News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I like all these discussions about roundabouts, and personally love roundabouts. But like anything else, they can be done right, and can be done wrong.

Maybe we can move these discussions into a new thread? "Roundabouts in the GTA" or something to continue the discussion.

It's not enough having roundabouts. As @steveintoronto pointed out many posts ago, the culture surrounding cycling and walking is as important. I saw this demonstrated in London over the last few days. The cyclist and pedestrian behavior is absolutely barbaric and unacceptable. The jaywalking is a million times worse than Toronto. One person crosses and 100 follow him right in front of the bus. Cyclists regularly push through reds and cut through traffic like kamikazees. It was insane. I'm surprised the death toll isn't way higher than it is.

It's not enough having roundabouts. As @steveintoronto pointed out many posts ago, the culture surrounding cycling and walking is as important.
This is a relatively recent phenomenon, two generations or so, an interesting topic in itself, and I hate to have to point it out, it's not direct causation, but it parallels the i-generation. Fortunately, in many instances in the UK (and ostensibly elsewhere) the infrastructure is designed to accommodate non-compliant behaviour. (Tunnels and bridges for pedestrians and cyclists). I used to cycle through UK roundabouts two gens back, I wouldn't dream of it now. What used to be a graceful dance is now a savage stomp. This isn't everywhere in the UK, there exists a schism between urban and country. This is a topic in itself, and anyone thinking it's not deteriorating here too is kidding themselves.
I like all these discussions about roundabouts, and personally love roundabouts. But like anything else, they can be done right, and can be done wrong.

Maybe we can move these discussions into a new thread? "Roundabouts in the GTA" or something to continue the discussion.
I'd suggest "Roundabouts, road protocol and driving demeanour (GTA and elsewhere)" as a topic surmise. It's not just cyclist vs pedestrian vs motorist, but that's a massive part of it. It's like throwing cats, dogs and rats altogether and wondering why they don't coexist? The cycling forums capture part of this with the 'separated' aspect, something growing abjectly important. I just had a run-in a few hours ago on Roncy with a motorist stepping out into the bike lane to open his car door, and expecting me to stop for him.

Absolutely agreed, a topic in itself. I invite the mods to start one, and allow a wide latitude of discussion, and the title can be fine-tuned if it develops in a way not originally conceived. I'm impressed by how it's caught some forum participants' attention. And to make sure I don't exonerate cyclists, I think most are hopelessly out of control when it comes to road protocol. It's not that GTA (and most elsewhere) ones are in control of things, it's just that they're even worse elsewhere. (London is infamous)(A case all in itself is motorbike lane-splitting, horrendously dangerous, and yet legal there) This is not going to get any better! How bad is it? I favour roundabouts, and I favour excluding bikes using some, by law, but along with the mandating of separate pathing to accommodate that. I don't think motorists will 'get it' initially either, but at least they have a shell of protection around them.

Last edited:
June 19
Its been a few months since I last took a close look at this interchange and haven't miss much.

Sewerage and waterlines being install over by the mall. The hill area on the west side of Kipling has be lower as well away from Kipling Rd. With the moving of the west embankment, asphalt for a lane or two has been lay and this will allow the current lanes to be shift to the west so work can start raising the existing grade of Kipling to the new elevation for the northbound lanes. Once the new northbound lanes are put into service for both direction, the current Bloor intersection will be close to allow both Bloor St and the southbound lanes to be built to match the new elevation of Kipling as well the new Bloor St Rd.

Grading, leveling and compacting the east side of Kipling is underway as well the new Bloor St extension frame work is in place, along with the new Sewerage system. Almost ready to layout the curbs and pour them before pouring the road base.

No idea what Guild Electric is doing these days, but their trucks are there without manpower. See no new traffic lights or base for the pole.

Work is taking place on new sidewalks on Dunbloor and the new Dundas Rd, but far from safety for people who walk this area. Lots of missing sections that need to finish off first to make it safer for people to walk the area.

90% of traffic run the stop sign for Dundas on Dunbloor while I was there.

