8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
First time starting a thread, mods you can delete it if you want. Finally tried out the game Cities: Skylines a couple weeks ago. Man, it's awesome. Compared with past city simulators there is no comparison. It's just so broad yet fine-tuned. No bugs, no bs. Really is the perfect game for urban enthusiasts. Or rural and resource enthusiasts...the game has everything.

I guess it requires a lot of cpu, but this can be circumvented by lowering settings. So even if you have a lower-end laptop it can still be run. I've only scratched the surface with my city of 60k, but am sure there's other players on this site who've gotten further.

First time starting a thread, mods you can delete it if you want. Finally tried out the game Cities: Skylines a couple weeks ago. Man, it's awesome. Compared with past city simulators there is no comparison. It's just so broad yet fine-tuned. No bugs, no bs. Really is the perfect game for urban enthusiasts. Or rural and resource enthusiasts...the game has everything.

I guess it requires a lot of cpu, but this can be circumvented by lowering settings. So even if you have a lower-end laptop it can still be run. I've only scratched the surface with my city of 60k, but am sure there's other players on this site who've gotten further.

This is what SimCity should have been, but EA killed the brand with their perennial BS and utter disconnect with the fan base. Truly sad.

I wish the game can handle even bigger cities than it could, but that's limited by tradeoff between playability and hardware.

AoD

I'm a religious player of this game (if I can find some time) - my city is 850k and dense as all hell. I have a pretty high end rig, but good luck getting more than 15 fps 'downtown'.

I have 5 suburban rail lines, 7 metro lines and 15 tram lines. Not sure how many bus lines I have - maybe about 20-25... And a lot of bridges - my city is on a river delta.

I shall have to post some screenshots :)

EDIT: As far as the game goes - my goodness is it ever good. With the right mods/assets, you can truly create whatever the hell you want - there's very little blocking you from getting creative. For example I'm a big fan of double decker bridges - rail below, road above. My airport link superbridge has 8 lanes of road above, 2 tracks for metro, 2 tracks for rail below.

I'm a religious player of this game (if I can find some time) - my city is 850k and dense as all hell. I have a pretty high end rig, but good luck getting more than 15 fps 'downtown'.

I have 5 suburban rail lines, 7 metro lines and 15 tram lines. Not sure how many bus lines I have - maybe about 20-25... And a lot of bridges - my city is on a river delta.

I shall have to post some screenshots :)

EDIT: As far as the game goes - my goodness is it ever good. With the right mods/assets, you can truly create whatever the hell you want - there's very little blocking you from getting creative. For example I'm a big fan of double decker bridges - rail below, road above. My airport link superbridge has 8 lanes of road above, 2 tracks for metro, 2 tracks for rail below.

You just need an excuse to get i7 8770K (gawd forbid, i9 skylake) + Titan Xp :p (the latter purely for bling since the game is very much CPU bound)

AoD

Hahaha I have the i7 but not sure if it’s that iteration. Need to check with the bf who built the rig.

I honestly don't know how to build a non-euro city. Since SC4 all my cities have been European.

Here’s Angmar - population 850k and a hell of a lot of tourists.

Attachments

• 07F870B5-D6C5-4849-81EE-634FC3B62121.jpeg
    07F870B5-D6C5-4849-81EE-634FC3B62121.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 534FB25B-0683-4DC7-9804-A67E960A37B6.jpeg
    534FB25B-0683-4DC7-9804-A67E960A37B6.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 368
  • 510622E6-B1B2-4F64-A465-3EA16F8B5257.jpeg
    510622E6-B1B2-4F64-A465-3EA16F8B5257.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 391
  • 634C1A3D-0532-4775-B8F1-2D16AA9C983B.jpeg
    634C1A3D-0532-4775-B8F1-2D16AA9C983B.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 5987D555-934C-4D54-91A3-7F4FB3F211AA.jpeg
    5987D555-934C-4D54-91A3-7F4FB3F211AA.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 326
Hahaha I have the i7 but not sure if it’s that iteration. Need to check with the bf who built the rig.

I honestly don't know how to build a non-euro city. Since SC4 all my cities have been European.

Here’s Angmar - population 850k and a hell of a lot of tourists.

Nice - Parklife DLC is coming up :D

AoD

Nice - Parklife DLC is coming up :D

AoD
Don't even.. I am so excited.. My friends won't see me for a few weeks.

