The police likely won't bother finding out who she is. Articles I've seen so far on this video have only one quote from the police and that it's "impossible to determine when the video was filmed" or something along those lines. Not promising.

Why is the specific timing necessary in order to investigate and press charges? What matters is that this happened and there is visual documentation to prove it.

The sheer idiocy of this is hard to fathom, made worse by the fact that these imbeciles allowed themselves to be videotaped. Imagine if these chairs smashed through someone’s windshield/made contact with a vehicle, or just landed in such a way that it caused a major accident, possibly killing people. Unbelievable.

Unfortunately, I doubt they thought further than "wouldn't it be cool to toss this chair over the railing". I am sure someone will recognize and identify the woman.

The word on Twitter is that the unit was being rented as an Airbnb suite. Others who have rented that particular unit claim that it had the exact same chairs that were tossed to the street below (yes, there were two broken chairs found beside the building). I don't know enough about the company's corporate policy regarding guest information disclosure to police but I'd hope that they're cooperating as this is just insane.

It's certainly not over for her but she's unbelievably lucky that no one was injured or killed.

Airbnb has a policy for Law enforcement requests regarding users. Seeing as there is video evidence, it should be quite easy obtain the required info. This case might be difficult, unless they can definitively identify the
exact unit. If there are no other units at that height, on that side, renting as Airbnb's, it may not be a problem. The renter on the agreement will be in a big pile of doo doo, i hope.

Airbnb has a policy for Law enforcement requests regarding users. Seeing as there is video evidence, it should be quite easy obtain the required info. This case might be difficult, unless they can definitively identify the
exact unit. If there are no other units at that height, on that side, renting as Airbnb's, it may not be a problem. The renter on the agreement will be in a big pile of doo doo, i hope.
Most condo corporations also have Rules that make the OWNER responsible for their guests' actions. (Guests would include Air B&B renters) Condo Corps cannot levy fines but can charge costs like lawyers letters etc so the owner may also be hit with some sort of penalty.

A conviction of the condo owner would shed a different light on the whole airbnb setup. I personally wouldn't want to be in that position, no matter how good the money is. It appears the Grid Condos are also an accident waiting to happen.
If there isn't a precedent already in place, then this could be a game changer.

A conviction of the condo owner would shed a different light on the whole airbnb setup. I personally wouldn't want to be in that position, no matter how good the money is. It appears the Grid Condos are also an accident waiting to happen.
Knowing The Grid condo has no balconies, could you explain why they are an accident waiting to happen? Just curious on your thinking.

Many condos have rules prohibiting Air BnB. I don't know if Maple Leaf Square allows them or not. So if it were an unauthorized Air BnB, the owner could really be in trouble.

Reactions: DSC

The owner could never be criminally charged - where's their intent to commit a crime in renting out an apartment?

The person who took the video is another matter. Arguably, that individual aided and abetted the crime, making them an accessory who can be charged alongside the girl depicted.

If someone below had been injured and was suing for damages, then the owner might be liable if it could be proven they were negligent in how they rented their condo. It would be a tough case to make, but arguable.

Where the owner might actually face consequences here is with whatever measures the condo board may be able to take, as noted by other posters above.

Reactions: DSC
Who gets charged, and to what degree is way beyond my purview. I would guess it depends on the actions and damage or injury. Airbnb will forward info at the request of police departments, and then charges could end up
on the signee of the Airbnb rental agreement, and obviously the individual who enacted the crime in question. I can't see the owner being involved unless as PinkLucy said, it's an unauthorized Airbnb. I would
venture a guess, that there are lots of those around.
As far as the Grid Codos go, the story last week, and the photos of bottles and other missiles tossed from the building are evidence the potential for something serious is real. Maybe nothing can get tossed past the roof of the building
below, but it sure is an ugly, ongoing problem there.

Back