I like the quirkiness of that building right on the corner... lose that and you lose a lot of character. we need to stop making everything so sterile.

Too bad they bastardized what the building used to look like.

1974.jpg

Attachments

• 1974.jpg
    1974.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 2,633
What a great historical photo.

You think we have a building boom now. First Canadian Place, Royal Bank Plaza and CN Tower all going up at the same time.

Sorry for the crappy quality but the tower windows are in. You can just barely see them above the precast in the picture below. Looks average.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 1,163
Last edited:
what defines a landmark?

From Wiki

A landmark is a recognizable natural or artificial feature used for navigation, a feature that stands out from its near environment and is often visible from long distances.

In modern use, the term can also be applied to smaller structures or features, that have become local or national symbols.

I don't think it makes the cut.

Dissagree it's soon to be a part of the eastern skyline. Skylines are landmarks in them selves.... They are where the cities core is located

the level of design doesnt make the cut as far as the symbolic meaning of a landmark (building). The CN Tower or the ROM Crystal are landmark buildings. if you want to call it that merely based on the geographic meaning, then every fire hydrant would be in the same category. having said that I think the building is turning out very nicely. it looks quite attractive in the image at the top of this page.

Here's a test. Compare the following:

"If you want to know where you are in the city, look at the CN Tower" = landmark.

"If you want to be at 'the heart of it all', make sure you drop by Yonge and Dundas" = landmark.

"If you want to know whether you're in St. Lawrence Market, look for 88 Scott" = landmark? I'm not sure. I think the Flatiron does this job.

If you're outside of the area, and want to locate the St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood, 88 Scott might be how you pinpoint it. I know I currently use the L Tower and the Distillery towers to find the SLM Neighbourhood on the skyline.

I think there's a difference between landmark status and wayfinding.

From an international perspective, the lone landmark we have is the CN Tower, and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

At least the spandrel panel is the same colour as the precast... I think.

Actually on second viewing, I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing.

Back