News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Doha played host to the Asian Games in 2006. Basically they threw a lot of oil money into bidding and hosting the games, beating out more famous bidders including New Delhi, Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong.

Doha has a population of half a million, which would cause a lot of manpower issues if it hosts the Olympics, unless everybody in the city becomes a volunteer.

Rio is highly problematic due to crime, prominent slums within javeline-throwing distance of the posh and touristry neighbourhoods, a geographically challenging site which makes traffic and public transit a potential nightmare, and, of course, financial obstacles. Having visited, I can say it is one of the sexiest, most beautiful and exciting cities I've ever laid eyes on. But I can't imagine an Olympics ever being held there. My money is on Chicago.

I would rather TO host a FIFA Word Cup group. FIFA has indicated a desire to return to North America with both US and Canada locations. An enlarged BMO Field would do the trick. It would cost a fraction of the price than holding the Olympics.

The Olympics could do a lot to cement the city's presence on the world stage, possibly attract more foreign investment, encourage a lot of interesting architecture. We'd have a lot of facilities for future events too. The effects could be profound.

FIFA World Cup is pretty pricey (quite a few new stadia would need to be constructed in Canada, plus upgrades to existing ones). It's also probably as competitive as Olympic bidding. Canada is also not a soccer nation...

aside from the olympics bringing in some economy and helping the ocmmunity develop

isn't it enough to just want the olympics here for the chance to see them. i have watched the olympics from afar for years but want some of the action.

i'm only 23, i never got to experience the montreal or calgary olympics so COME ON!!! bring it to me!!

Hi Countbasie, I think the Vancouver Olympics may still be looking for volunteers if you want to see some Olympic action in Canada soon.
Speaking of the Olympic money-hole, what's going on with the Toronto Olympics building on the east side of Dundas Square? It looks like it might be getting knocked down along with the next building on the south side of Dundas, next to an already knocked-down building. I can probably guess what is happening there, but I am wondering if anyone here feels like posting more information?

It looks like it might be getting knocked down along with the next building on the south side of Dundas, next to an already knocked-down building. I can probably guess what is happening there, but I am wondering if anyone here feels like posting more information?

Geez Darkstar, I would really liked to have seen his full prediction. :)

The Brazilian government would quickly remove the slums, forcibly, much like China is likely doing now.

I doubt this. Brazilian authorities are both too corrupt and not autocratic enough to forcibly relocate 2 million faveladors (slum-dwellers). Not that this is a bad thing; it was standard practice in the 1960s to raze hillside slums but this only exacerbated the problem. Those slums are also in the control of gangsters who are not averse to shooting it out with the authorities who would come to turf them out.

The only solution is to let the favelas "unslum", which means providing basic infrastructure and letting the rather resourceful residents build an economy that's not based on selling drugs in an open air market. These values are, however, not in keeping with events like the Olympics which have been about spending big money putting up facades to mask the discomforting reality of the host state in which they're in. This has been the case since Berlin, 1936.

Back