News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vitriol displayed in this thread is utterly disgusting and makes Trump's despicable conduct seem mild by comparison. A man has fallen victim to a horrible disease at a very young age. A father, a husband, a brother and yes, a troubled and very controversial former mayor of the biggest city in Canada. Your criticisms have been noted, I assure you. The moderators should really shut this thread down. Is that what this forum is about? Spewing hatred and animosity at fallen leaders?

If you are that fixated on the past, I suggest you look deep within yourself at the source of your anger and frustrations- I can assure you it doesn't actually emanate from a deeply troubled person who tragically no longer walks the earth.

The vitriol displayed in this thread is utterly disgusting and makes Trump's despicable conduct seem mild by comparison. A man has fallen victim to a horrible disease at a very young age. A father, a husband, a brother and yes, a troubled and very controversial former mayor of the biggest city in Canada. Your criticisms have been noted, I assure you. The moderators should really shut this thread down. Is that what this forum is about? Spewing hatred and animosity at fallen leaders?

If you are that fixated on the past, I suggest you look deep within yourself at the source of your anger and frustrations- I can assure you it doesn't actually emanate from a deeply troubled person who tragically no longer walks the earth.

Most critiques of Ford on this site revolve around his own words and deeds. They are his legacy, and should not be whitewashed because of notions of politeness. Ford had no qualms about dividing the people of this city for his own benefit. Demanding that his critics censor themselves while his supporters construct an entirely false narrative about his life and accomplishments is not in the cards. It's an insult to hear some call him the people's mayor, as if governing with contempt for the vulnerable or those with divergent political opinions was anything but despicable. I'm going to continue to say this because we know someone (probably Doug) is going to try to pick up the Ford mantle and try to resurrect its corrosive brand of politics. Toronto will be a better place if the politics of Ford Nation go to the grave with Rob Ford.

It starts...

Immortalize former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford with a statue: Letter to Mayor John Tory, Toronto City Council, Premier Kathleen Wynne and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-john...ve-a-statue-made-in-his-honor#petition-letter

2 of the 3 comments:

I'm signing this petition to have a statue built of former mayor rob ford because I believe he has done a great deal for this city and its residents coming to the roughest areas and making sure tenants are living OK he was a kind man may his soul rest in peace Toronto will never forget him
Dylan Cadieux, Barrie, Canada

I truly felt his leadership in our wonderful city
Allen Marchildon, Markham, Canada

And this is from the facebook of the guy who started the petition. Apparently he's a Trump fan.

Calling for a temporary ban on a certain group based on race/religion or beliefs is not the first time this has happened in North America.
Look what they did to the Jap's in WW2.
You guys base your views on Trump by looking at the most minute subjects, Most are hypocritical and the seed of inception planted by Mainstream media continues to grow.
You cannot deny that Trump tends to say what most people think and most people agree with. He has nothing to prove to anyone so he doesn't hold back, like other polititions do. Now adays politicians are more worried about being "politically" correct and will feed you a bunch of bullshit for your vote.
Mainstream media has definitely got the upperhand on the "Sheeple" of North America.
Change is what this word needs.Sorry to say but, Clinton? Jeb Bush? Cruz? Rubio? Give me a F*ucking break.
Trump didn't become so successful by being a fucking idiot, the guy is a genius and mark my works, this time next year we will be awaiting the inauguration of President Donald J Trump.

Last edited:
Most critiques of Ford on this site revolve around his own words and deeds. They are his legacy, and should not be whitewashed because of notions of politeness. Ford had no qualms about dividing the people of this city for his own benefit. Demanding that his critics censor themselves while his supporters construct an entirely false narrative about his life and accomplishments is not in the cards. It's an insult to hear some call him the people's mayor, as if governing with contempt for the vulnerable or those with divergent political opinions was anything but despicable. I'm going to continue to say this because we know someone (probably Doug) is going to try to pick up the Ford mantle and try to resurrect its corrosive brand of politics. Toronto will be a better place if the politics of Ford Nation go to the grave with Rob Ford.

Furthermore the comments have also been in regards to the media's hypocrisy and treatment of the story and the disgusting manner in the which the family is exploiting this to satisfy their inflated sense of importance.

All you "hateful people" on this thread, don't ignore the draw of spectacle for the masses. I am sure forces are at work to make sure attendance exceeds the Fester crowds. And so many opportunities to participate!

All you "hateful people" on this thread, don't ignore the draw of spectacle for the masses. I am sure forces are at work to make sure attendance exceeds the Fester crowds. And so many opportunities to participate!

"Fester" is certainly the word that springs to my mind.

I'm working on my ten-second celebration-of-life video as we speak.

Rex Murphy gave a vomitous eulogy on The National tonight. Apparently Ford was a "decent man" whos flaws didn't merit the scorn of his detractors...

Someone who's fortunately long stayed away from Newfoundland.

A "fallen leader", is he? Many other people get "horrible" diseases at a young age and even die. Recently I was involved in the care of a 30-something guy who - amongst other things - just welcomed a new baby. He came in with a generalized seizure and was found to have multiple malignant brain tumours. He'll be dead within 1-2 years and is not exactly going to face an easy road even in that time.

That's a pretty awful thing - for him and his family. He might never have been a "leader" let alone mayor of a city. He was not and is not famous and he wanted privacy. But I'd say that he'd be far more deserving of the public mourning of a 24 hour news cycle than Rob Ford ever was. I will not, however, be bullied into mourning a malignant alcohol/drug-abusing well-off asshole who fell ass backward into family money and used it to sow political division and drunkenly berate strangers at the ACC. And use his publicly-funded office staff to buy him booze. Or use city offices for benders and god-knows-what-else.

He's dead. Everyone dies. Some earlier than others. We all like a good "repentance"/"redemption" story but we're not going to find one here. I doubt anyone here is happy that Rob Ford is dead or takes any pleasure in premature death from cancer. But there's a big difference between basic human empathy - which I'm sure we all share - and disgust at the media/Ford family whitewashing of a self-destructive, troubled life.

2 of the 3 comments:

I'm signing this petition to have a statue built of former mayor rob ford because I believe he has done a great deal for this city and its residents coming to the roughest areas and making sure tenants are living OK he was a kind man may his soul rest in peace Toronto will never forget him
Dylan Cadieux, Barrie, Canada

I truly felt his leadership in our wonderful city
Allen Marchildon, Markham, Canada

I have a Facebook friend who lives well away from Toronto but who has been lauding Ford since his death and how he loved the city he used to live in. Yeah? Your tune would likely be different if you still lived in Toronto, just as Dylan & Allen have no idea because they don't live here.

Whenever anyone tells me that Ford did wonderful things for Toronto, I ask for a single example. Just one. A few people can come up with the VRT (which is debatable as being a wonderful thing beyond "hey, I have $60 in my pocket" ) but that's it. They can't name one good thing he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back