I do think that 10pm lights-out is a bit early, but if the lights remain as bright as they are shown during this testing period, it is only courteous to the residents of the upper floors and to nearby neighbours to enjoy their darkness. That being said, I assume that these LED's are dimmable, so hopefully we'll get an elegant dimming on and dimming off period in which these could remain on for longer. The lights will be enjoyable and hopefully operated for longer periods in the winter time when it gets dark at like 5pm.

Thats probably the time when they would normally go off, even when they become a permanent fixture. When I lived at Luna, our lights were timed to turn off at 10:30. I believe Parade has theirs scheduled to turn off at 10:00.
What's the point in even lighting a building if the lights are turned off so early? They would only be on for an hour or so in the summer. The lights should remain on until sunrise. And why can't Aura's lights be turned on permanently now? Everything seems to be resolved, so what's with the delay?

Maybe after 10 pm there could be a light show for a minute or so every hour like the CN Tower does? Assuming the strips of light don't all have to be lit together.

Why wouldn't blinds/curtains keep light out of people's units? No light should be able to penetrate curtains.

Yes, and they likely would not have bought here if they were told that they would have lights shining through their windows while they were trying to sleep, or that they would be spending millions on a condo, only to have to keep their blinds closed at night.

Its a condo, it's main purpose is to be a comfortable place for people to live. Not be a lighthouse.

I think that if you want to live in this location you either dont go to bed at 10 pm or you are ok with closing the blinds. I imagine the appeal to most living in Aura is its proximity to the city around it.

This isn't Woodbridge.

I think that if you want to live in this location you either dont go to bed at 10 pm or you are ok with closing the blinds. I imagine the appeal to most living in Aura is its proximity to the city around it.

This isn't Woodbridge.

And yet the city has limits on how bright billboards can be, is spending millions on new streetlights to reduce light pollution, and works with commercial properties to reduce light pollution.

Its not a matter of trying to be Woodbridge. It's about creating a liveable and healthy city.

The city is pretty dead on weeknights around 10. So it's really not much of an issue. On weekends however, I agree.

Im pretty sure that those who bought in the building would disagree though. And to be fair, the building only exists because of them, so their opinion matters more than some people on a forum, or some people walking by on the street.
The city is dead on week nights? Haha. Okay then.

10724865_118080488533516_2032020168_n.jpg

Taken tonight by me.

From their blog:

If you missed the lights last night, you’re in luck! Catch another sneak peek tonight! We know many of you have been asking about the lights so this is your chance to snap some amazing photos before the lighting feature is a regular occurrence in the city. Post your pics with the hashtag #AuraLights and we’ll be rounding up all of our favourite photos on our blog, Twitter, and Facebook, and giving credit to all of you amazing Toronto photographers who have been with us throughout this process.
Soon we'll officially announce when Aura's landmark glow will be permanently turned on - stay tuned.

http://auracondos.blogspot.ca/2015/07/auras-landmark-glow.html

The city is dead on week nights? Haha. Okay then.

Yes. I lived at Yonge/College for 2 years. The streets are pretty quiet around that time. I don't mean dead like MCC dead, but definitely dead enough for a condo to not be concerned about people missing out on their rooftop lighting.

That last pic you posted btw... Amazing!

Back