Excellent video from the Globe - you get to see how the glass overlay for the damaged portraits work:

AoD

There's no way Ford could f*ck this up is there? I mean, anything with provincial funding--no matter how advanced in its development--is getting ripped to shreds.

26945DBB-E2D4-49A0-B9BC-91D0E688B60D.jpeg

“Bridge” behind Massey Hall which will allow vehicles to access Massey Tower and form the base for Massey Hall’s addition.

I worked on a project for Deane and MH-RTH last summer. Can confirm that he was a super good guy, and it's mainly due to his vision that there is a revitalization to speak of.

Always felt that Massey is one half of a legendary musical space as it's essentially just the auditorium- if it had a more gracious social space (grand lobbies, stairways, ballrooms) attached to the front as well, it would definitely still be the city's preeminent venue.

Last edited:
Always felt that Massey is one half of a legendary musical space as it's essentially just the auditorium- if it had a more gracious social space (grand lobbies, stairways, ballrooms) attached to the front as well, it would definitely still be the city's preeminent venue.

Yes - but I think the benefactor didn't believe in that stuff. You couldn't even have alcohol until the 90s.

AoD

I wish they could move TSO back to Massey.

AoD

It'll still be a bad theatre space by modern standards. The nightlines are compromised with pillars. Some seats on the upper balconies can't see half the stage. You can still feel the Line 1 subway on nearby Yonge roll by every 5 minutes.

For the purpose of the TSO, the acoustics of Roy Thomson Hall, with the exception of the Four Seasons Centre, is still unrivalled in Toronto. Opening up Massey Hall's windows from the auditorium directly to the outside isn't going to help that.

I love what they're doing with Massey Hall but I don't think it's well suited when purity of sound is the priority. I don't know what they can do about the sight lines, other than removing a ton of seats and maybe making the stage smaller so that it's seen 100% from every seat.

It'll still be a bad theatre space by modern standards. The nightlines are compromised with pillars. Some seats on the upper balconies can't see half the stage. You can still feel the Line 1 subway on nearby Yonge roll by every 5 minutes.

For the purpose of the TSO, the acoustics of Roy Thomson Hall, with the exception of the Four Seasons Centre, is still unrivalled in Toronto. Opening up Massey Hall's windows from the auditorium directly to the outside isn't going to help that.

I love what they're doing with Massey Hall but I don't think it's well suited when purity of sound is the priority. I don't know what they can do about the sight lines, other than removing a ton of seats and maybe making the stage smaller so that it's seen 100% from every seat.

I thought the general consensus is that acoustics at Massey Hall is superior to RTH (from an audience perspective).

AoD

Back