I have never been to a public consultation before. I have lived in Cliffside for a long time and have been supportive of the needs of our residents. I just don't think a correctional facility is a very good idea at this particular intersection. If you lived nearby, you may understand.

So maybe it's best to approach new experiences with an open mind? If you make it through this alive, yet still don't feel it's right for the neighbourhood, that's one thing. Simply writing this off now doesn't help anyone.

at this particular intersection

It always strikes me how the NIMBYs who don't actually think they are NIMBYs perpetually fail to understand that the core issue with NIMBYism isn't site-specific NIMBYism per se, but the reality that if everyone shared their views, literally nothing would be built anywhere.

In my opinion this seems like a step backwards for the development of the Kingston road area. Which for years has been riddled with crappy motels/drugs/prostitution. Recent developments like Haven have re-developed some of those motels showing signs of progress. To me this seems like a step back in terms of development in the area. Definitely not the type of development I had hoped for in the area.

When you show up for the meeting, go into it prepared to listen to those proposing the development, don't just go preparing to rant and rave like lunatic NIMBYs with racist undertones (or blatant overtones). Don't be those people.

Why are you pointing fingers at me? I am just stating a fact to inform. I stated no opinion on the project.
https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/aboriginal/002003-2000-en.shtml
^More on healing lodges from Correctional Services Canada

Last edited:
Yeah, after more reading it turns out my first impression was correct - this is not a correctional facility. It’s like a halfway home to transition back to civilian life. And there are only 12 beds (with another 12 apartments).

I don’t have a problem with this at all. I question the value of the retail space at ground level to be honest - the condo building retail is completely empty and there is no lack of available retail space on the strip. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but a good Indigenous restaurant would be nice there ( like Kukum, Tea and Bannock, etc). But it’ll probably end up housing another Timmy’s :-(

To permit a six-storey mixed use building containing a healing lodge and transitional housing with retail space on the ground floor. A healing lodge is a Residential Care Facility that provides a culturally-relevant, restorative care setting to aid Indigenous women who are making a transition from the correctional system into the community. The proposed healing lodge would include twelve residences and gathering spaces for cultural programming. More information about this proposal, including details about the cultural programming proposed by the Thunder Woman Healing Lodge Society, are available online at the Application Information Centre at www.toronto.ca/aic.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to their website, October 5th, 2019 was a critical fundraising deadline for the TWHLS in which they needed to reach $1.3 million at that date to proceed forward.

They haven't provided an update since then though. If the objectives are achieved, then construction was originally expected to begin in Spring 2020.

13_million.jpg

Commentary on the TWHLS' website indicate that they're targeting construction to start in late 2020 through 2021:

Years of hard work by Indigenous community members is what has brought this project to the place it is at today. We have achieved major steps, including buying the land and securing zoning approval in 2019! Now we are refining the building design to build a cultural landmark with minimal environmental footprint and preparing for a land blessing.

Support our fundraising campaign today to help us through these next crucial steps! We are targeting construction for late 2020 through 2021...

New rendering from November 2020:

thunder.JPG

Site Plan Approval application submitted:

2217 KINGSTON RD
Ward 20: Scarborough Southwest

A six-storey mixed use building containing a healing lodge and transitional housing. The building would containe 67 square metres of retail on the first floor and 12 bed-siting rooms and 12 dwelling units on the upper floors. The basement would contain a staff kitchen, fitness areas and storage. The building would have an FSI of 4.35 times the area of the lot.

Back