News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I was going to say that Twitter isn't the most representative because of its relatively small uptake, but then I checked and was surprised to find out that ~20% of people use twitter:

twtr11-e1452251162839.png

But I would expect that older crotchety suburban drivers are less likely to use twitter than single urban 20-somethings who live downtown and take the streetcar, and the people who tweet about the King street pilot are more likely to be transit users currently sitting in said streetcar instead of drivers trying to navigate the new maze of turn restrictions.

So, still not necessarily representative of general sentiment, just of the twitterverse's demographic bubble.

Twitter is pretty niche in Toronto. The US is largely responsible for that 21% — if anything, Canada is dragging the number down. All of my US friends or clients are on Twitter and TV channels in the US almost always list someone's Twitter handle.

That said, Twitter has been a great place for #KingStreetPilot discussion and I've been told that city officials have been monitoring it closely and taking notes for improvements.

Here's my idea for many intersections on King:

View attachment 127739

-- For pedestrians, it would illuminate separately (Walk will only illuminate during the red+transit phase), giving pedestrians their protected phase.

-- For bikes, use the same bike-logo signals used in Hamilton, Ontario (on Cannon St and Bay St protected cycle tracks) that illuminates at same time as walk signal. A very curious aberration; in Hamilton getting the first cycle-logo lights in Ontario that I know of:

View attachment 127759
(Hamilton, Ontario)

In Toronto's case, the walk signal and the bike signal (located nearer the walk lights for Toronto's case) would illuminate at the same time as the red+transit phase in the rightmost of the image above.

See the highlighted section of your tweet:

G9R137b.png

Was this meant to imply that the City is planning to install transit priority stoplights in February 2018?

Here's my idea for many intersections on King:

upload_2017-11-19_22-21-26-png.127739

I like this. I wonder if it is legally possible to use red-light cameras to enforce the cars turn right only/streetcars proceed straight phase, to ensure no cars are proceeding straight through the intersection. Cars aren't given a red signal here (hence why red-light cams might not be permissible), but they also aren't given permission to continue straight through the intersection.

This is why in my original proposal, I suggested having the red light on during the cars turn right only/streetcars proceed straight phase, but as was discussed a few pages back, that might introduce legal complications for bikes going straight through the intersection.

Bathurst Street and King Street West Intersection - Westbound Traffic

A concern with respect to the handling of westbound traffic at the Bathurst and King intersection. All westbound traffic (other than TTC, and the usual exception for taxis 10 PM to 5 AM) is signed to turn right onto northbound Bathurst. This makes sense from the perspective of allowing a greater opportunity for east bound vehicles at Bathurst to make the left turn to go north on Bathurst, avoiding entering King Street at that point.

The concern is that, to my knowledge, there is no appropriate way for anyone to continue westbound from the intersection of King and Bathurst. Adelaide Street is one way east, and Richmond Street has no westbound vehicles (bicycle lane only). The Bathurst and Queen Street intersection has major left turn restrictions. For vehicles leaving the parking garages on the block between Bathurst and Portland, to go westbound, the only options I am aware of would be to go north on Bathurst to one of the side streets north of Queen, turn left, and then double back down to either Queen or King Streets westbound, or to turn right on Adelaide Street to Portland, and then take Portland north to Queen Street westbound, or Portland south to either Wellington or Front Streets westbound.

The Wellington and Front street options are also problematic, as Front Street ends at Bathurst. While Wellington West continues past Bathurst, Wellington at Bathurst is frequently backed up. The intersection of Wellington and Bathurst does not have a traffic light at the corner, requiring crossing the four lanes of Bathurst with no traffic control, no right of way for the vehicles trying to continue over to Wellington West. Turning right to continuing up Bathurst from Wellington to head west is also problematic at times, as there are turn restrictions going left from Bathurst onto King (no left turns Monday to Friday, 7 AM to 10 PM and 3 PM to 7 PM), and north of King Street, one is back to the problems outlined above.

Not sure if this has been raised before, or whether there is an intended routing for traffic which wants to continue westwards from King Street at Bathurst?

Twitter is pretty niche in Toronto. The US is largely responsible for that 21% — if anything, Canada is dragging the number down.
I've seen higher estimates of that for Toronto. Here's a recent Canada-wide estimate of 27%. Given Stats Canada reports 11% of Canadians don't access the Internet at all, then it would be higher for those who do, and higher in Toronto than rural areas.

