Why is hoarding going up? How can they proceed with any demolition/construction if no design has been approved?
Demo permits are posted on the hording now.

Given the depth of the hole to be dug here, you are fast tracking the process until the plans are approved. You are ready to build when the plans are approve, not start digging and set things back longer.

Very pleased they are preserving at least the Victorian facades, my immediate thought when seeing that photo was hoping they were maintaining it. What design are they moving forward with.. the exo-skeleton or the hanger design?

Funny, Foster and Partners found it junky enough to be worth working into their plans, to the point of referring to the scale and features on the Yonge facade - so unless you have a sense of taste that is more refined than theirs....

AoD
I believe they had no choice to advance on this quickly if not keeping the facade,
Seeing what happened at Stollerys, the city would have taken extra years to issue approvals if Mizrahi did not compromise on this

I believe they had no choice to advance on this quickly if not keeping the facade,
Seeing what happened at Stollerys, the city would have taken extra years to issue approvals if Mizrahi did not compromise on this

And so? The preliminary product suggested a building with just as much class even with the heritage structure preserved. Since Mizrahi isn't going ahead with the original X-bracing scheme due to cost anyways, the insinuation that this will somehow wreck it is moot.

To put it bluntly, the junk comment is grade A nonsense.

AoD

Judging from this, One Bloor east will be completely shadowed from the west,
also what is that 250-300m skinny tower to the west (Cumberland Terrace, 1 tower??)

Too bad. The green building could look great fixed up, and would help Hue's from looking too lonely in front of whatever giant is to rise behind it. Heritage facades often seem forced or tacked-on when they lose their context.

Actually I find that Foster did a great job of replicating the scale on Yonge:

16036-53970.jpg

16036-53969.jpg

16036-54009.jpg

(pics from http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/05/one-flux-plan-evolves-planning-concerns-0)

There is a conscious attempt to create a sympathetic but unslavish extension to the Hue building southward while separating the tower itself visually. I think that's deftly handled.

AoD

Actually I find that Foster did a great job of replicating the scale on Yonge:

There is a conscious attempt to create a sympathetic but unslavish extension to the Hue building southward while separating the tower itself visually. I think that's deftly handled.

AoD

Interesting. I haven't seen that sketch before, and I think you're right - the Hue's facade actually looks quite sensitively integrated. Glad to see it!

If it is nothing special, then why was it given a heritage designation?

You say that as if it means something. It's the same reason an old, rusting train shed was given "heritage designation," because preservationists have diluted the system with buildings that really aren't special or worthy of saving, thus lowering the value of all buildings under that designation.

Back