I totally agree. I love the waterfront, that's why I live here. I was here when they did the trial run years ago, and I have been waiting for this ever since.

It's all hands on deck today! There are a dozen workers laying down the cobblestone on the Peter Street Bridge. It's gone from "there's no way they're going to finish this" to "at this pace they'll finish it today!"

rNtmCcO.jpg

Took a handful more pictures of the stupid drivers today...was only there briefly this time.

Taxi on wrong side of road at York:

IMG_0546.JPG

I don't even know what these people were thinking. Minivan turned left from southbound York to the service road and at the last second decided to change their mind--maybe incorrectly assumed they had gone into the wrong road, admittedly the service road isn't well identified--and decided to stop there and eventually reverse. Civic behind it did the same thing, reversed immediately, but did so very poorly and ended up blocking much of the south side road for a while. All this time there were some people who were clearly more familiar with the area trying to get into the service road--presumably Harbour Square residents--honking at them because they couldn't get in, shaking their heads:

IMG_0547.JPG

Finally a couple of people at Lower Simcoe coming out of the Harbourfront Centre garage paying absolutely no attention to the massive "stop here on red signal" sign a car length behind them. The first one crawled forward a bit more before his green, blocking the streetcar ROW, and the second one actually went ahead and made a right on that red almost getting T-Boned by a streetcar--and he had run the left turn red to get in here in the first place just to make a u turn!

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

Police NEED to start enforcing the law on Queen's Quay! Dangerous, reckless, illegal driving is taking place with absolutely no penalties. It will continue to be like that until either there's an accident and possible fatality every hour, or $250+ tickets get handed out every few minutes for a week. No reason for most drivers to correct their behaviour if there are no penalties.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    375.9 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 633
The chaos of driver stupidity on QQ is appalling.

I suggest to everyone that is observing and documenting all the this report it to the police. Posting pics here is good but ultimately it's the police that have the power to clamp down on this.

416-808-2222

Finally a couple of people at Lower Simcoe coming out of the Harbourfront Centre garage paying absolutely no attention to the massive "stop here on red signal" sign a car length behind them. The first one crawled forward a bit more before his green, blocking the streetcar ROW, and the second one actually went ahead and made a right on that red almost getting T-Boned by a streetcar--and he had run the left turn red to get in here in the first place just to make a u turn!
Is there a "no right turn on red" sign for those driveways? It's be a good idea to have those for all driveways on the south side of the road.

I drove through today. I don't see what the confusion is. It all seems obvious to me. Line markings clearly show E B vs WB, but then again, I've lived down here for a long time. Bike path is looking awesome, can't wait to try it.

Is there a "no right turn on red" sign for those driveways? It's be a good idea to have those for all driveways on the south side of the road.

Yes, every single one does have a no right on red sign. All of the signage is logical and ensures safe and efficient use of the road--if it is obeyed, which it is not.

June 6
Who reads sign theses days??? Was on a 506 At St George with 4 cars turn left illegal as the sign states Mon-Sat. The driver lay on the horn but did no good as those cars turn left anyways and delaying him.

Divers turning west off the n-s street think there is 2 lanes for them like the past and drive into the eastbound one. Some were where the eastbound lane is not open.

Cabs are going to cause accidents, get someone hit, injure or kill by them stopping to drop off or pickup riders in the westbound lane. Then they stop to grab something to eat or drink and not using the lay bye bays. Saw a few close calls where the eastbound car was almost hit by a westbound driving in their lane around the cab.

MGT is 100% complete from Bathurst St to Yo-Yo Ma Lane to the point it has making guide for the painting of markers. Even all the driveways for the full width has the guide for the MGT.

The driveway by the loop is now 100% brick. No idea why markings are down on the MGT sub base on the east side of this driveway and has Yonge St there as well.

Tuesday should see the completion of the first haft of Rees Robertson Ct complete as its waiting bricking. The other haft should be completed by Friday subject to weather. No one working on site Sat.

Police officer on duty at Rees and east Robertson Ct in the afternoon considering I saw none in the morning. Had to deal with a driver who turn onto the ROW going east and force it back to use the eastbound lane.

A number of illegal right hand turn divers almost got clip by TTC drivers who were laying on the horn. A few driver finger the TTC driver and completed the turn. The rest went east. I guess we need to put flashing no right hand turn signs.

I will post photos when I get time this week

Large swimming pool with sandy beach and palm trees, covered by gigantic glass dome would be nice ;)

It would bring in the crowds and make it a year round destination. I always thought H2O Park West should have come with a (indoor/outdoor) swimming pool beside the lake.

Last edited:
It would bring in the crowds and make it a year round destination. I always thought H2O Park West should have come with a (indoor/outdoor) swimming pool beside the lake.

Speaking of which...what happened to that indoor water park that was proposed last year?

The point is, this is a great start. It is likely to improve the popularity of the area, in all seasons... which in turn will attract more businesses and better ones. Rome wasn't built in a day, nor was Las Ramblas. The architecture isn't great here, to be sure, but an improved public realm may even encourage improved future design... and wait for the trees to grow and mature, it's a big part of the design!

the point is, for the scale of the project, it doesn't look good. A good start? You talk as if such projects happen every 5 years. Next time something as major as this happens you and I may be already dead.

Low standard is the right word for it. We never want anything to be grand and impressive. We treat it just as a regular street, not a waterfront boulevard destination and therefore the complete lack of beauty and attractiveness. We only want it to "work fine". See, people still come to it so it must be working fine! That's the logic we use all the time.

You're missing the entire point. The groundwork has been laid and it *is* impressive.
The entire central waterfront has been given to people and transit with cars as an after thought. All the sidewalks have been done in cobblestone, unlike anywhere else in Toronto. I can't even think of anywhere in Canada that has that extensive use of cobblestone.
Trees were given conditions to thrive where their roots can expand freely allowing for large healthy trees. It'll take time for them to grow into the majestic canopies we see in the renderings but in just a few years, they'll be quite large already.
Underground, the infrastructure that has been built will prevent water runoff from going into the lake. In our generation, Toronto harbour will be swimable!
The highest standard of communications infrastructure has been put in allowing for businesses and jobs of the future to locate on Toronto's waterfront.
Waterfront Toronto has built a highly attractive waterfront street that will attract private investment. It already has in the billions of private dollars. You'll begin seeing the value of storefronts going up and as a result, high quality businesses opening up in those store fronts. Instead of dry cleaners and sandwich shops, it's likely that the world class restaurant entrepreneurs of Toronto will flock to Queens Quay.
The street was the bait and now we watch as private sector takes it and runs with it.

Last edited:

HTO Park North has yet to be built. The parking lot just north is to become an extension of the park. I too want to see more water features on the waterfront and there is enough room in the north park to do just that. If not a full public pool, a big splash pad like Crown Fountain in Chicago's Millenium park would be absolutely amazing here.

G07cSq9.jpg

20080517_Crown_Fountain_towers_from_overhead.jpg

Last edited:

Back