News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Noticed this on the way home

dsc00468ox3.jpg

Interesting. I'm dying to see how Ryerson is going to propose honouring the SAM's signs, yet build a functional and beautiful building in place of the mishmashy rotting carcass that's there now.

Walking in SAM's on rainy days, the floor had certain parts of softened wood and I was often worried that I'd end up falling through the floor like Tom Hanks in The Money Pit.

Interesting. I'm dying to see how Ryerson is going to propose honouring the SAM's signs, yet build a functional and beautiful building in place of the mishmashy rotting carcass that's there now.

Walking in SAM's on rainy days, the floor had certain parts of softened wood and I was often worried that I'd end up falling through the floor like Tom Hanks in The Money Pit.

The presentation by KPMB I saw last month pretty much said there will be no Sam's sign on site.

Weren't there buckets all over the inside on rainy days?

I don't think Ryerson has a knack for historic... Or context.. Just look at their past projects for inspiration.

I don't think Ryerson has a knack for historic... Or context.. Just look at their past projects for inspiration.

oh stfu already. Past projects weren't guided by the master plan, nor did they deal with anything historic... besides the Chang School which is an amazing building and the new planning building, which is the first LEED building on campus.

MetroMan, The signs are designated as historic and Ryerson is working with the community to decided what should be done with them. Whether or not they end up on the new study space building has not been decided yet, but they will end up somewhere in the general vicinity.

oh stfu already. Past projects weren't guided by the master plan, nor did they deal with anything historic... besides the Chang School which is an amazing building and the new planning building, which is the first LEED building on campus.

MetroMan, The signs are designated as historic and Ryerson is working with the community to decided what should be done with them. Whether or not they end up on the new study space building has not been decided yet, but they will end up somewhere in the general vicinity.

If Ryerson is trying so hard to get recognition as a University, and to get rid of its associated stygma, then maybe it should hire some architects with actual branding?

UofT does a great job at it, why can't Ryerson? Again, lack of vision.

If Ryerson is trying so hard to get recognition as a University, and to get rid of its associated stygma, then maybe it should hire some architects with actual branding?

UofT does a great job at it, why can't Ryerson? Again, lack of vision.

Because in the end... it doesn't matter what building you learn in. Its the quality of education that matters. Ryerson lacks graduate programs... and creating new ones should be the priority, not building flashy buildings.

Sorry that Ryerson has priorities... but it isnt as old as UofT and has a long way to go before it can start acting like UofT.

Because in the end... it doesn't matter what building you learn in. Its the quality of education that matters.

That would be fine if you were York, or another University in the middle of nowhere. However, Ryerson's central location, woven in the urban fabric, gives it certain responsabilities that are currently being neglected.

I'm all for the quality of education, but when the University is in one of the focal points of the city, then it should do better than suburban bland.

That would be fine if you were York, or another University in the middle of nowhere. However, Ryerson's central location, woven in the urban fabric, gives it certain responsabilities that are currently being neglected.

I'm all for the quality of education, but when the University is in one of the focal points of the city, then it should do better than suburban bland.

Have you even been to Ryerson? Nothing about it is suburban.

Every action Ryerson has taken has helped integrate the campus with the city whether it be new construction or renovations. Class space is restricted to upper floors, while student services are placed on the street to create an active street front. Its not like UofT where you enter a campus. Entering Ryerson is pretty much entering the city.

Ryerson is living up to its responsibilities and works closely with the city on all projects.

Have you even been to Ryerson? Nothing about it is suburban.

Every action Ryerson has taken has helped integrate the campus with the city whether it be new construction or renovations. Class space is restricted to upper floors, while student services are placed on the street to create an active street front. Its not like UofT where you enter a campus. Entering Ryerson is pretty much entering the city.

Ryerson is living up to its responsibilities and works closely with the city on all projects.

If Ryerson truly cared about the urban fabric; disasters such as the Business building would have been averted. Now it just seems more are happening (regarding the reno of the arts building).

By ripping up half the campus and rebuilding it then Ryerson might be onto something, which is what I think your president is hoping to do in the long run.

Ironically, the business building, though ugly, is hardly suburban. It's intensely urban in the sense of being connected to existing transportation and shopping facilities, in being multi-use, and in connecting to the street.

Ugly, but urban. I've said before that I think the word "suburban" as applied to buildings has become essentially an epithet, lacking meaning.

Sheldon Levy has repeatedly spoken of a vision of integrating Ryerson with the city and coordinating development of the campus with its surroundings. I think he's not off to a bad start at that, especially having recently seen plans for the Photographic Arts building.

As for the Sam's premises, other than the neon signs, I don't think anything at all is worth preserving. The former CIBC bank at the corner is unexceptional, and besides, we have several others in the city that are almost identical. And the other building was nothing short of slummy. Bring on something better.

If Ryerson truly cared about the urban fabric; disasters such as the Business building would have been averted. Now it just seems more are happening (regarding the reno of the arts building).

By ripping up half the campus and rebuilding it then Ryerson might be onto something, which is what I think your president is hoping to do in the long run.

Wow you really don't know what you are talking about.

The business building is a huge success in terms of urban fabric. It has put new life into an area which was once desolate and sad. It encourages people to walk from Yonge toward Bay, whereas there was no incentive or reason to walk over before. And for the record, Ryerson does not own the building. Its pretty much just an expansion of the Eaton Centre. If you have a problem with it, you should complain to PCL and Cadillac-Fairview.

The arts building is another success in terms of urban fabric. It is giving people a reason to walk into the campus with the Black Star Gallery, and will open up the building to Gould and Victoria, which it now turns its back to. Again, the ground level will be occupied by services and a coffee shop that will animate the street level. These are major additions to the urban fabric of the city and the university.

Back