Today on my cell - sorry for the quality!

IMG_5386.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5386.JPG
    IMG_5386.JPG
    981.2 KB · Views: 1,256
Last edited by a moderator:

G.L. 17: Love that second shot of the ornate details of the restoration against the modern glass facade! Thanks for sharing! Would be great to see more projects like this in Toronto.

There's this really cool building on the E side of Yonge immediately across from the new Deloitte building which has these "blockish" stone-like window frames. I'd like to think a redevelopment project using the same restoration approach would work there too.

I would rather not see the Lumsden Building redeveloped and turned into yet another facade like so many of our other heritage buildings. Is it not reasonable to have the remaining structures refurbished and left intact?

I like the quality of the restoration of Concourse Building's facade, looks great, but wish there was a set-back on the east side between the heritage and the glass facades instead of them being evenly situated.

I would rather not see the Lumsden Building redeveloped and turned into yet another facade like so many of our other heritage buildings. Is it not reasonable to have the remaining structures refurbished and left intact?

I like the quality of the restoration of Concourse Building's facade, looks great, but wish there was a set-back on the east side between the heritage and the glass facades instead of them being evenly situated.

Thanks ToroTO, I didn't know that building was called the Lumsden Building. I just realized that it used to have a really nice "cap" (I'm sure there's an appropriate architectural term for it; http://www.buildingstories.co/getDo...ritagesup&F=559623426_506357f21826e3.10729610)

Given Toronto's status as an increasingly important world city, I'd surmise demands for more office space would incentivize developers to redevelop Lumsden within the next 10-20 years, especially since it is literally next door to a PATH-enabled development.

Perhaps a cantilevered skyscraper atop Lumdsen, similar to the treatment of Entertainment One's HQ (I believe Peter + Adelaide) would work? Of course, it all depends on the economics of the matter. The engineering is probably a cinch given the sheer depth of such experiences in Toronto.

Thanks ToroTO, I didn't know that building was called the Lumsden Building. I just realized that it used to have a really nice "cap" (I'm sure there's an appropriate architectural term for it; http://www.buildingstories.co/getDo...ritagesup&F=559623426_506357f21826e3.10729610)
The "cap" is called: a cornice.

And I'm not so sure the driveway is the best spot for the thunderbirds. They would be better off in a more pedestrian place, where they can be better appreciated and observed.

Last edited:
A view of the steel framing going up to hide the mechanical. In the second one you can vaguely see the shape of the roof line on the north side of the building. It will be very interesting to see it completed.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,619
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,623

Back