Construction Update 11
10 day Dundas - Kipling Ramp Closure to Replace Watermain from Dunbloor Road to Kipling Avenue AND Pedestrian Detour to cross Kipling Avenue at Bloor Street West
Watermain Replacement
Tuesday July 2, 2019 at 7 a.m - Friday July 12, 2019 at 5 p.m

The Dundas – Kipling Ramp from Dunbloor Road to Kipling Avenue will be temporarily closed to vehicle traffic to replace the watermain. Please use the alternate travel routes described below. Work includes:
  • Excavating the road and digging a trench to access and install the new watermain
  • Restoring all areas affected by construction
Motorists wishing to travel North on the Dundas - Kipling Ramp to Kipling Avenue from Dundas Street West., can:
  • Travel west on Dundas Street W., south on Dunbloor Road, and west on Dundas Street West and north on Kipling Avenue
Motorists wishing to travel North on the Dundas - Kipling Ramp to Kipling Avenue from Bloor Street West, can:
  • Travel west on Bloor Street West, west on Dundas Street West and north on Kipling Avenue
Bloor-Kipling Intersection Reconstruction
Pedestrian detour: June 2019 – December 2019

The intersection of Bloor Street West and Kipling Avenue is being reconstructed. Pedestrians will not be able to cross Kipling Avenue at Bloor Street West. Please follow signage for pedestrian detours. Work includes:
  • installation of underground services
  • raising the grade and widening of Kipling Avenue
  • Sidewalk and bike lane installation
  • Street lighting and traffic signal installation

To walk on Kipling Avenue, if coming from north of the Dundas-Kipling ramp:
  • Travel east on Dundas Street West, south on Michael Power Place, west on Resurrection Road, west on Bloor Street West, south on Dundas Street West to Kipling Avenue
To walk on Kipling Avenue, if coming from south of Dundas Street West, south of Bloor Street West:
  • Travel east on Dundas Street West, east on Bloor Street West, north on Resurrection Road, north on Michael Power Place and west on Dundas Street West
More information:
www.toronto.ca/etobicokecentre
etobicokecentre@toronto.ca
416-338-7755

Thank you for your patience. Building a great city takes time.
Better infrastructure for all of us is worth the wait.

June 29
Concrete curbs for the new Bloor St road should be pour next week as it stake out for the pour.

New Eastbound temporary traffic lights installed at the new Dunbloor/Dundas/Bloor intersection.

The new raise Kipling northbound lanes almost in place and could see asphalt early July to the point the new northbound lane open for both direction. This would mean, the current southbound lanes as well Bloor St close later in July for their grade raising. Come end of August or sooner, the new Bloor/Kipling intersection along with the new Bloor road open for all 4 lanes.

What has me stump is the various locations on Dunbloor and Dundas is the yellow safety edge that are used for bus stop as well provision for a bus shelter. Is TTC planning on putting bus stops in these locations considering there has been no bus stops on Dundas in the first Place??
48156992352_ac86534840_b.jpg

48156821876_6a97f8d394_b.jpg

48156822411_1f024b0d16_b.jpg

48156822906_1b8e661b11_b.jpg

48156823391_56417f7b22_b.jpg

48156904317_f437d3a9ef_b.jpg

48156938636_6d17115806_b.jpg

48156940896_479d3dc732_b.jpg

48156940386_1cea5c868a_b.jpg

Last edited:
June 29
Concrete curbs for the new Bloor St road should be pour next week as it stake out for the pour.

New Eastbound temporary traffic lights installed at the new Dunbloor/Dundas/Bloor intersection.

The new raise Kipling northbound lanes almost in place and could see asphalt early July to the point the new northbound lane open for both direction. This would mean, the current southbound lanes as well Bloor St close later in July for their grade raising. Come end of August or sooner, the new Bloor/Kipling intersection along with the new Bloor road open for all 4 lanes.