Mind you half of my household doesn't use Facebook or Twitter. They are pretty big on TVO Kids though ...

Front Street Eastbound at Spadina

Front Street eastbound has been picking up a fair bit more traffic since the King Street restrictions went in last weekend. This morning, a film crew is in the area, with their the trucks parked on the south side of Front Street, from (at least) Portland to within approximately 15 metres of Spadina. The curb lane being blocked this close to Spadina has resulted in the Front Street eastbound traffic being restricted to one lane, effectively right up to the intersection with Spadina. Major backups on Front Street should probably be anticipated throughout the day as a result.

On a going forward basis, location permits should probably restrict film truck parking on the south side of Front Street to no closer than 50 - 60 meters or so away from the intersection with Spadina, to allow a second lane of cars to get over (or onto) Spadina when the eastbound light is green.

Bathurst Street and King Street West Intersection - Westbound Traffic

A concern with respect to the handling of westbound traffic at the Bathurst and King intersection. All westbound traffic (other than TTC, and the usual exception for taxis 10 PM to 5 AM) is signed to turn right onto northbound Bathurst. This makes sense from the perspective of allowing a greater opportunity for east bound vehicles at Bathurst to make the left turn to go north on Bathurst, avoiding entering King Street at that point.

The concern is that, to my knowledge, there is no appropriate way for anyone to continue westbound from the intersection of King and Bathurst. Adelaide Street is one way east, and Richmond Street has no westbound vehicles (bicycle lane only). The Bathurst and Queen Street intersection has major left turn restrictions. For vehicles leaving the parking garages on the block between Bathurst and Portland, to go westbound, the only options I am aware of would be to go north on Bathurst to one of the side streets north of Queen, turn left, and then double back down to either Queen or King Streets westbound, or to turn right on Adelaide Street to Portland, and then take Portland north to Queen Street westbound, or Portland south to either Wellington or Front Streets westbound.

The Wellington and Front street options are also problematic, as Front Street ends at Bathurst. While Wellington West continues past Bathurst, Wellington at Bathurst is frequently backed up. The intersection of Wellington and Bathurst does not have a traffic light at the corner, requiring crossing the four lanes of Bathurst with no traffic control, no right of way for the vehicles trying to continue over to Wellington West. Turning right to continuing up Bathurst from Wellington to head west is also problematic at times, as there are turn restrictions going left from Bathurst onto King (no left turns Monday to Friday, 7 AM to 10 PM and 3 PM to 7 PM), and north of King Street, one is back to the problems outlined above.

Not sure if this has been raised before, or whether there is an intended routing for traffic which wants to continue westwards from King Street at Bathurst?

I thought about this for a while. The only option i can see is:

Turn eastbound instead of westbound at king. Then right at portland. Then right on either front or wellington. Then right at bathurst. Then left on king. (Or one of the smaller westbound streets before king?). I agree thats pretty terrible haha.

A snow plow pushing cars out of the way is a good incentive to avoid driving in rush hour....

Yes, incentive was sarcastic.

Now where is that sarcastic key on my keyboard......
This actually goes beyond sarcasm. Harbord (and I'm sure other places) has notices up on at least some 'bike corals' that they are to be removed shortly for the winter to allow plowing. So what is to happen on King with the planters? Do they stay for the Winter?

I wonder if it is legally possible to use red-light cameras to enforce the cars turn right only/streetcars proceed straight phase, to ensure no cars are proceeding straight through the intersection. Cars aren't given a red signal here (hence why red-light cams might not be permissible), but they also aren't given permission to continue straight through the intersection.
The 'Red Light Camera' legislation is specific in it being only red lights. Again, I have to state that there is no restriction on that light being sequential, flashing, or solid, but a flashing red light is not usable for this instance, as it indicates 'stop, then proceed when clear'. *Exceptions are allowed and will be posted by signs*!

If, for some reason, cyclists need a separate lane to cross the intersection, that will be done with separate lane lights for cyclists. In the event, for many reasons, I think it best that cyclists dismount and walk across the intersection with pedestrians using the 'walk' phase of the right turn light sequence. Note reference to a separate 'right turn light'. The question is how delineated that lane needs to be, a curb is indicated as being minimal, but painted lanes appear to be acceptable. That separate turn lane is desirable and discussed prior for a number of reasons. The answers are extant, have been for some time, it's just that Planning don't seem to have a clue on this.

