News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I live in Ward 1 and I have no clue who to vote for, lol. Ford (ew), Crisanti (ew), and a wide field of progressive candidates that will all split the vote with each other and will each get 4%.
Has Mikey Ford actually done anything?

As a bare minimum level of representation, Crisanti has got to be better, no?

The real victims of prejudice in these politically correct times are white males.
So you’re saying ok to dismiss someone’s opinion on UT because you assume they’re a white male? Aside from the ad hominem fallacy, which used to be taught as a logical error back in the bad old days before education faculties got woke, that is simply mindless prejudice. Of course, your position makes sense if you argue from the premise that prejudice is always wrong, except when directed against white males or those under suspicion of being white males, in which case it seems to be obligatory. But the premise stinks.

When someone says that Ausma Malik is so fixated on identity politics that you know they'd discriminate against white men - yes, that opinion can't be taken seriously.

So you’re saying ok to dismiss someone’s opinion on UT because you assume they’re a white male? Aside from the ad hominem fallacy, which used to be taught as a logical error back in the bad old days before education faculties got woke, that is simply mindless prejudice. Of course, your position makes sense if you argue from the premise that prejudice is always wrong, except when directed against white males or those under suspicion of being white males, in which case it seems to be obligatory.

Thorns_Embrace brought up Chris Moise and Ausma Malik as "not good candidates" and "not electable", then went on to quote her:

“If you’re first of one kind of representation, you never want to be the last and I want there to be more — more young people, more women, more people of colour, Black, Indigenous people in leadership positions who are working for everybody,” Malik said in an interview. “I think that’s really exciting to me in putting myself forward for city council and hopefully to invite a new face of council in 2018.”

As though her saying that greater diversity in Council somehow implies that his voice will not be heard or respected, despite her saying "people in leadership positions who are working for everybody". How does her wanting greater diversity in council mean white people are going to be treated lesser? You want to talk logical fallacy, I've got one for ya—"hasty generalization".

If that isn't the definition of white fragility, I don't know what is.

(I live in Ward 27, and Moise is well liked and an excellent candidate, especially by those of us with kids in the TDSB)

S
Thorns_Embrace brought up Chris Moise and Ausma Malik as "not good candidates" and "not electable", then went on to quote her:

As though her saying that greater diversity in Council somehow implies that his voice will not be heard or respected, despite her saying "people in leadership positions who are working for everybody". How does her wanting greater diversity in council mean white people are going to be treated lesser? You want to talk logical fallacy, I've got one for ya—"hasty generalization".

If that isn't the definition of white fragility, I don't know what is.

(I live in Ward 27, and Moise is well liked and an excellent candidate, especially by those of us with kids in the TDSB)
So here’s a thought. Argue against the actual statement using facts and reason. Don’t argue the statement is false because it was made by a white male.

Is there a strong progressive running in Scarborough Southwest? The NDP won big there so it would be unfortunate it's mainly between two small-"c" conservatives.

I live in Ward 1 and I have no clue who to vote for, lol. Ford (ew), Crisanti (ew), and a wide field of progressive candidates that will all split the vote with each other and will each get 4%.
I'd hold my nose and vote crisanti. One of them will win and their voting records are basically interchangeable, so might as well send a message to uncle Douggie.

Back