News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

lol offended someone from the suburbs dare suggest de-amalgamating from the mother ship?

Your cheap shots are pathetic but duly noted.

Scarborough only managed to annex Pickering west of the Rouge River in 1974.

Now if only North York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough had annexed the north side of Steeles Avenue, at least to the railway, around the same time. Most of the residents who live on the north side of Steeles make use of the Steeles Avenue buses, which is subsidized by the residents of Toronto and not York Region.

Now if only North York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough had annexed the north side of Steeles Avenue, at least to the railway, around the same time. Most of the residents who live on the north side of Steeles make use of the Steeles Avenue buses, which is subsidized by the residents of Toronto and not York Region.
The railway in question dips into Toronto city limits twice: once near Peel Region and another near Durham Region.

Better yet, Toronto should annex all of York Region south of Highway 407. After all, Metro Toronto was carved out of York County south of Steeles before York County was upgraded to York Region.

Highway 407 makes a natural (actually man-made) Great Wall of Toronto.

Lol! Now I've got a funny image in my head.

Time to secure the frontier, stop the northerners from plundering us, and make them pay tribute to us instead?

If amalgamation never happened, David Miller would have become the mayor of the Old City of Toronto and tax the people there to death :rolleyes:

If amalgamation never happened, David Miller would have become the mayor of the Old City of Toronto and tax the people there to death :rolleyes:

You do know there were property taxes for the city, property taxes for metro, and property taxes for education. The city and metro had (past tense) responsibility for their own jurisdiction. Police and TTC would be metro's responsibility, while garbage collection and water distribution would be the city's, for example.

Highway 407 makes a natural (actually man-made) Great Wall of Toronto.

Yes, Parkway Belt (407 corridor) is a more natural boundary than Steeles. Steeles was actually the border between Mississauga and Brampton originally, and was later shifted to the belt and the-then new Halwest Sub. But when Metro was created, the belt didn't exist yet, so Steeles seemed natural.

I'm no Miller fan and never was, but please excuse my ignorance in asking how one goes about taxing someone to death. I'm very intrigued.

It's a legitimate question. I'm assuming that upon reaching certain levels of taxation necessities such as housing and food come to be provided for the citizenry by the taxing authority. Ergo, you can't really tax someone to death....unless perhaps you consider American health insurance premiums a tax. In that case you might have an indirect causality.

I've always been open to the Province of Toronto idea, or something similar. Basically eliminated the third-layer (municipalities) of government and only have a provincial government with both responsibility of municipalities and provincial, but in a smaller manageable region like the GTHA?

Everyone:

Now that 18 years have passed since amalgamation of the six borough Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto into the unified current City of Toronto I will ask:

Can there be a referendum to bring back a four borough Metro government?

I have always found that Torontonians consider and refer to the "outer boroughs"
as the "suburbs" as being separate entities
instead of being part of the City as annexed
similar to the City of New York...

To me the "suburbs" are outside the boundaries of the City of Toronto with the exception of Mississauga which is a City in
its own right.

I think that most are right about RF either becoming Etobicoke Mayor or Councillor
but going no further to a office like Metro Chairman (I believe that is what the title was)
as head of Metro Toronto government.

If a clear majority of Torontonians support a revised Metro type four borough government
it should be done sooner then later.

Could this be a change for the better?

LI Mike

Here's Metropolitan Toronto as it was by 1954.
4_1959_metro_planning_area.jpg

Compare the representation the people in the towns and villages got compared with the current and proposed wards. There was better representation back then.
ward-options-0.gif

Back