News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a precedent - Jeremy Bentham, the English philosopher and educator, died in 1832 leaving instructions for his body to be dissected, and then permanently preserved as an "auto-icon" (or self-image), which would be his memorial. The auto-icon continues to be on public display at University College London, propped up in a box and appropriately clothed - a key part of the welcome tour for new students and visitors. Every few years it is "restored" to stop the whole thing falling apart.

View attachment 74738

We should count our blessings the Ford family was probably blissfully unaware of the endless possibilities of postmortem preservation.

All this "Rob would have wanted" crap is going to go on for a loooong time. I just hope that only one strong opponent runs against whichever Ford in ward 2. Last time Domise and Abukar came in second and third but if only one runs, there is a better chance for an upset.

The worst

The coverage Maclean’s gave to Rob Ford (“The meaning of Rob Ford,” National, April 11) literally made me take two Gravols. Ford’s wife was photographed bruised. Ford was a drunk who drove drunk. Ford was a raging misogynist and racist homophobe who thought himself funny. Ford is today referred to as “profoundly human.” I’d say he was an embarrassment who personified the worst of humanity.

Mendelson Joe, Emsdale, Ont.

A lot of people in the media, and in general, seem to have a huge blind spot about the fact that yes, Ford was very popular, mostly along voters who thought he was doing something for them when in fact he did very little and treated them with contempt or indifference, but he was also a hugely dishonest person! How many different things did he lie about?

All this "Rob would have wanted" crap is going to go on for a loooong time. I just hope that only one strong opponent runs against whichever Ford in ward 2. Last time Domise and Abukar came in second and third but if only one runs, there is a better chance for an upset.

Actually, they came third and fourth. Remember Luke LaRocque from the election night posting "Who's Luke Larocque?!"

Michael's going to run and he's almost certainly going to win. Which is ridiculous, but no more so than what's happened in Ward 2 over the last 16 years...
Frankly, Michael sounds reasonably sensible based on interviews I have seen with him since he became a Trustee. If the voters of Ward 2 elected and re-elected Rob after years of his nonsense and then unthinkingly elected Doug I have little doubt that Mike will be next. What is more worrying is that he will feel he must live up to Uncle Rob and Uncle Doug and try to emulate their stupidity.

I linked an interview from shortly after Rob died that make Mikey sound like an embarrassing Ford robot, calling up CP24 for the exclusive, and pulling the political stunt of showing up for a TDSB meeting the day after his uncle had died, because that's What Rob Would've Wanted.

He's barely into his 20s and has apparently put college on hold.

Would it really destroy democracy in this country to require a certain level of education and experience before you can run for office?!?

Well look who's here.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 478
I wonder if Dougie (ex-politician who announced a Ford with run in Ward 2) knows by turning up that the little showing at City Hall is now a political interest group camping for Dougie to be mayor.

Frankly, Michael sounds reasonably sensible based on interviews I have seen with him since he became a Trustee. If the voters of Ward 2 elected and re-elected Rob after years of his nonsense and then unthinkingly elected Doug I have little doubt that Mike will be next. What is more worrying is that he will feel he must live up to Uncle Rob and Uncle Doug and try to emulate their stupidity.

Maybe the family are thinking voters are ready for a newer model of Ford, so Mikey should run. And then his uncle can try and fail to get into provincial or federal politics. This is what it sounds like when Dougs cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back