News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Do you have any proof of this as it pertains to Pride and the LGBT community? Do you personally know that his support of Pride is not heartfelt?

Obviously I don't have proof. It would be impossible to prove this claim without a lie detector test or some sort of written/verbal statement. I think common sense and observation is sufficient in this case. When he is he ever genuine about anything he talks about? Do you think about John Tory and say to yourself: now that is an honest man? He's as crooked as politicians get. I don't believe for a second that he cares about Pride. He is a 60 something, conservative man. What possible connection could he have with the LGBT community? I think he knows how advantageous Pride is for him. It's an opportunity to shine a light on himself and make him look much better and more empathetic than our previous mayor; not to mention, it puts him in better standing with social liberals; strengthening his support among our electorate. I really think he is exploiting LGBT people, and that ought to make you angry.

Don't mistake his excellent oratory skills for passion and sincerity. It's easy to look past his empty words and gestures if you look close. His imagistics (if that's a word) are very good and psychologically appealing. He is always smiling and looks friendly. This, automatically, makes him attractive to many people and makes him appear to be a trustworthy person. Compare that with his sidekick, Denzil, who has absolutely no charisma or positive body language. The latter is much easier to perceive because he speaks and acts exactly how he feels. He doesn't care about being politically correct or fashionable.

Obviously I don't have proof. It would be impossible to prove this claim without a lie detector test or some sort of written/verbal statement. I think common sense and observation is sufficient in this case. When he is he ever genuine about anything he talks about? Do you think about John Tory and say to yourself: now that is an honest man? He's as crooked as politicians get. I don't believe for a second that he cares about Pride. He is a 60 something, conservative man. What possible connection could he have with the LGBT community? I think he knows how advantageous Pride is for him. It's an opportunity to shine a light on himself and make him look much better and more empathetic than our previous mayor; not to mention, it puts him in better standing with social liberals; strengthening his support among our electorate. I really think he is exploiting LGBT people, and that ought to make you angry.

Don't mistake his excellent oratory skills for passion and sincerity. It's easy to look past his empty words and gestures if you look close. His imagistics (if that's a word) are very good and psychologically appealing. He is always smiling and looks friendly. This, automatically, makes him attractive to many people and makes him appear to be a trustworthy person. Compare that with his sidekick, Denzil, who has absolutely no charisma or positive body language. The latter is much easier to perceive because he speaks and acts exactly how he feels. He doesn't care about being politically correct or fashionable.

John Tory can be accused of many things as a politician. He has proven to dither on important issues; he has proven to be a "small c" conservative on many urban issues that are important to a lot of folks on this board, and he has probably made the wrong decision on removing the Gardiner Expressway. However, to argue that he is exploiting Pride and LGBT people in Toronto, seems extremely unsubstantiated.

What visible connection could he have with the LGBT community? What visible connection did Ed Clark have to the LGBT community? What connection does my father (a white 60-something conservative voter) have to the LGBT community?).

Whether you like it or not John Tory has advocated for same-sex marriage since 2004: http://www.samesexmarriage.ca/advocacy/oos280907.htm. Arguing that he has not been a supporter for LGBT equality for the past decade is disingenuous and as exploitative as you purport him to be. There are enough things with which attack and disagree with John Tory over from a policy standpoint. Nit-picking and or trying to make him into a homophobe removes actual attempts at criticism and simply renders the attacks as shrill and un-substantive.

http://egale.ca/all/john-tory-win-makes-support-for-equal-marriage-unanimous/

John Tory can be accused of many things as a politician. He has proven to dither on important issues; he has proven to be a "small c" conservative on many urban issues that are important to a lot of folks on this board, and he has probably made the wrong decision on removing the Gardiner Expressway. However, to argue that he is exploiting Pride and LGBT people in Toronto, seems extremely unsubstantiated.

What visible connection could he have with the LGBT community? What visible connection did Ed Clark have to the LGBT community? What connection does my father (a white 60-something conservative voter) have to the LGBT community?).

Whether you like it or not John Tory has advocated for same-sex marriage since 2004: http://www.samesexmarriage.ca/advocacy/oos280907.htm. Arguing that he has not been a supporter for LGBT equality for the past decade is disingenuous and as exploitative as you purport him to be. There are enough things with which attack and disagree with John Tory over from a policy standpoint. Nit-picking and or trying to make him into a homophobe removes actual attempts at criticism and simply renders the attacks as shrill and un-substantive.

http://egale.ca/all/john-tory-win-makes-support-for-equal-marriage-unanimous/

As for Tory advocating for same sex marriage since 2004; he had also attempted to become the mayor for several elections prior to being elected. For all we know, his support of same sex marriage was used as leverage to garner more support for him from the left. Additionally, advocating for that (and considering how well known John Tory is/was) could have made him look like a very sensitive person to others and made him more attractive to do business with. There are all sorts of reasons why he could have thrown his support behind this issue; I just have a hard time believing that he really cares; I could be wrong.

