News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It’s also a sign that whatever professional bandwidth ML may posess to plan and build transit projects is being redirected and distracted towards less worthy and highly politicised irrelevancies. So much for getting on with what matters at ML.
- Paul

Well, also remember ML got an unannounced cut to the tune of hundreds of millions - I am sure this and the recent "revenue protection" got something to do with it.

In any case, I would love to see the opposition party campaigning to break every one of these naming rights arrangements - with retroactive legislation - if necessary.

AoD

It’s also a sign that whatever professional bandwidth ML may posess to plan and build transit projects is being redirected and distracted towards less worthy and highly politicised irrelevancies. So much for getting on with what matters at ML.
- Paul

This is so important and will get buried in the jokes. There will be a whole procurement process, revenue targets and budgeting analysis, signage installation, and compliance monitoring process, and all other kinds of crap that will occupy hundreds of employee hours per year, all to get a fraction of a percent of the operating budget in revenue.

I can't wait for GO to be sued by a sponsor because some GO bus driver failed to say "Coca-Cola Clarkson Station." And you just know the contract the pea-brains at Metrolinx negotiate will be air-tight in favour of the vendors, and will grant them something ridiculous like a "$25,000 payment per non-compliance incident."

Tacky BS from Premier Ford Motors.

In the bigger scheme of things, we're talking peanuts in revenue. In Philadelphia, Pattison Station was turned into "AT&T Station" for $5 million. That can hardly build you a Presto vending machine, let alone a subway extension.

Last edited:
This is so important and will get buried in the jokes. There will be a whole procurement process, revenue targets and budgeting analysis, signage installation, and compliance monitoring process, and all other kinds of crap that will occupy hundreds of employee hours per year, all to get a fraction of a percent of the operating budget in revenue.

I can't wait for GO to be sued by a sponsor because some GO bus driver failed to say "Coca-Cola Clarkson Station." And you just know the contract the pea-brains at Metrolinx negotiate will be air-tight in favour of the vendors, and will grant them something ridiculous like a "$25,000 payment per non-compliance incident."

I’m surprised the Sun fell for this. I am sure there will soon be a job posting (or a contractor RFP) for a Sponsorship Manager position....it is likely a full time equivalent. And sure, ML will say it is cost effective and paid for by the revenue....but it’s a non-core activity in an organization that already runs in too many directions and has too many non-core activities.

I sure hope Sue-Ann Levy is around when we need her.

- Paul

This whole scheme is a perfect representation of Ford's thought process and logic (ie: doesn't make any sense and clownish).

Ladies and Gentlemen, let's give another round of applause for our pathetic and inept provincial government. The fact that we have at least 3 more years of this makes me shutter.

^Oh but dont worry, "it's going to be more than enough to make up for the tens of millions we will be cutting from Metrolinx' operating subsidy" (Ford government logic) ?

If anyone doesnt understand how incredibly stupid and shortsighted this concept is, dont bother trying to explain it to them because it's a hopeless cause.

They’re expecting to generate a whooping $50,000 to $500,000 per station from this nonsense. Woohoo!

Per year? I presume Union is the $500k station, so most would be at the $50k valuation, if anything.

So that's around $5M across the entire network per year, or roughly $0.07 (7 cents) per trip?

Gee, sure can't wait to take the bus to Tim Hortons GO Station. I wonder if they'll offer a free coffee every 7th fare?

Per year? I presume Union is the $500k station, so most would be at the $50k valuation, if anything.

So that's around $5M across the entire network per year, or roughly $0.07 (7 cents) per trip?

Of course that assumes they’ll be able to sell the naming rights for every station. Idk if there’s a hot market for Clarkson Station

Back