News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

They need the extra platform once the new track 1 is installed. This will allow northbound trains to use track 1 and southbound track 2. UPX would continue to use track 3 & 4.

Based on all meetings for the station and the corridors over the last decade, the platform is to be a centre one to allow an 1A on the east side that would connect to CP track for the line to Bolton. Don't know if that still the case or not. If not, it would be a side one.

Track 1 is installed north/west of the station to south/east of hwy 401.

It would allow VIA to stop there if they want to.

So it would roughly go where I've drawn the measurement line I guess. I'd assume that another platform at Bloor GO is also in the works?

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 16.54.47.png

So it would roughly go where I've drawn the measurement line I guess. I'd assume that another platform at Bloor GO is also in the works?

View attachment 170484

You are correct. The Weston platform is needed to complete the fourth track from the Interlocking at Nickle (a sidestreet south of Lawrence) westwards.

The fourth track from Nickle eastwards through the Junction and Bloor Station is a different project, and I haven’t seen any sign of it reaching procurement. It requires similar work at Bloor plus shifting the Railpath somewhat. Last I saw, there were consultations going on about that shift, but no resolution reached.

- Paul

This is tied to the whole developers-build-the-stations scheme the PCs are trying out, right?
Yes, at least officially. It's not like there are developers lined up for Mulock and Kirby stations. And where exactly would there be a development on the King-Liberty station?

No new platforms are needed at Bloor GO - the existing eastern platform is roughed in for an additional track on the east side of it. Weston has a side platform, so it's final configuration will be side-centre-side in terms of platforms, while Bloor will be centre-centre.

No new platforms are needed at Bloor GO - the existing eastern platform is roughed in for an additional track on the east side of it. Weston has a side platform, so it's final configuration will be side-centre-side in terms of platforms, while Bloor will be centre-centre.

True... the issue at Bloor is tunnels. When the fourth track goes in there will be no pedestrian access from the east side - needs an extension of the tunnels to a new entrance on the east side.

- Paul

Note that the letter is dated Nov 29, 2018. Metrolinx didn't have the nerve to provide this update in their December board meeting. Perhaps they forgot.

Interesting, great find. I find the first sentence of the second paragraph to be a bit contradictory. Says Metrolinx consistently planned for integrating transit and land use, but it's also a new approach. So which is it, they've consistently done it, or it's new. Neither really. It's not new, and they haven't been very consistent with Mimico being one of the only examples over a decade.

There were to be 2 tunnels at Bloor with the 2nd one north of the current one connecting to the Plaza. Both tunnels were to have entrance/exit on the east side of the Rail Pathway with elevators.

The 4th track aka as track 1 would run on the east side of the current platform that will become a centre platform from the current side one. Nothing other than tunnel extension has to be done to the current platform.

The current Rail Pathway will be shift to the east as well deceasing width wise to get track 1 in as well installing a fence for the whole area. The shifting of the pathway will be between Bloor and just north of Wallace Overpass.

The current bridge for track 1 over Bloor St still has to be shifted to the east to line up with the new track 1.

Money play a large part to what is not there now that should have been there on day one to the point it going to cost more to finish it off now. Also the new connection between the current station and TTC still has to be built as well the new walkway to Dundas after the tower is built. The tower is behind schedule due to unknown conditions that force construction to be stop by the Ministry of the Environment.

This is tied to the whole developers-build-the-stations scheme the PCs are trying out, right?
Yes, at least officially. It's not like there are developers lined up for Mulock and Kirby stations. And where exactly would there be a development on the King-Liberty station?
  • King-Liberty doesn't have much opportunity, unless 1-47 or 99 Sudbury are redeveloped. A better opportunity exists at the southeast corner of Queen and Dufferin.
  • Lots of potential around St Clair. Vacant lot at 1885 St Clair, old Bingo Hall at 1799 St Clair, most businesses along Townsley/Union St are junkyards.
  • For Bloor, old warehouses at 1360-1364 Bloor St W and 55 Wade would be ideal, the parking lot in front of Value Village (300 St Helen's) might work too.
  • For Gerrard, the northwest corner of Pape and Gerrard has lots of opportunity, but the bigger question is how does that impact the Relief Line?
  • Don't know if there's much opportunity at Lawrence East, given current uses and demand.
  • The strip mall at 15-19 Milliken Boulevard may want to hive off part of their parking lot to a developer.
What about Spadina-Front or East Harbour?

The Leslie Subway Station is to the left, the Oriole GO Station is the train bridge going over Sheppard Avenue East, and Old Leslie Street is the road bridge to the lower left.
New Oriole GO Station.jpg

Oriole Station.jpg

Oriole GO Station is straight ahead (west), while Leslie Subway Station is to the right (north).

Last edited:

Back