Sure, but it's a stated opinion rather than observable fact to say that this is on the periphery; it's not Yorkville, sure, but it's also not Markham.

The notion of what "top tenants" means is also fluid -- I don't think anyone's expecting Chanel to open up here, but that's not what this development needs to be successful.

You're taking my meaning of periphery a little too far. Let's just call it limited access within a dense, urban core with more attractive alternatives that wouldn't even exist in Markham. Rents will reflect that. More centralized and accessible retail development within walking distance of Via Bloor would probably counter act as competition than as a positive from clustering There's only so much demand for local retail.

I also gave my candidates on who will occupy these spaces. Dollarama, Timmies and, JVSK.

You're taking my meaning of periphery a little too far. Let's just call it limited access within a dense, urban core with more attractive alternatives that wouldn't even exist in Markham. Rents will reflect that. More centralized and accessible retail development within walking distance of Via Bloor would probably counter act as competition than as a positive from clustering There's only so much demand for local retail.

I also gave my candidates on who will occupy these spaces. Dollarama, Timmies and, JVSK.

"Limited access" is also nuts! It's a literal 4-minute walk to the Castle Frank subway and a 3-minute walk to the Sherbourne stop and bike lane. It's maybe a 10-minute walk to one of the busiest subway stations in a G7 country.

It has excellent access to multiple modes of transport; access to this site is something close to the polar opposite of "limited."

I must ask, have you actually *been* here? Recently?

The context of where this site fits into the GTA is nuts when 95% of this type of retail space is local service based. You're obsessing about the 5% with much larger catchments that tend to cluster with each other. Who is going to take transit here when they can take transit to The Danforth or Cabbagetown or Downtown and have more options in less walking distance. There's only a direct connection to built up areas on one side. The other sides involves circumnavigating the valleys/graveyard. That's an observable fact and I don't need to draw on my experience in commercial leasing either.

Last edited:
But you just did by mentioning it!

Anyway, at the risk of sounding obvious: the people moving into this area, thanks to the new development, will be the very ones patronizing the retail... it's not a destination shopping zone, it only need take care of the residences in the immediate surroundings.

I live at 77 Howard Street, on the 20th floor, north facing side, literally right across the street from this project, which will destroy my view and block our sun...up until a week ago, the land has been used as a staging area and parking lot for the construction workers for The Selby, but then along came three site office trailers, and a perimeter fence around the entire property. Today is the day I dreaded, the beginning of the end....they begun cutting down all the beautiful century old trees on the lot as the first step of site prep. Between that and the many new towers to the west of my view, built since we moved here in 2008, we’ll be in the dark most of the year, especially once they complete our first supertall, The One. I know it’s just part of life living in the city, but the population density is fast becoming far more then current infrastructure can accommodate. I’ll include a picture of the site across the street, and one of the left facing view from my 20th floor perch, to give you an idea of just how much, and how fast things are changing, and not for the better. Keep in mind, with the exception of a few, all of the top 10 tallest in the picture weren’t there 10 years ago. I’m thrilled to have so many tall building, but this, at least to me, is a great example of city planning gone horribly wrong. They’re building no extra grocery stores, malls, and other critical infrastructure to support the influx of over 20 000 new residents in only four square blocks. I can only hope they open more shops, because 2 No Frills and one Food Basics isn’t enough to feed so many people, and there are no new restaurants either, shame on city council for such irresponsible and thoughtless planning. And BTW, there are over a dozen other proposals just waiting to go up, it’s just too much in too small an area.
AA85371B-0546-40BD-9FC2-1F2027F27EB5.jpeg
49FB38AA-E7EE-462E-98E4-7CF1DB092414.jpeg
2C34EE7D-7F78-4EDB-B777-09FF5BA206BB.jpeg
1A254F7E-3916-4182-9EF4-A6A40C407ED0.jpeg
C62172DD-54A1-477D-B638-A8A949332CA9.jpeg