How does my questioning of his position on this issue paint him as a homophobe? Having an indifference to the whole Pride issue isn't indicative of hatred, animosity or discrimination towards gay people. Many gay people don't support Pride. There's middle ground.

I just don't trust anything John Tory says. He has a history of being a dubious person and there are no indications that he has changed. You're free to disagree, as it pertains to this issue.

John Tory reminds me of this character from Coming to America:

As for Tory advocating for same sex marriage since 2004; he had also attempted to become the mayor for several elections prior to being elected. For all we know, his support of same sex marriage was used as leverage to garner more support for him from the left. Additionally, advocating for that (and considering how well known John Tory is/was) could have made him look like a very sensitive person to others and made him more attractive to do business with. There are all sorts of reasons why he could have thrown his support behind this issue; I just have a hard time believing that he really cares; I could be wrong.

He actually supported Same Sex marriage when he was leader of the provincial Conservative party... which, I actually think should be commended considering there are factions of that party (including its current leader) who have not been as supportive of the LGBT community. Again - there are many things to chastise JT about; however, trying to paint him as duplicitous in his support of Pride and the LGBT community isn't one of them.

My challenge about this board (these days) and the tone towards JT is that the disdain often articulated towards him is often as close minded as the criticism leveled against him... There is much to criticize and debate over a Tory mayoralty, however, I really don't think this is one of them.

He actually supported Same Sex marriage when he was leader of the provincial Conservative party... which, I actually think should be commended considering there are factions of that party (including its current leader) who have not been as supportive of the LGBT community. Again - there are many things to chastise JT about; however, trying to paint him as duplicitous in his support of Pride and the LGBT community isn't one of them.

My challenge about this board (these days) and the tone towards JT is that the disdain often articulated towards him is often as close minded as the criticism leveled against him... There is much to criticize and debate over a Tory mayoralty, however, I really don't think this is one of them.

Fair enough.

John Tory's support for the LGBT community does not require that he had to have hung out every weekend at The Barn back in the day to prove his sincerity today.

Has there been a rift between Tory and Councilor Michael Thompson?

I just realized Thompson was removed from the police board, something that was of great interest of him, and he recently has voted against the Hybrid Gardiner.

Has there been a rift between Tory and Councilor Michael Thompson?

I just realized Thompson was removed from the police board, something that was of great interest of him, and he recently has voted against the Hybrid Gardiner.

I had noticed the same. It seemed like Tory's flip flop on carding was to get Thompson's (among others) vote on the Gardiner, but he went for the boulevard anyway.

FWIW, I can assure you that you're wrong.

Are you telepathic? ;) I guess the same could be asked of me?

To be honest, I don't really care what his position on this issue is. I just find him to be a snake oil salesman. From my experience, basically every time John Tory opens his mouth, most of what comes out sounds feigned to me. Anyway, I don't want to clog up this thread with any more discussion about this. I was just curious if others felt mutual.

To be honest, I don't really care what his position on this issue is. I just find him to be a snake oil salesman. From my experience, basically every time John Tory opens his mouth, most of what comes out sounds feigned to me. Anyway, I don't want to clog up this thread with any more discussion about this. I was just curious if others felt mutual.

Which politicians do you not have this experience with?

FWIW, I actually think Tory is less of a snake oil salesman than most politicians. His critics on UT seem to boil down to those left-wingers who would not like any center-right or right-wing politician, and those of us who think he's wrong on specific issues (in my case, the Gardiner East).

If his BoT speech is any indication, his game plan seems to have been (a) quick wins -- getting the police to tow cars to show he's fighting congestion, trying to get his allies onto the various committees, then (b) expand his agenda to the usual conservative tropes -- 'fight red tape', 'get the city moving', etc. It's pretty much beige center-right policy-making.

If he's absolutely serious about cost-cutting (which I don't think any conservative politician really is, quite frankly), he needs to confront the elephant in the room -- the police and EMS budgets. With a new Chief and his man Pringle confirmed on the Board and a new head of the Board, I'm assuming he has as much leverage as he could ever have. I'm sure that'll be frittered away. C'mon, Tory -- surprise me! Do a fiscally conservative budget, and cut the policing cost by 10%! Hahaha...

It's real interesting in Col. Flagg's reality... it's funny though, I don't remember sex acts, live or otherwise, in the parade. Nudity is frowned upon, and toplessness, that's legal.

His Worship John Liberal's Official Opposition
1 hr ·
Interesting piece about Tory, and his statement that Pride "makes Toronto great."

Many Torontonians do not have issues not with the true essence of Pride itself -- namely acknowledging and celebrating a gay/lesbian/transgendered lifestyle -- but with illegal public nudity and more. "Matt Wojciechowski of Campaign Life Coalition said it’s “very troubling” to have the city’s mayor claim that an event containing “obscene nudity and men performing sex acts on each other in front... of passersby, including children, is a celebration of the ‘essence’ of what makes this city great.”"

Read on at:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/…/mayor-calls-annual-pride-par…

Last edited:

Back