News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Liberty Village Bridge is discussed in this Report to Budget Committee for next week. http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.BU34.9 It is still moving ahead but the cost increases seem amazingly high.

"As part of Transportation Services' 2017-2026 Approved Capital Budget & Plan, cash flow commitments of $4.800 million gross and debt were approved in 2018 for construction of the King-Liberty Pedestrian/Cycling Bridge Project (CTP815-60).
The project is on schedule with detailed design to be completed in September 2017 and construction to start in the first quarter of 2018 with completion anticipated in the first quarter of 2019. The project construction estimate has increased from $4.800 million to $11.830 million as a result of Metrolinx design requirements and the need to meet accessibility standards under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
I'm just so shocked I tell you. Scrap the ridiculous plan and start again, and make it simple, and utilize further east to allow it to be part of the decking. With all the money saved, it can be spent on bettering the paths. What a concept...

Sigh.

This is one of the reasons why people don't have faith in government and the likes of Ford get elected. I can already see the people on the LV facebook page frothing at the mouth about the cost going up 250%.

[...] (build a simpler bridge)...further east to allow it to be part of the decking. With all the money saved, it can be spent on bettering the paths.
And if the bridge is built at the western end of the rail underpasses, as in Weston, the rest of the underpass decking can carry a park...with grass...quieten the neighbourhood, flowers, green stuff happiness, affordable and very easy to make AODA accessible with this incredible new invention, called a *ramp*...they even work in blackouts...

Here's a breakdown of the cost escalations from a supplementary report:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-107464.pdf

upload_2017-10-7_14-51-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-7_14-51-57.png
    upload_2017-10-7_14-51-57.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 784
bnr-constserv2.jpg

Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Call number: Notice56-2018
Commodity:
Construction Services, Bridge Repairs
Description:
Construction of King-Liberty Pedestrian/Cyclist Bridge Over Metrolinx Bids are invited for the Construction of King-Liberty Pedestrian/Cyclist Bridge Over Metrolinx, all in accordance with the provisions and specifications contained in the Request for Tender document, the City of Toronto's Procurement Policies, the Price / Pricing Form(s), the City of Toronto Fair Wage Policy and Labour Trades Contractual Obligations in the Construction Industry, and any other applicable policies

Issue date: March 2, 2018
ecblank.gif
Closing date: April 5, 2018 at 12:00 Noon

Notes:
Attachment
pdf.gif
Tender 56-2018 Notice of Intended Procurement.pdf (156 Kbytes) - Posted on 03/02/2018 01:19:27 PM

Blah, it's so clunky and institutional. Can't Liberty Village have something nice?!

I despise how low the standard for 'public art requirement' is for most projects. It's always some cheap token or flourish like miscoloured glass panes, as opposed to something very radical in shape or character.

Blah, it's so clunky and institutional. Can't Liberty Village have something nice?!

I despise how low the standard for 'public art requirement' is for most projects. It's always some cheap token or flourish like miscoloured glass panes, as opposed to something very radical in shape or character.

You expect a Euro-esque, high-minded approach to public art to adorn our provincial burg?

Why don't we close this thread now? I don't think I can stand to watch so much money spent on something that's such a design failure in every way.

Feeling controversial tonight. What is so terrible about the very rough sketch provided?

Clunky.
Not Euro-Esque.
Design Failure.

Frankly. The sketches are nicer than the GO monstrosity across the 401 in Pickering. Someone was trying too hard there. And there is a freakin’ yellow footbridge down somewhere over the rail corridor. Both of those are eyesores in comparison to the sketches of this. And at the end of the day, not everything can be a landmark.

Back