people can be height fans and disappointed over this and have no issue with her.

It is still very tall, but lets be honest, as a majority we (UT) would generally like things taller rather than shorter.

View attachment 53065

Can't resist commenting, but this is one of the funnier renderpeople I've seen. I like coffee as much as the next guy, but double-fisting your Starbucks? Really?

Maybe he got starstruck and dumbfounded because he noticed Zooey Deschanel walking her dog next to him (at least I'm fairly certain that's her).

Thanks for causing me to look at the original more closely Alvin (I haven't had time to "go deep" on these myself until now), but here's what you're looking at, much more close-up, and I'd say we have something interesting coming here!

View attachment 53065

So it looks like this will be the new retail mall entrance.

I love this concept! Converting Hell's Kitchen site into the entrance to the mall component is a great idea that will have a very positive street-level effect on pedestrian traffic. It will be busy potentially like the Queen street entrance of Eaton Centre.

Generally, I like the new renderings more than the original one.

Judging from this, One Bloor east will be completely shadowed from the west,
also what is that 250-300m skinny tower to the west (Cumberland Terrace, 1 tower??)

I find it so difficult to think that 1BE is going to be dwarfed in just a few years time.

Last edited:

[/QUOTE]
On the new rendering , you can put Uptown residence (158m) on top of One Bloor East (257m) and it may not surpass The One.
If the official height has not increased the new rendering might be off.

I like this rendering better. The trees on the top of the building with the pillars beside it makes the building look more presentable in the area. I like the bronze and tan look for the facade. I hope they use windows the have a frosted white look like the rendering. If not something golden like the royal bank look wood make this building stand out for miles!

On the new rendering , you can put Uptown residence (158m) on top of One Bloor East (257m) and it may not surpass The One.
If the official height has not increased the new rendering might be off.

I think both renders under represent One Bloor's actual height and slenderness, so I wouldn't dig too much into the renders.
It's also nice seeing both renders next to each other. It gets rid of all doubt in my mind that this current iteration is superior - making the previous already looks dated.

Sorry to put it this way AG, but seriously? You know that the height of every tower in the Bloor-Yorkville is judged against whether or not it will cast more shadow on the Jesse Ketchum playground.

Bankruptcy would likely be larger obstacle than shadowing. The density would be absurd too.

Why not build it @ 380 meters if they'd like to, what stops it?
There's no way Toronto will get a 380 meter building in our lifetime with the current planning guidelines. People with find a way to complain till the end of the earth before something like that will ever be built. The Mirivsh building broke the precedent but if it was proposed at even 330 meters, the city wouldnt even blink an eye before rejecting it.

The sad thing is that taller buildings would benefit the city a lot more then a bunch of 150-200 meter buildings, densely packed together with little variation in height.

There's no way Toronto will get a 380 meter building in our lifetime with the current planning guidelines. People with find a way to complain till the end of the earth before something like that will ever be built. The Mirivsh building broke the precedent but if it was proposed at even 330 meters, the city wouldnt even blink an eye before rejecting it.

The sad thing is that taller buildings would benefit the city a lot more then a bunch of 150-200 meter buildings, densely packed together with little variation in height.

Well, yes, any municipality benefits from high density if it means you are consolidating future investments in both public infrastructure and public services. Liveability in and amongst high-density real estate, though, can become increasingly questionable without adequate transit options, green space and streetscaping.

It is not just NIMBYs who fight against tall towers; developers and governments do too. These large projects eat up more of the available market, possibly meaning less for other enterprises. For government, a lot of additional density often means infrastructure upgrades they may not be immediately prepared for (unfortunately). From an economic perspective, developments of a more modest degree tend to be more easily absorbed by the market, calming fears from investors.

If every new tower that went up in Toronto was a supertall it is more likely that a sudden price correction would occur, stunting new projects from happening. We should be thankful for the historic progress made in Toronto's downtown -- even if some descriptions of it reduce the meaning to "a bunch" of 150-200 metre buildings. Has this been the largest and longest real estate boom in Canadian or North American (or Western) history?

In terms of The One, I'm liking the new rendering, and I wouldn't be overly upset about a slight height reduction.

Sorry, but you are showing your ignorance of the development industry and the planning process. It's not just about proposing high buildings, and the city shooting them down. Developers need a business case for a tall building, and it's still tough to make a case for a supertall here. The proposals are getting taller, but we only have two barely-supertall proposals so far, and both remain untested sales-wise. Meanwhile, the city evaluates every building against their tall building guidelines, the official plan, and within its neighbourhood context to see how good a neighbour it will be. There are many criteria to judge that. It's about good planning, and not about satisfying a fanboy's quest for ever bigger erections on the skyline.

I like the design, especially at street level, but unfortunately I was very impressed with the original and I find myself looking at that as a point of comparison now; who knows what the final incarnation will be. As for a super-talls- I find they look awkward beyond a certain height, almost to the point of ridiculous when I see pictures of the abominations going up in asia and the middle-east. With supertalls there are additional construction costs and architectural challenges that would command higher prices per unit, which is why smaller twin tower projects make more sense here I suppose.

Last edited:

Back