I'm obviously not going to waste my time looking for all your posts which I have already read and then quote each of them. UP doesn't work for you? Then that's just fine.
And I can state my opinion as much as I want. Feel free to ignore me instead of taking my posts out of context.

They are running a specialized service, let's not hide that reality - the pricing should be designed to maximize utility to that group of potential riders, not Joe Blow. If some of said group wanted to use that service, by all means, but the service should not be mediocre.

AoD[/QUOTE]
Why shouldn't they gear the service to Joe Blow? It's Joe Blow Ontarian that paid for the damn thing not the tourists.

Why shouldn't they gear the service to Joe Blow? It's Joe Blow Ontarian that paid for the damn thing not the tourists.

Joe Blow pays for a lot of things that Joe Blow will never get to use in this country. I also pay for a lot of services for Joe Blow that I have no need for. It's nice to think that one only pays for things that are useful to oneself, but that has absolutely no correlation to how spending is allocated in reality.

Last edited:

Sure, and the majority of us don't use the transit system in Ottawa, nor the Trans Canada by Nipigon, or that proposed LRT in London, and yet we paid/will pay for it. The litmus test isn't whether some average Joe will get to use a particular service or not, but whether it is useful.

AoD

Sure, and the majority of us don't use the transit system in Ottawa, nor the Trans Canada by Nipigon, or that proposed LRT in London, and yet we paid/will pay for it. The litmus test isn't whether some average Joe will get to use a particular service or not, but whether it is useful.

AoD
I don't think it is enough to question whether the service is useful. I think there should be a question as to whether it is the best use of both infrastructure dollars and the limited right of way. If the service was busy at the high fares then it could at least be argued that the service was useful, but given competing transit priorities and overcrowding on the subway I do not think it is the best use (and I use it). However, it was barely used at the high fares, so the idea that we should continue to differentiate this as a high-end service seems unsupportable.

I always said that they should have turned this into an electrified DRL with at minimum another station at Liberty Village and a proper connection to the subway. We may still get that in time but given subway overcrowding that's a far better use of the infrastructure.

I asked the same! And we were told that the disabled train was blocking all UP trains on the line and no switch was possible until our train got moving.

I'm starting to smell a little BS here... Exactly what day and time did this happen?

There's 3 tracks at Weston station with the Nickle controlled location/interlocking just south of the station as Paul mentioned. The standard protocol is to route the next UP train around the stalled/delayed UP train on the adjacent track without delay even if it means stopping & delaying GO or VIA trains. Outside of counter peak rush hour movements, considering the location, there would not have been any reason why this wouldn't have happened in this instance.

I don't think it is enough to question whether the service is useful. I think there should be a question as to whether it is the best use of both infrastructure dollars and the limited right of way. If the service was busy at the high fares then it could at least be argued that the service was useful, but given competing transit priorities and overcrowding on the subway I do not think it is the best use (and I use it). However, it was barely used at the high fares, so the idea that we should continue to differentiate this as a high-end service seems unsupportable.

I always said that they should have turned this into an electrified DRL with at minimum another station at Liberty Village and a proper connection to the subway. We may still get that in time but given subway overcrowding that's a far better use of the infrastructure.

Sure, and they should build gondolas straight from my door to my office, and yet they don't. Irritates me to NO END.

The whole 'this should be for commuters' thing is beyond bizarre. The beyond-political Weston stop was the start of all this, IMHO. Sure, maybe they shouldn't have built an express service from Union to Pearson. But, now that it's built, could we just acknowledge that it's not a commuter line? That it's for people going to the airport to get on a plane, or getting off a plane and going downtown?

I'm going to be seriously amused when they cut the prices and then do a survey, and find they still aren't getting the GO/TTC commuter crowd, because it doesn't go from a place they'd commute from to a place they'd commute to. That's not a design flaw -- that's how they built it, for good or ill.

Sure, and they should build gondolas straight from my door to my office, and yet they don't. Irritates me to NO END.

The whole 'this should be for commuters' thing is beyond bizarre. The beyond-political Weston stop was the start of all this, IMHO. Sure, maybe they shouldn't have built an express service from Union to Pearson. But, now that it's built, could we just acknowledge that it's not a commuter line? That it's for people going to the airport to get on a plane, or getting off a plane and going downtown?

I'm going to be seriously amused when they cut the prices and then do a survey, and find they still aren't getting the GO/TTC commuter crowd, because it doesn't go from a place they'd commute from to a place they'd commute to. That's not a design flaw -- that's how they built it, for good or ill.

Ha if you think my comment comes from self interest you've got it wrong. With UPX they basically have built a gondola from my house to my office. Except faster. Now for only $4.71. I couldn't be happier but that doesn't make it good public policy.

I'm well aware that they've built an express line to the airport. At the original fares, sometimes there were even a couple people on the train. Later in the evening I would often have my own personal train but for the ticket takers. We aren't supposed to question this?

Well if the price was changed again so someone can hop on at weston with a TTC transfer and not have to pay again then we would see if there would be a commuter crowd

Well if the price was changed again so someone can hop on at weston with a TTC transfer and not have to pay again then we would see if there would be a commuter crowd

...or at least a discount fare for the UPX/GO, when you have a TTC transfer (or used a PRESTO on the TTC).

I'm starting to smell a little BS here... Exactly what day and time did this happen?

There's 3 tracks at Weston station with the Nickle controlled location/interlocking just south of the station as Paul mentioned. The standard protocol is to route the next UP train around the stalled/delayed UP train on the adjacent track without delay even if it means stopping & delaying GO or VIA trains. Outside of counter peak rush hour movements, considering the location, there would not have been any reason why this wouldn't have happened in this instance.
and I don't recall any service notices on twitter from UP letting people know that the service was interrupted in this fashion.

Back