I wonder if it is legally possible to use red-light cameras to enforce the cars turn right only/streetcars proceed straight phase, to ensure no cars are proceeding straight through the intersection. Cars aren't given a red signal here (hence why red-light cams might not be permissible), but they also aren't given permission to continue straight through the intersection.
This is the nub of discussion from what I read of the legislation. The legislation speaks in terms of "lanes"....and my take is that the yellow painted strip areas at intersections denote 'lanes', and thus can and should have their own lights if there's a solid red blocking forward travel through the intersection.

This is why in my original proposal, I suggested having the red light on during the cars turn right only/streetcars proceed straight phase, but as was discussed a few pages back, that might introduce legal complications for bikes going straight through the intersection.
This is a nuanced and excellent point, but since the City has already stated (gist) "Bikes should proceed forward from the curb lane", they've already complicated their case since to do so from a lane that is turning right only is madness *especially intersections with track junctions*. In my view, as an avid and accomplished cyclist, cyclists are far better off, as is traffic altogether, if they dismount and cross with pedestrians. Otherwise a light sequence phase will be necessary for cyclists, and/or a 'box' situated in an almost impossible situation for safety on the tracks.

The City really hasn't thought this out at all. There are solutions available, excellent ones, and it will cost more money. So what? An extra $M to safely prove a concept which must succeed?

How freakin' cheap is this city? They have no compunctions of multi-billion $ dreams of one stop subways to Scarborough, Rail Deck Parks, and elevators to the Moon...

The most infuriating part about the Red Light Camera legislation is it gives the City a means to pay back the cost of those cameras and associated lights from the fines assessed. The Province has bent over backwards to write that legislation to incentivize Red Light Cameras.

This isn't rocket science, but it is Toronto...

Last edited:
Twitter is pretty niche in Toronto. The US is largely responsible for that 21% — if anything, Canada is dragging the number down. All of my US friends or clients are on Twitter and TV channels in the US almost always list someone's Twitter handle.

That said, Twitter has been a great place for #KingStreetPilot discussion and I've been told that city officials have been monitoring it closely and taking notes for improvements.

Twitter is mostly a circle-jerk between members of the media and news junkies.

Of course now its also a safe haven for racists and Nazis.

I wonder if these % of users stats accounts for all the bots.

Twitter is mostly a circle-jerk between members of the media and news junkies.

Of course now its also a safe haven for racists and Nazis.

I wonder if these % of users stats accounts for all the bots.
Block all that negative stuff, and also ignore the Trump stuff.

Surf some #Puppies for a change instead, not the tweets that USA news websites tell you to look at.

Twitter has also been used to positive measure, such as #YesWeCannon (the hashtagged campaign that successfully installed a protected cycle track in Hamilton, Ontario) in year 2015. Facebook, newspapers, etc also been abused for negative campaigns too, in ways similar to Twitter.

Don't subscribe to the bad newspapers
Throw away the negative junk mail
Block the bad leaflet campaigns
Block the bad Facebook threads
Block the bad Twitter topics/threads
Move along

Anyway, it is the main discussion venue that Toronto's website points to:

upload_2017-11-20_12-21-11.png

After clicking that hashtag on City of Toronto's own website -- on the Twitter page that shows up, click the "Latest" tab for what is mostly a beautifully positive realtime orthographical newsfeed on this project.

And these are 100 positive tweets about King Street Pilot, in these attachments:

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-20_12-21-11.png
    upload_2017-11-20_12-21-11.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 313
  • big1.jpg
    big1.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 185
  • big2.jpg
    big2.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 198
  • big3.jpg
    big3.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 196
  • big4.jpg
    big4.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Police now ticketing drivers who break King Street Pilot rules

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...rivers-who-break-king-street-pilot-rules.html

Now the real test begins. a) how many entitled “I don’t care, I will go forward” drivers does the city really have? And b) how seriously will the TPS treat enforcement on the pilot?

I biked a good stretch of it yesterday, and literally every single driver I pulled up to at a stoplight where they aren't permitted to proceed straight through did exactly that. Saw one cop along the entire stretch (though obviously that was the weekend).

This is both awesome and horrifying.

Awesome in that enforcement is actually happening! Hallelujah.

Horrifying in that we have SO MANY oblivious or ignorant or entitled drivers in this city. Makes me fear for my life and for the future of humanity with so many of these people behind the wheel.

Back