News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Article on Lincoln Station:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...o-build-us-a-transit-station/article18610232/

The Evergreen Line’s executive project director said everything came together after the bids had already come in, which meant getting the agreement of the builder to make alterations at a set price.

Amanda Farrell said her advice to anyone planning the same in the future would be to try to get the partners in line well before the bids go out.

But Coquitlam, at least, managed to make the deadline. Coquitlam’s neighbour, the City of Burnaby, also looked at trying to develop a partnership to build Cameron Station just north of the Lougheed Centre mall.

But the city and the province couldn’t agree on how to split the cost of changing the grade of the line so that it could accommodate a station. They were still tussling about it while Coquitlam was finalizing its agreement.

“Burnaby came in late in the game. Now they’ll never have a station there,†Mr. Gravelle said.

Not a bad approach - though the drawback is that the station need to be a non-essential one for the strategy to have any leverage. Probably easier to ding them on increased tax assessment and (re)development charges instead.

AoD

Yeah, Lincoln Station is walkable distance from Coquitlam Central Station (a major transit hub with Westcoast Express).

It would be like building a station at Leslie (with bus loops) to link with Go Transit, but withholding a station at Fairview Mall (if Fairview was closer to Leslie) unless the mall owner paid up.

From SSP:

Some pics of the Burquitlam area, captured May 16th (click for full-size image):

From SSP:

I've taken a few photos of the progress of construction in the Burquitlam area; all images were captured today (May 29th, 2014). You can click each photo to view it at full resolution.

North Road and Foster Ave. looking south:

North Road and Foster Ave. looking north:

North Road and Cottonwood Ave:

Burquitlam Station:

Uneven height of column-top pads (just north of Burquitlam Station):

Clarke Road and Como Lake Ave:

Guideway erected thus far as of May 29th 2014:

There's a proposal for a second platform at Commercial-Broadway Station.

They're planning to have this ready in time for the opening of the Evergreen Line

Here's a cross-section. The new platform is on the right.
Screen-Shot-2014-06-03-at-12.08.53-PM.jpg

They make reference to this being Spanish Style, but being only 2 platforms, it's not quite there. The train on the centre track would, however, open doors on both sides. The primary purpose of the new platform is to provide a better route for everyone coming in from the east (via Millennium+Evergreen lines) to transfer to the Expo line.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2014-06-03-at-12.08.53-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2014-06-03-at-12.08.53-PM.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 738
It really is amazing how much less disruptive this elevated track is than the on street LRT and streetcar is in Toronto - both during construction and the completed sections.
A) I don't think comparing a rapid transit system with stops every kilometre or two is comparable to the equivalent of a local bus, with stops every 250 metres! How does this differ for example, to the Scarborough RT line in Toronto?

A) I don't think comparing a rapid transit system with stops every kilometre or two is comparable to the equivalent of a local bus, with stops every 250 metres! How does this differ for example, to the Scarborough RT line in Toronto?

He's comparing to digging up a roadway and laying a streetcar track or LRT tracks at-grade in street or in a median in the middle of the street (irrespective of stations). So it's comment on the configuration or placement of the tracks / guideway [exclusive ROW / non-exclusive ROW] not the vehicles that use them.

Last edited:
There's a proposal for a second platform at Commercial-Broadway Station.

They're planning to have this ready in time for the opening of the Evergreen Line

Here's a cross-section. The new platform is on the right.
View attachment 27640

They make reference to this being Spanish Style, but being only 2 platforms, it's not quite there. The train on the centre track would, however, open doors on both sides. The primary purpose of the new platform is to provide a better route for everyone coming in from the east (via Millennium+Evergreen lines) to transfer to the Expo line.

Pretty much the same as what's being done at Union Station to address congestion on a single centre platform - with the exceptions that this is an elevated station and the passenger flows allow some capacity to use the old platform from both tracks (so no glass wall).

Pretty much the same as what's being done at Union Station to address congestion on a single centre platform - with the exceptions that this is an elevated station and the passenger flows allow some capacity to use the old platform from both tracks (so no glass wall).
Commercial-Broadway has some interesting considerations, given that 90% of Millennium Line riders are from the east, transferring to/from the Expo line. The Millennium Line goes all of one stop beyond this point. Until it's extended west, there's very little need for the second platform for storing waiting passengers. It really is all about preventing the crush of people going down the stairs from blocking all access to the platform for those going the other way. I wouldn't be surprised if after there's an extension, that they put in a barrier to segregate the directions (like they're doing at Union) due to crowds now transferring from the Expo line waiting to go west to UBC.

