Is there some sort of hidden bylaw that bans anything except blue glass south of Front street? There is way too much of it in this area already, and this developer intents to further contribute to the monotomy that is South Core.

This is how I feel as well. I don't want to directly express this opinion because my knowledge of architectural terms is severely lacking, and I know to many here expressing opinions can come across as trolling. But it just seems too... glass-y. It'd be nice to throw in a neo-brutalist (not sure if that's a term?) structure, or something with strong structural expressionism (like The One) just to break the glass monotony.

Is there some sort of hidden bylaw that bans anything except blue glass south of Front street? There is way too much of it in this area already, and this developer intents to further contribute to the monotomy that is South Core.

View attachment 62467

Actually, that by-law originally only allowed buildings with primarily concrete cladding to be constructed in this area. Sometime in the early 2000s it was amended to allow the glass. In fact, a broad range of glass colours are permitted, with the spectrum ranging from bluish-green to whitish-blue.

This previously posted yet to my knowledge pretty recent render makes these buildings looks less like the typical barely blue glass we see in these parts. If these renders are accurate I'd be happy. I like glass. It's just nice to have a variety of colours.

This I hope will change but is currently one awful wind swept waste land of a plaza.

No fountains, no benches, no greenery - nothing.
No imagination?

I Should say though, the towers look fabulous - very creative. I hope they aren't all glass - but I'm also sure that glass is more "cost effective", so...

8C4CD2B7-4C8D-4FC5-B28A-46FC671F00E9.jpg

Back