20180504_214647.jpg

Attachments

• 20180504_214639.jpg
    20180504_214639.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 978
  • 20180504_214647.jpg
    20180504_214647.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 953
It's like they popped up a collapsible tent from a "rent all party centre" and placed it on top of the old foundation.

Absolutely no effort.

I need more info. Is the framed structure supposed to representing something or is it simply there to support a canvas shelter?

I need more info. Is the framed structure supposed to representing something or is it simply there to support a canvas shelter?
It's meant to trace the location of the barracks that once stood there.

Let's admit it: this is just poorly executed. There is no visual context or visual attempt at a decent presentation. We just get some stones protruding from dirt. Perhaps some overhanging glass or plexiglass representations of walls or of the barracks over the stones which serve as the foundation. Of course, that would have meant some imagination, some caring and some money.

In other words, something an 8 year old would understand while walking through.

Update on 'the Bridge" - from Exhibition Place Board meeting: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ep/bgrd/backgroundfile-118494.pdf

8. Beanfield Centre – ($2.259M)
a) Hotel X Bridge, Phase I ($1.709M)
This project is the carried-forward funding for the installation of an elevated bridge between Beanfield Centre and Hotel X, at the second floor level. Without the bridge to link and connect the hotel to Beanfield Centre, the economic success of Beanfield Centre and the hotel are in part jeopardized because both are dependent on being able to generate sales from what is known as “self-contained” conventions/conferences. In order for both the hotel and Beanfield Centre to maintain and achieve its target occupancy and the financial return projected for these facilities, a weather-protected connection is required. The design and consultation stage with City Heritage / Planning is now undergoing with an estimated completion date and report to Council early in 2019.
b) Hotel X Bridge, Phase II ($0.550M - 2019, $0.530M - 2020)
This project is the continuation of the approved second phase by Council last year. Funding is for the construction and installation of the bridge between Beanfield Centre and the Hotel X. It is anticipated that the construction of this bridge will commence in the fall of 2019 and be completed and operational in the summer of 2020, in time for the heavy show session in the fall / winter of 2020/2021.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this bridge is funded by the city? Since when is the hotel's economic success in the city's interest?

Damn, still don't understand why this pedestrian link couldn't be planned underground?
...same said for a future parking garage planned for the western part of Exhibition Place

I think it maybe more about the economic success of Beanfield Centre, which is owned by the city.

AoD
The hotel's primary audience are the conventions' patrons. You are telling me that people (hotel guests) will refuse to go the convention once they realize there is no indoor connection from the hotel?

The hotel's primary audience are the conventions' patrons. You are telling me that people (hotel guests) will refuse to go the convention once they realize there is no indoor connection from the hotel?
No: convention planners won't book events here in the first place if there aren't weather-protected connections.

And yes, as the Exhibition Place is a City entity, and the park is a frontline tourism site, the City does have an interesting in having a successful hotel here.

Back