Honestly I'm not totally opposed to the tunnel option. It results in higher LRT speeds, and solves the NIMBY problem plaguing the project. Plus it gives more room for pedestrian improvements in Downtown, which are badly needed.

A tunnel is perfectly fine if you don't want to ride it until 2050; 20 years to find someone willing to fund it, then 10 years for design/tender/construction.

Somehow after eliminating a $50M loop (which is good for service too IMO) as a cost savings measure the tunnel seems like a big ask at the moment; unless Brampton kicks in a non-trivial amount (enough to get the feds on board) I don't think the provincial level will be at all interested in it for quite a while.

Last edited:
Brampton will not receive a single penny for anything from the province as long as Ford is the premier and Brown is the mayor.

A tunnel is perfectly fine if you don't want to ride it until 2050; 20 years to find someone willing to fund it, then 10 years for design/tender/construction.

Somehow after eliminating a $50M loop (which is good for service too IMO) as a cost savings measure the tunnel seems like a big ask at the moment; unless Brampton kicks in a non-trivial amount (enough to get the feds on board) I don't think the provincial level will be at all interested in it for quite a while.
Your post speaks to a lot of pressing transit issues. Either we can live in a dream of how it should be built (and it remain a never-ending theory) or we can get pragmatic and see it built within a decade. And it should only take half that time, but now I'm getting depressed from the necessity of justified cynicism...

And I can't help but add what a dire and culturally destitute place Square One is. Even to change buses...

Isn't it a pretty short tunnel? I haven't seen detail on the latest proposal. There's tunnels on parts of the Finch and Eglinton lines - and now a massive amount of concrete necessary for elevated intersection on Mississauga at Rathburn.

How long is this tunnel?

Hurontario_LRT_Map.png

Isn't it a pretty short tunnel? I haven't seen detail on the latest proposal. There's tunnels on parts of the Finch and Eglinton lines - and now a massive amount of concrete necessary for elevated intersection on Mississauga at Rathburn.

How long is this tunnel?
By my estimate from Google Maps, approximately 1.4-3.4km.

By my estimate from Google Maps, approximately 1.4-3.4km.
1.4 km doesn't sound terrible ... but even that surprises me. Is there any reason for a tunnel much south of Wellington and Gage Park? There's certainly tons of width south of their, and nothing but houses!

I'd figure that at most they were talking about 500 metres of tunnel, perhaps with a portal just south of Wellington. I don't see any other streets other than Queen that you might want to grade-separate.

Possibly Williams Parkway, if you extend further north in the future - but that's not what's being discussed!

The tunnel isn't huge but it's still an estimated $380M (2015 $'s) addition. Keep in mind the original budget for this piece was $400M, so the tunnel doubles the price. Add in construction inflation which is quite high (new TPAP finishes in 2020) and the partially tunnelled version will be ~$1.2B for Steeles to the Brampton GO station (3.3km).

That's a lot when the current 20km $1.4B version is still being reduced by value engineering.

Do the tunnel cut and cover - that's a totally acceptable solution in this location. I imagine that initial feasibility report contemplated tunnel boring.

I mean ideally I'd move the tunnel up so that it starts just south of Wellington Street - but the issues are really south of that in terms of NIMBY's.. so..

The tunnel isn't huge but it's still an estimated $380M (2015 $'s) addition. Keep in mind the original budget for this piece was $400M, so the tunnel doubles the price. Add in construction inflation which is quite high (new TPAP finishes in 2020) and the partially tunnelled version will be ~$1.2B for Steeles to the Brampton GO station (3.3km).

That's a lot when the current 20km $1.4B version is still being reduced by value engineering.

What do you mean by "(new TPAP finishes in 2020)"?

Back