Plaza To Fund Toronto’s First Ever Outdoor Classroom

Toronto, ON – Nov. 28, 2017 – Today, Plaza made a $10,000 contribution to St. Pius X Catholic School in the west end of Toronto, which will help build the first ever outdoor classroom in the city. City Councillor Sarah Doucette, Plaza SVP Scott McLellan, and St. Pius X Principal Pasquale Tari were all in attendance at the school for the presentation of the cheque. Plaza will be launching the 2452 Bloor Street West Condos development in 2018 just steps from the school.

The new Plaza Outdoor Classroom will be built under four beautiful 15-20 year old trees with five large hand-crafted wooden log benches for seating of up to 30 children. It will be a stunning but practical landscaping project to be used year round by the community and the school’s 600 Junior Kindergarten – Grade 8 students for future generations.

“It is our hope that we will be launching our new project in the area some time in 2018,” said Scott McLellan, Senior Vice President of Plaza. “Our commitment to this school is another example of Plaza’s philosophy of becoming a part of the communities in which we build.”

2452 Bloor Street West Condos is a new condo development by Plaza located at Jane St. and Bloor St. West in Bloor West Village. With plans to launch in 2018, the development will have 14 stories and 244 units.

Plaza Outdoor Classroom 1.jpg
Plaza Outdoor Classroom 2.jpg

Attachments

• Plaza Outdoor Classroom 1.jpg
    Plaza Outdoor Classroom 1.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 1,917
  • Plaza Outdoor Classroom 2.jpg
    Plaza Outdoor Classroom 2.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 2,292
This is much, much better than the previous iterations. Good job on Plaza for actually listening to the concerns about this project.

The one thing I will say is that this could have been improved if the brick was seamlessly continued on the mid-section levels, instead of being broken apart.

Movies are still playing, and the website for the cinema has not announced a closure yet. If demolition permits are already in hand, might Plaza be planning rental here now?

When I was there to see a movie in late August, I spoke with some staff to see what they knew about the redevelopment. They were certainly aware of the project, but to their knowledge, the cinema was supposed to stay open for about another full year from then.

Take this information for what it is; the ticket and popcorn crew may not be all that well informed...

The status of the application is listed as 'not started', which means the City hasn't begun reviewing it yet. I was under the impression that applications for commercial demolition were bound by a strict legislative approval timeline of 14 days, but I could be wrong on that.

This is a step backward design-wise. It looks like it's been watered down to make it more "buildable." It still looks pretty good but it looked great in the previous iteration.

Back