News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What's your favourite high-rise or skyscraper in Calgary?

• The Bow

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Brookfield Place

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Bankers Hall

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Suncor

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Eighth Avenue Place

• Devon Tower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nexen tower

• 707 5th street

• First Canadian Centre

• Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Cowtown

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's your favourite high-rise tower and why. I added a few of the popular towers. I added Brookfield Place and 707-5th even though they aren't finished yet.

I'm kind of partial to Brookfield Place, now that I can see how it's going to turn out. If 707-5th was taller it would be my choice. Maybe in a couple of years it'll be Telus Sky.

It was a really tough call. I ended up going with the Bow, but it's really only a place holder. I have every confidence that I will prefer Telus Sky to the Bow if the project is fully completed as proposed. Some of the others appealed to me as well. Suncor will look unique among our tallest structures when the rest are finished. Most will be modern and glassy and it's red granite will come to stand out more and more. I've also always been a fan of the lobby with it's gardens and bush plane. I also like 8th avenue place quite a lot. It's lobby also blows the Bow's away. It's a little plain though, but maybe that's becuase I've become too accustomed to seeing it from the south. I remember liking it more when I lived in the west.

I can see why you'd go for Brookfield. It is looking quite elegant. Maybe I will come around when it's complete, but for now the Bow is still a great tower. It's just doesn't look great from a couple of northern angles. I doubt anything will look quite as interesting as the perspective you get from the Head.

Last edited:
I chose the Bow also, but it wasn't easy. BP is turning out better than I expected, and looks better in the skyline. The Bow on its own as a building though, is a step above. Especially the over-all unique shape, and the skygardens, the diagrid, etc...

I'm anticipating Telus Sky will be the top dog once it's finished. Honorable mention to 707 - 5th it's really looking good, and if was 20 stories taller, it might have been my first choice.

Haven't seen the new ones in person but Suncor has always been my favourite Calgary Tower.

Great choice, and certainly not the mainstreem opinion these days. Suncor was built in 1984 and reigned as the tallest tower in Calgary and thereby Western Canada for almost 30 years. For most of that time it was an icon of the city, but over say the last decade of it's reign at the top there was so much of the public imagination pent up in seeing it surpassed as tallest that I think it has became under apreciated. Imagine there must be similar emotions towards First Canadian Place in Toronto. As time goes on I think Suncor will be reappraised more favourably.

One tends to forget about Suncor. I can see where Ed is coming from, Toronto has had a host of new towers, but I still like the old school towers like TD Bank towers and Commerce Court. Same for Scotia Plaza.

Brookfield Place. While not as architecturally savvy as the Bow, the massing is spot on. The rounded corners give it a sleek elegant look IMO.

THE BOW
She's a looker!!!

I probably should have voted for the Bow, went with Brookfield. I like the massing much better. Once Telus Sky is done I'm sure it will be the easy winner.

THE BOW

Back