I really think the best part of this game is that it's from a European studio; which means building European cities is as easy as it was to build American cities in SC4. Definitely the right game for me. Winning.

Last edited:
Don't even.. I am so excited.. My friends won't see me for a few weeks.

I really think the best part of this game is that it's from a European studio; which means building European cities is as easy as it was to build American cities in SC4. Definitely the right game for me. Winning.

Finnish, at that. I have some slight misgivings about the vanilla design styles, but nothing mods won't rectify.

AoD

Finnish, at that. I have some slight misgivings about the vanilla design styles, but nothing mods won't rectify.

AoD
Speaking of city size - weird things happen when you hit a million.

That was my goal building this city, so I expanded like a maniac. When I hit around 1 million, residential buildings would still get built, but no residents would move in. Airplane traffic went up like 500% but the planes were empty, ditto for international trains. The entire tourism mechanic of the game went haywire I think. So, I culled some neighbourhoods and got back to a manageable 850k. So, unless I'm having a death wave, that's where I'm at.
Conversely, my death waves are getting really bad - to the point that the population will drop to as low as 350k. That causes a whole other package of problems (mass unemployment, commercial/office buildings not functioning properly)... Can't use the lifecycle mod as it conflicts with my metros (causes train to perpetually board thereby rendering them stuck at the station with a line of trains behind).

That was my goal building this city, so I expanded like a maniac. When I hit around 1 million, residential buildings would still get built, but no residents would move in. Airplane traffic went up like 500% but the planes were empty, ditto for international trains. The entire tourism mechanic of the game went haywire I think. So, I culled some neighbourhoods and got back to a manageable 850k. So, unless I'm having a death wave, that's where I'm at.
Conversely, my death waves are getting really bad - to the point that the population will drop to as low as 350k. That causes a whole other package of problems (mass unemployment, commercial/office buildings not functioning properly)... Can't use the lifecycle mod as it conflicts with my metros (causes train to perpetually board thereby rendering them stuck at the station with a line of trains behind).

Weird bugs with Paradox published games? Say never.

AoD

Weird bugs with Paradox published games? Say never.

AoD
It's still by far the best city builder I've ever played. You can truly do whatever you want, I have yet to come up with an idea that I couldn't execute (with the help of some mods and assets of course).... Well I guess you could say I can't go over a million. That's a unity engine limitation apparently, that pop limit is hard coded.

It's still by far the best city builder I've ever played. You can truly do whatever you want, I have yet to come up with an idea that I couldn't execute (with the help of some mods and assets of course).... Well I guess you could say I can't go over a million. That's a unity engine limitation apparently, that pop limit is hard coded.

To be fair, the way other city sims go over 1M tend to be a bit contrived anyways (good old Launch Arcology spamming in SC2000 anyone?), and they are nowhere as flexible as C:S. And so. many. mods.

AoD

To be fair, the way other city sims go over 1M tend to be a bit contrived anyways (good old Launch Arcology spamming in SC2000 anyone?), and they are nowhere as flexible as C:S. And so. many. mods.

AoD
Exactly.. These aren't population numbers pulled out of thin air, but linked to the capacity of all your buildings and services. 'Real' population numbers as I call them. Then, the game actually simulates 60k people milling about the city (the remainder is 'at home' or 'at work' or 'inside'). That's pretty good all things considered..

Interestingly enough, Cities: Skylines' mascot is an expy of the Twitter logo.

I'm actually surprised they got away with this since it has close Twitter similarities. Seems like an infringement. It's kinda an annoying feature in the game, but does help me pinpoint problems.

That's interesting. Doubt I'll ever get to that much. Does seem like a lot of work, not to mention the computer power to make it happen. Was talking to someone today and told em my population, and he was like 'pft, I had over a million in SC 3k'. I had to explain that this is a little more advanced. Had a bout of a death wave, but pinpointed it to a water tower I placed in a (originally) rural area that I had forgotten about. My water intake downstream of outflow didn't help either. Keep in mind I'm beginner.

I don't think I'd be big on mods or user creations. If it's official, perhaps. One thing I'd like included in the original purchase would be to have the option of elevating the metro. Just so I can see it at times. As a traffic simulator it's top tier. Highway interchanges are a real challenge that take time to hone. Right now a lot of disjointed straight sections, but slowly refining them to large smooth arcs. Lots of fun.

Last edited:

Back