Carillion who were the initial construction company working on the Union Station project (and were sacked by the City due to problems) seem to be about to go belly-up. See: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-standby-administrator-crunch-talks-continue/

It just did - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...dian-workers-future-in-doubt/article37601698/

Aren't we glad the city fired them from the project a few years ago? It could have been even more of a mess than it is now. Perhaps a name change to Carrion might be appropriate.

AoD

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm how the South entrance from Maple Leaf Square will be handled (in orange)? It seems to be able to access both the concourse and lower level market place, so will it be a divided ramp with one going up and one going down?

2018-01-15_1252.png

Attachments

• 2018-01-15_1252.png
    2018-01-15_1252.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,547
Can anyone confirm how the South entrance from Maple Leaf Square will be handled (in orange)? It seems to be able to access both the concourse and lower level market place, so will it be a divided ramp with one going up and one going down?
Clearly there needs to be a way to go up to VIA concourse (as now) and ideally one going down (to Bay concourse) so two ramps sounds feasible. Currently they are working on something on east side of the former (and existing) ramp so if we are right that would be the new down side. However, the current up ramp leads to a very drab and rather narrow concrete corridor so there may be more to all of this.

View attachment 132275

I don't believe so. Last I heard that ramp would solely go down to the lower level.

That area can get extremely congested at peak and especially during sports games. The current ramp could barely handle the traffic before half of it was closed. No way a split ramp would work.

I don't believe so. Last I heard that ramp would solely go down to the lower level.

That area can get extremely congested at peak and especially during sports games. The current ramp could barely handle the traffic before half of it was closed. No way a split ramp would work.
Yes, it did get very congested but eliminating the fairly simple (if rather brutal) current exit to Union Plaza from the level of the VIA concourse may not be good either. I am not convinced they will just have an exit/entry from the south (Union Plaza) into the Bay and York concourses or the "Market" area. As the City expands south of Union it will need better exits in that direction and removing the fairly one-level one from the VIA concourse floor seems odd.

Does anyone know how the new Go Bus Terminal will connect to Union Station and the PATH? Will it have just one connection via Bay East Teamway? Or will it have another via ACC?

Does anyone know how the new Go Bus Terminal will connect to Union Station and the PATH? Will it have just one connection via Bay East Teamway? Or will it have another via ACC?
The current GO bus terminal is being closed when the new GO bus station opens in the CIBC Centre just south of the berm. It will be linked to ACC via an overhead bridge over Bay Street. I think there are renderings of it on the CIBC Centre thread. The teamways on both sides of Bay will be upgraded

Last edited:
Wow! Looks great. Nice surprise.
It was being tested before Christmas (reported here) and it does look GREAT. As noted then, there are also lights at the base of all the columns at the main (centre) section but I have never seen them on yet (and don't think they are on on above photo) and there are also lights shining up from both moats which are not yet all installed.

The City installed LED 'heritage' lighting on St Lawrence Hall a few years ago and it continues to be well lit and lights are maintained so I see no reason to think they won't also maintain those at Union.

It was being tested before Christmas (reported here) and it does look GREAT. As noted then, there are also lights at the base of all the columns at the main (centre) section but I have never seen them on yet (and don't think they are on on above photo) and there are also lights shining up from both moats which are not yet all installed.

The City installed LED 'heritage' lighting on St Lawrence Hall a few years ago and it continues to be well lit and lights are maintained so I see no reason to think they won't also maintain those at Union.

And they're LEDs, they need far littler maintenance than incandescents.

Back