News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm not sure if all those flights at non-stop. The TAM flight to Sao Paulo makes a stop at JFK.

Yes but they don't have fifth freedom so we call it direct but not non stop. There is a non stop on AC though.

The list of direct flights from YYZ is way more than what's listed here. All the domestic and international flights to US are missing as are some international flights like Warsaw, Kiev, Helsinki, Moscow to name just a few.

This is intercontinental only so excluding north and Central America and the Caribbean.

There are no direct flights to Kiev since Aerosvit disappeared. Moscow had two direct services, Aeroflot and Transaero. One was told to pull out and the other went bankrupt. Warsaw is listed twice under AC rouge and LOT. Finnair terminated their seasonal Toronto service.

Interesting I didn't realize the Eastern European airlines dropped their flights to YYZ.

I thought Helsinki still flew to Toronto direct in the summer but maybe they lost business with Iceland Air and Wow taking a big chunk of heir traffic.

Interesting I didn't realize the Eastern European airlines dropped their flights to YYZ.

I thought Helsinki still flew to Toronto direct in the summer but maybe they lost business with Iceland Air and Wow taking a big chunk of heir traffic.
They all dropped them during the financial crisis. Many didn't survive...

I wonder what the scope is... To be really effective it would have to be near the terminals, but realigning the Kitchener line certainly isn't being contemplated.
Update of my earlier post - maybe the UP spur just becomes a shuttle between an HSR/GO RER / GO City (SmartTrack), and you create a new Pearson Central. Everything from there into the city becomes GO City, with RER trains only stopping at Eglinton and Bloor. Terminal 2 becomes the LRT/bus terminal, and Pearson Central the GO terminal.
Pearson Central.png

Attachments

• Pearson Central.png
    Pearson Central.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 576
In a perfect world, you could take 4 tracks from Georgetown and tunnel it via 401/Dixon/T2 at Pearson and back up Airport Rd to meet the mainline again.

I'm thinking this through a European lens, so pardon the megalomania.

Any intermodal terminal at Pearson needs to do a few things:

1: Create an easy connection point for multiple modes of transit and multiple transit agencies.
2: Be close enough to the airport terminals or have the airport people mover stop there.
3: Be close enough to the offices in the area to encourage workers walking to their offices (see Union station) I'd say offices in a 1.5 km radius should be considered 'walk to-able'. This is also dependent on the built form of the area which right now is very car centric
4: Do #3 well enough to encourage some redevelopment and densification in the area surrounding the terminal

Re: #4 I had a Airport Business District plan made up in Google maps a while back. Basically it would create a "mini downtown" around the airport with multiple transit options and a finer grained road network. Maybe I should dust it off and update it.

Personally, I think it would be a waste to run a plethora of different RT lines into Pearson. Malton GO and Renforth Gateway are pretty well positioned to become transit hubs on their own.

Malton GO:
  • RER
  • HSR
  • Finch West LRT
  • Some kind of Derry Rd Pre-BRT service
Renforth Gateway:
  • Eglinton LRT
  • Mississauga Transitway
All that's needed is a medium capacity route to connect the two. I still maintain that replacing the People Mover with an ICTS line would be the best bet. It wouldn't need to have SRT-like capacity, more like the capacity of the Detroit system (only bi-directional).

This also simplifies things for arriving passengers, since all transit is directed towards a single station at either T3 or T1. With this setup, once the passengers have arrived at the Link station, there can be someone stationed there to help direct them to the service that they want, available at either Malton or Renforth.

It's highly unlikely that everything could be coordinated so that all the different services were in a similar spot. "Down the escalators and to the left for Eglinton LRT, up the escalators and to the right for the Finch West LRT" isn't exactly a good first impression for travellers. Also, this setup keeps the "premium" nature of UPX, since it would be the only direct-to-T1 transit service.

The cost savings become even more amplified once HSR is brought into the picture, since it would remove the need to build a massive tunnel project in order to reach Pearson.

That's nice and all, but a true multimodal hub (Frankfurt, Amsterdam, CDG, Shanghai, etc) is on airport property.

I would never take an intermediate train to another station where I'd have to switch trains. This is why the JFK Air Train sucks, its ridership sucks, and NYC is debating how to tunnel it into Lower Manhattan.

In this case though, the GTAA is trying to use the Airport Corporate Centre (inconveniently located far from the terminals) as part of the value prop. You can't really serve both areas well, as there can only be one hub, and ideally located near the terminals. That is unless you start tunneling a whole wack of lines underneath the runways - which IMO from a future-proof perspective, would be the best move.

^fair enough.....but that means (if i understand it correctly) if you arrived at T3 you would not use UP? How long a walk (and therefore how close to existing terminals) does that "true multimodal hub" have to be? Is there land that close (to both terminals, I guess) to build such a hub?

Malton.png
Personally, I think it would be a waste to run a plethora of different RT lines into Pearson. Malton GO and Renforth Gateway are pretty well positioned to become transit hubs on their own.

Malton GO:
  • RER
  • HSR
  • Finch West LRT
  • Some kind of Derry Rd Pre-BRT service
Renforth Gateway:
  • Eglinton LRT
  • Mississauga Transitway
All that's needed is a medium capacity route to connect the two. I still maintain that replacing the People Mover with an ICTS line would be the best bet. It wouldn't need to have SRT-like capacity, more like the capacity of the Detroit system (only bi-directional).

This also simplifies things for arriving passengers, since all transit is directed towards a single station at either T3 or T1. With this setup, once the passengers have arrived at the Link station, there can be someone stationed there to help direct them to the service that they want, available at either Malton or Renforth.

It's highly unlikely that everything could be coordinated so that all the different services were in a similar spot. "Down the escalators and to the left for Eglinton LRT, up the escalators and to the right for the Finch West LRT" isn't exactly a good first impression for travellers. Also, this setup keeps the "premium" nature of UPX, since it would be the only direct-to-T1 transit service.

The cost savings become even more amplified once HSR is brought into the picture, since it would remove the need to build a massive tunnel project in order to reach Pearson.
So more like this:
View attachment 68575

Attachments

• Malton.png
    Malton.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 451
^well, that one does go past the front door to Woodbine as opposed to working its way around the highway side to the non-public rear of it ;)

Back