... The Millennium Line goes all of one stop beyond this point. Until it's extended west, there's very little need for the second platform for storing waiting passengers. It really is all about preventing the crush of people going down the stairs from blocking all access to the platform for those going the other way. I wouldn't be surprised if after there's an extension, that they put in a barrier to segregate the directions (like they're doing at Union) due to crowds now transferring from the Expo line waiting to go west to UBC.

The second (centre) platform will be for exitting passengers, not waiting passengers and facilitiates passenger flow to current B-Line buses and will also do so for future M-Line to UBC.

The expansion (the 3rd platfrom, with the old centre platform having platforms 1 and 2)) is to address the morning crush of westbound M-Line passengers waiting to transfer to inbound Expo Line.
But there are also alot of inbound Expo Line passengers exitting the trains and transferring to street to westbound B-Line buses via the overpasss (Both the old and new overpasses will access the same areas across the street).
When M-Line is extended to UBC, those B-Line bus passengers will exit to transfer to westbound M-Line.

So preserving both accesses helps prevent head-on crushes between those those waitng for inbound Expo Line (on 3rd platform) and those exitting inbound Expo Line (to centre platform). I doubt that each side will be dedicated to "boarding" or "exitting" - but the doors could open to centre platform before the 3rd platform and the placement of the escalators will help direct flows.

The light orange line shows the exitting flow to B-Line on street via old centre platform.
When M-Line is extnded west, their destination will shift from the street to the M-Line platform:

Screen-Shot-2014-06-03-at-12.11.52-PM.png

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/06/...-station-upgrade-include-additional-platform/

The other side of the old centre platform is outbound Expo Line, and it's unlikely that you would have crush loads waiting to board in the morning rush (Metrotown and Surrey aren't building office space that fast) or exitting trains from downtown.

The afternoon rush tends to be more dispersed over time and unless there's a game on, there's unlikely to be a crush load waiting for inbound Expo Line.

Last edited:
Gah, I had the Lines switched in my head. Not the first time I've made that mistake... at least this time I didn't get on the wrong train.
I'll have to think about what this means for passenger flow again. :D

Ahh, that explains it.

Union Station would experience much more even flows on both platforms, being at the bottom of the loop, so there's little excess centre platform capacity that can be used (so no benefit in opening both sides of one train).

Last edited:
From SSP:

Posted June 4, 2014:

Below is a never before seen or photographed (by our usual contributors) image of the Coquitlam Central Station in the Evergreen Line Facebook page.

10387477_823120484401124_2760036703215248341_n.jpg

Posted June 5, 2014:

Horrible image due to the fence, facing the sun, and the fact I only had 2 min to take the pic and make my connection.. But here's the first gantry column, immediately east of Coquitlam Central Station...

b6qyog.jpg

I see what you mean about the buses - maybe they'll excavate for the roadway to Lougheed Hwy (is the grade of Lougheed Hwy noticeably lower than this site?)
But I guess the entire station elevation is low because the line passes under Mariner Way.
So it looks like the bent that you show will be the station entrance.

6692080023_371ff132be_z.jpg

Here's a May 25th pic by dpogue of Coquitlam Central Station - you can see Mariner Way overpass on the right:

IMG_20140525_092405.jpg

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...933958664133015026/albums/5912605598382151729

Posted June 4, 2014:

Yup. It sure seems like we don't get that many updates of Coquitlam Central Station.

Not the best shots, but I just wanted to share the progress over on North Road. It looks like they're getting ready to move the gantry crane over to position the next segment of guideway.

Posted June 6, 2014:

From June 6, 2014 - video approaching Lougheed Station:

Video from this morning at Lougheed showing that not much has visibly changed with regards to the guideway. They have rebar in place for pouring cement for the sides of the inbound guideway.

Last edited:
Pics of Coquitlam Central Station from SSP.
The additional rebar columns to the right in the first pics are for a switch and spur
for a future extension to Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows.

Photo taken June 12th...

2gtwyzr.jpg

1zof6lz.jpg

6ns0ic.jpg

2eg63nt.jpg

142h4w3.jpg

Not sure what are they doing with the spur..

Last time, we prebuilt a platform at Lougheed station for the Evergreen Line. This time, the drawing shows that we will be building 2 stub tracks and 2 support columns for future Poco extension that might not happen before the end of this century... Seems like our provincial government is quite committed to build skytrain everywhere :D
b7kpll.jpg

And this is what I gather from Appendix I - the potential track map for the line! This document is even older though (dated 2011) - it still have Cameron station, so I just put it in!
2ymc38j.jpg

Note: VSF = Vehicle Storage Facility... it is actually just lots of parallel tracks

Last edited:

Back