for more height. 535 Brant literally got approved a few months ago immediately next door for 10 more storeys than what they are asking for.

It's a good site for redevelopment and I broadly support the massing and scale on the Brant St. side.

Unfortunate to hire ICON for such a prominent location.

Done properly the podium on the Brant side could work, glad to see Masonry in play there. The towers are.........meh........

I do object to the weird cul-de-sac expression in the middle of the site, way too car-oriented

Amazingly they seem to manage to skirt the edge of the regulatory floodplain:

1702481652860.png

I would prefer to see the buildings on the interior buildings more tightly in line w/the John St. extension and to give the park space a bit more breathing room.

Look at this poor creek:

1702481842712.png

I don't hate this. ICON was an unfortunate choice but it's ok, I like what they've done with the massing on the corner of Brant and Victoria but I know they didn't have a choice because of the schools and park across the intersection. It also looks like there's plenty of space for a grocery tenant. The use of bollards in the central square is also a pretty smart choice considering that road has to be there for emergency access.

This is interesting. One of the first developments that seems to interact with the creek at the rear of the property. There is the very, very popular grocery store on sight, expanded not so long ago, and I had heard that the newer owner had some form of protection from the property being redeveloped for X number of years. And no mention of parking. I cannot beleive there will be none, especially if the grocery store is incorporated into the redevelopment plan. It will be interesting to see the design details as they become available.

With the number of applications and projects underway it may be time for local Burlingtonians to begin to advocate for their own LRT up Brant Street to the GO station. Tunnelled being a priority. All kidding aside, the cumulative effect on traffic ( Lakeshore East and West, Brant St North and South ) will be interesting, especially when you add in the new Wyecroft QEW diversion as well.

Burlington will finally rival the splendours of Rome and its Piazza del Campidoglio!

brantplaza_05-jpg.526876

…but it does appear you'll have to walk over to the creek to toss your three coins. (It has been a while since I've been back to Burlington…)

Back