Attachments

• AA85371B-0546-40BD-9FC2-1F2027F27EB5.jpeg
    AA85371B-0546-40BD-9FC2-1F2027F27EB5.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 566
  • 49FB38AA-E7EE-462E-98E4-7CF1DB092414.jpeg
    49FB38AA-E7EE-462E-98E4-7CF1DB092414.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 549
  • 2C34EE7D-7F78-4EDB-B777-09FF5BA206BB.jpeg
    2C34EE7D-7F78-4EDB-B777-09FF5BA206BB.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 538
  • 1A254F7E-3916-4182-9EF4-A6A40C407ED0.jpeg
    1A254F7E-3916-4182-9EF4-A6A40C407ED0.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 565
  • C62172DD-54A1-477D-B638-A8A949332CA9.jpeg
    C62172DD-54A1-477D-B638-A8A949332CA9.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 541
Last edited by a moderator:
I live at 77 Howard Street, on the 20th floor, north facing side, literally right across the street from this project, which will destroy my view and block our sun...up until a week ago, the land has been used as a staging area and parking lot for the construction workers for The Selby, but then along came three site office trailers, and a perimeter fence around the entire property. Today is the day I dreaded, the beginning of the end....they begun cutting down all the beautiful century old trees on the lot as the first step of site prep. Between that and the many new towers to the west of my view, built since we moved here in 2008, we’ll be in the dark most of the year, especially once they complete our first supertall, The One. I know it’s just part of life living in the city, but the population density is fast becoming far more then current infrastructure can accommodate. I’ll include a picture of the site across the street, and one of the left facing view from my 20th floor perch, to give you an idea of just how much, and how fast things are changing, and not for the better. Keep in mind, with the exception of a few, all of the top 10 tallest in the picture weren’t there 10 years ago. I’m thrilled to have so many tall building, but this, at least to me, is a great example of city planning gone horribly wrong. They’re building no extra grocery stores, malls, and other critical infrastructure to support the influx of over 20 000 new residents in only four square blocks. I can only hope they open more shops, because 2 No Frills and one Food Basics isn’t enough to feed so many people, and there are no new restaurants either, shame on city council for such irresponsible and thoughtless planning. And BTW, there are over a dozen other proposals just waiting to go up, it’s just too much in too small an area.

It's a shame about the trees. And I understand that it is frustrating to lose your view. But the notion that you'll be in darkness for most of the year and that this is city planning gone horribly wrong is a bit over the top. This is a plot of land within two subway stops of the busiest intersection in the city.

If you want more neighbourhood amenities like grocery stores and shops, you have to build them. That's what this project is doing with ground floor retail, and what others in the area will do, too. For now, there are lots of great restaurants, coffee shops, you name it, all a 10 minute walk down Parliament. The subway is five minutes away. What other critical infrastructure is missing?

Last edited:
your window is also 40 metres from the property line of this building - these are going to be less overbearing on your view than you expect I think. They are relatively far from you. Plus, if you look at the architectural plans, your view directly north will remain unobstructed, the western end of the towers will be around where the pile of sawdust is in your photos.

I think there should be plenty of optimism with regards to the area and where it's headed. It had been forgotten for so long, it's now playing catch up. A lot on the go right now if we look as far south as Wellesley which has 159 condos going up at Wellesley and Sherbourne. Will also have retail. The rentals allong Wellesley getting a facelift, an extra tower and better retail (Timmie's is an upgrade). Then moving North we have a proposal going up by the Eggsmart. We have The Selby topped out which is a great addition to the area. The Gupta condo/hotel project in full swing on Bloor. The Lanterra project seems like it's dead in the water but I'm sure another builder will pick it up. Then we have Via Bloor. A lot of things are happening in this little pocket and I only see this as a good thing.

@Hanlansboy your view might be compromised but the area will be improved. Not a bad tradeoff

Can you imagine the outcry when an entire victorian neighbourhood was bulldozed for St. James town 40-45 years ago. From 2 to 40 stories in an instant. Now THAT was bad planning. Meanwhile the property in discussion has been sitting 'fallow' for decades. I was hoping it was going to be apart on the corner (of Parliament) and never knew who owned the land. They had patience obviously and now has come the time for the area to be densified. It is adjacent to to two subway stations, with walking distance to most of downtown, is relatively close to shopping. I'm surprised it took this long and I'm also surprised to see the height of density proposed.

This area could use more retail for sure but it does have no frills, food basics, a freshco about to open and a shoppers drug mart.

I think this is a(nother) missed opportunity. The building should be a landmark/gateway that announces your arrival to downtown Toronto from the east & DVP. The towers and podium look bland - all they announce is Tridel's sad lack of civic imagination .

This area could use more retail for sure but it does have no frills, food basics, a freshco about to open and a shoppers drug mart.

All of those stores offer the same level of food. But they're all at the same level. You're not going to find much organic food and just better, higher quality meats and produce (organic) at those stores. With the addition of all of these mid/higher end buildings there will be need for a grocer to match.

Back