In this instance I am hoping they aim higher - the lighting at Union can use some pizzaz. It'd be the perfect backdrop for lightshows.

AoD
Not sure I agree. There is a lot to be said for using carefully designed heritage lighting to bringing out the beauty of the building without distractions from 'artistic lighting' or light shows. An occasional light show, yes; permanent lightshows, no.

Not sure I agree. There is a lot to be said for using carefully designed heritage lighting to bringing out the beauty of the building without distractions from 'artistic lighting' or light shows. An occasional light show, yes; permanent lightshows, no.

Not permanent - but you sort of need to plan for a system to have that sort of capability. Do it on weekends, perhaps?

AoD

Not permanent - but you sort of need to plan for a system to have that sort of capability. Do it on weekends, perhaps?

AoD

To use Budapest as an example. The Hungarian Parliament Buildings are light up in the colour of the Hungarian Flag on March 15th, October 23rd and August 20th every year in honour of significant national holidays which include 2 revolutions.

It can be done but to avoid it being used and abused it would be better off lit white unless it is something like Canada Day or related to a State Funeral of some sort.

Flag-Of-Hungary-Lights-On-The-Hungarian-Parliament-Building-At-Night.jpg

Attachments

• Flag-Of-Hungary-Lights-On-The-Hungarian-Parliament-Building-At-Night.jpg
    Flag-Of-Hungary-Lights-On-The-Hungarian-Parliament-Building-At-Night.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 878
They do it on the parliament buildings in Ottawa.

Would be kinda cool if they synced the lighting up with the CN Tower.

Syncing it up with the tower would be somewhat redundant and not ideal honestly. The tower is lit up for so many different reasons and IIRC people can apply to have it lit for various events, important milestones and dates etc. Humber College has it lit especially for their 50th anniversary and I believe it has been lit up to recognise politicians like when it was lit up for Jacks funeral in 2011.

I doubt the City or Metrolinx would want to be associated with some of the events, dates etc that the tower is lit up for. It is easier to light it up natural light as opposed to lighting that matches a certain technicolor dreamcoat.

Just found this staircase leading from the top of the VIA ramp where the convenience store was. Any idea what it is for?
20180117_141313.jpg

Attachments

• 20180117_141313.jpg
    20180117_141313.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 452
I noticed it before too. It seems to start down at the via concourse level and looks like it may span to a point even higher than the old convenience store/great hall level? Might it connect from concourse level up to office space up above?

I noticed it before too. It seems to start down at the via concourse level and looks like it may span to a point even higher than the old convenience store/great hall level? Might it connect from concourse level up to office space up above?

That actually makes sense because it would lead to the VIA Rail office right behind the ticket booths.

Peering through the locked door across from Union Subway station into the Bay Concourse. A posted sign states "opening in 2018"
20180117_221912.jpg

Attachments

• 20180117_221912.jpg
    20180117_221912.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 583
Last edited by a moderator:

Back