News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I enjoyed the opening ceremony but I went from feeling privileged being there watching it live to feeling trapped indoors and left out from watching the incredible CN Tower fireworks display.

They missed an incredible opportunity to show of the SkyDome's opening roof while treating those inside the Opening Ceremony to a fireworks display. They could've worked the roof opening into the speeches that went on for long enough to open the dome.

I really hope that there's a repeat of the fireworks for the closing ceremony.

So many awesome shots of the fireworks all over social media :) Had a great view from my balcony. And yes, the speeches were long enough to be able to get the roof open! On the other hand, those inside got to see the spectacle of the show; those of us who didn't get to go in got to see the spectacle of the fireworks, so there was something for everyone. I vote for using the CN tower for fireworks more often.

Love the Toronto sign. It's really magnetic. The square was buzzing even after midnight with people just sitting in front of it, photographing on it, and climbing on it.

#TO2015
by Bryan Bonnici, on Flickr

So, it sounds like it was a great start! But, much more importantly, did DDA get to the cottage without fuss, despite the horror of HOV? Was Code Monkey able to drive in circles around Toronto, or did the 401 slow him down despite the Gardiner flowing? Inquiring minds want to know... :rolleyes:
Traffic overall was better than the usual Friday. The stretch of eastbound QEW between Erin Mills and Mississauga Road at 6pm looked like Sunday morning - westbound was the usual mess. 401 was also smooth sailing going east from the 427 to 404!
It might be the combination of people who needed to be downtown took transit, and headed to downtown early, and people who usually go downtown for their evening social life decided to do transit and/or stayed home.

Last edited:
They couldn't open the Dome because the staging inside was hanging from it. I too wanted to see the dome open up at some point (having a base jumper actually come down into the Dome form the CN Tower instead of on video would have been cool) but realized as soon as I saw the set-up inside that it just couldn't happen. They would not have been able to have the lighting/suspended staging aspects unless they built columns around the stage, which would have cut off site lines.
Even without the dome opening, it was a spectacular opening ceremonies. You could see the firework display on large screens inside the Dome, and hear them going off.

I hope they consider having firework displays atop the CN Tower for New Years Eve in the future. Think about how iconic the New York, Sydney and Paris celebrations are. Toronto could definitely give those cities a run for their money.

In my opinion: a sturdier, permanent version of the Toronto sign at NPS should be installed. People love taking photos in front stuff like that, and it would add some colour to the square.

Also move NYE fireworks to the CN tower because even this very short show was spectacular.

FWIW, my non-sportsy 30ish Queen West cousin said the city feels really fun and vibrant this week, lots of great vibe, people chilling. She actually said she's going to maybe grab tix to something, just for fun.

It's too bad we can't spruce ourselves up just because. We had to wait for company to come. Fountains that work, flowers everywhere, fireworks from the CN Tower, a cool sign in NPS. Let's keep them all.

Traffic overall was better than the usual Friday. The stretch of eastbound QEW between Erin Mills and Mississauga Road at 6pm looked like Sunday morning - westbound was the usual mess. 401 was also smooth sailing going east from the 427 to 404!
It might be the combination of people who needed to be downtown took transit, and headed to downtown early, and people who usually go downtown for their evening social life decided to do transit and/or stayed home.
Traffic was fantastic today. I took thd Gardiner to QEW to 427 to 401 to Trafalgar Rd. today at 10am, and then the same in reverse, arriving back in Cabbagetown at 1pm. Couldn't use the HOV lanes as solo driver. The drive was great, the highways were empty, 100 kph was possible everywhere.

Pam Am has done a great job of persuading everyone to avoid Toronto, much to my benefit on the roads.

Back