What has me stump is the various locations on Dunbloor and Dundas is the yellow safety edge that are used for bus stop as well provision for a bus shelter. Is TTC planning on putting bus stops in these locations considering there has been no bus stops on Dundas in the first Place??
48156992352_ac86534840_b.jpg

48156821876_6a97f8d394_b.jpg

48156822411_1f024b0d16_b.jpg

48156822906_1b8e661b11_b.jpg

48156823391_56417f7b22_b.jpg

48156904317_f437d3a9ef_b.jpg

48156938636_6d17115806_b.jpg

48156940896_479d3dc732_b.jpg

48156940386_1cea5c868a_b.jpg

I think maybe they intend to put a bike lane there where you see the yellow strips but I am uncertain

I think maybe they intend to put a bike lane there where you see the yellow strips but I am uncertain

Yes, I'm 99% sure that's what it is. You can see the space reserved for the bus shelter, and the yellow strips warning cyclists they're about to cross a bus platform. It's similar to Roncesvalles, except that it's an actual bike lane and not just humps over the bus/streetcar stops:

Yes, I'm 99% sure that's what it is. You can see the space reserved for the bus shelter, and the yellow strips warning cyclists they're about to cross a bus platform. It's similar to Roncesvalles, except that it's an actual bike lane and not just humps over the bus/streetcar stops:
It looks just like Sherbourne bike lanes.

Six Point Interchange is about to get very busy even more. See below...

Notice to Property Owners & Residents PHASE 1A Re: St Albans Sanitary Sewer Replacement July 9, 2019 Dear Neighbour, You are receiving this notice because you are situated near or adjacent to the proposed sanitary sewer replacements on St Albans Road, where construction activities will commence shortly.

The 6 to 7 week duration of this project is expected to take place from July 15 th – August 31 st, 2019. Initial activities will begin on the east side of St Albans Road and work its way west towards Auckland Road. The construction will consist of an open-cut excavation to upgrade the existing sanitary sewer infrastructure. The work will be undertaken by Concert Properties, the developer of the KIP 2 located at 5365 Dundas St. W., on behalf of the City of Toronto. R.V. Anderson Associates Limited was retained by Concert Properties Ltd. to design the modifications to municipal infrastructure, and to oversee the construction to assure that the work is completed in accordance with the City and Provincial rules and regulations. In order to minimize the disruption caused by this construction, work will take place in multiple phases.

Public Information notifications will be provided for each of the construction phases. This notice is for phase 1A for which the construction schedule is provided below. The figure of the traffic management measures for this phase is provided on the reverse side of this notice. Access to all buildings and services (i.e. garbage collection, emergency vehicles, entrances and exits to parking garages, or any other usual services) will be maintained. Every effort has been made, with City staff support, to complete all works with minimal disruption to the public, businesses and residents alike. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your cooperation understanding.

Construction Schedule: PHASE 1A - July 15 th, 2019 to July 17 th, 2019 Work Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday For enquiries or concerns, kindly contact 311 or for site specific information contact the following persons: Consultant: Contractor: R.V. Anderson Associates Limited GFL Environment Adrian Ranganathan (Primary) Tony Tassone Site Representative Site Supervisor aranganathan@rvanderson.com ttassone@gflenv.com Cell: (647) 710-6360 Office Tel.: (905) 760-9799 Please turn over Notice to Property Owners & Residents PHASE 1A If you have any questions or require further information, please contact us at the phone numbers provided. c: City of Toronto Concert GFL Phase 1A Closed Road

Great stuff looking forward to seeing how bad TTC riders are going to get it this time around. Buses are going to be backed up to kingdom-come to the point that it will literally get gridlocked on St.Albans. Last time lanes were restricted in this area (around Auckland Rd) it took a good 15-20 mins just for buses to exit the immediate vicinity around Kipling station.

Make no mistake about it, this area is going to be an unmitigated disaster.

Great stuff looking forward to seeing how bad TTC riders are going to get it this time around. Buses are going to be backed up to kingdom-come to the point that it will literally get gridlocked on St.Albans. Last time lanes were restricted in this area (around Auckland Rd) it took a good 15-20 mins just for buses to exit the immediate vicinity around Kipling station.

Make no mistake about it, this area is going to be an unmitigated disaster.
The interesting part is that this notice should be in the kip district thread.

It’s going to be a hell of a summer for Viking lane residents. Oh, and no splash pad until August at least.

The interesting part is that this notice should be in the kip district thread.

It’s going to be a hell of a summer for Viking lane residents. Oh, and no splash pad until August at least.

Half those buildings have pools; bit less fun perhaps but they'll survive.

Back