News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I'm hoping that 5 Wits could open where GoodLife was in 10 Dundas Square.

It's more likely that yet another major retailer would open there instead.

I'm hoping that 5 Wits could open where GoodLife was in 10 Dundas Square.

It's more likely that yet another major retailer would open there instead.

Personally I'm hoping for a sex dungeon like they have in Amsterdam!

But seriously folks.. it will likely end up being a shoppers drug mart.

Some progress being made.

image1 (5).jpeg

So it seems the new mystery tenant is taking over the GoodLife space: https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2019/08/goodlife-yonge-dundas-closing-toronto/

Very curious to see what's coming here.

Given the demonstrated complete lack of business intuition of the property owner, I would not be surprised if it becomes a HomeSense or some other chain that’s totally useless to the tourist demographic and entertainment market that dominate the area.

That big of a space in a sub basement presents a big opportunity to introduce an entertainment venue such as a bowling alley (the original intention) or an arcade. With Cineplex upstairs, this has The Rec Room written all over it.

Given the demonstrated complete lack of business intuition of the property owner, I would not be surprised if it becomes a HomeSense or some other chain that’s totally useless to the tourist demographic and entertainment market that dominate the area.

That big of a space in a sub basement presents a big opportunity to introduce an entertainment venue such as a bowling alley (the original intention) or an arcade. With Cineplex upstairs, this has The Rec Room written all over it.

I personally think it will be something stupid as well. The problem is the space where Goodlife is, is out of the way. It is literally a basement and as such not many retailers want to lease there.

You won't find high end clientele wanting to rent there when it is out of the way in the basement of an otherwise non-descript hole in the wall building

If they want GOOD tenants, they need tear the mother down and rebuild it. Right now the configuration of the building discourages alot of people. .

I personally think it will be something stupid as well. The problem is the space where Goodlife is, is out of the way. It is literally a basement and as such not many retailers want to lease there.

You won't find high end clientele wanting to rent there when it is out of the way in the basement of an otherwise non-descript hole in the wall building

If they want GOOD tenants, they need tear the mother down and rebuild it. Right now the configuration of the building discourages alot of people. .
This is not a nondescript hole-in-the-wall building, this is a quite high profile but ugly inside-and-out building that benefits from location, location, location. There will be a number of potential lessees out there that will want it, and that could even be Ryerson which is chronically short of space.

I think the location aspect of Y+D is overplayed - it is high profile, but I find businesses immediately around it to be struggling (especially relative to the high rent).

Personally I am happy to see this garbage of a building rot until the entire block can be reconsidered for total redevelopment

AoD

I think the location aspect of Y+D is overplayed - it is high profile, but I find businesses immediately around it to be struggling (especially relative to the high rent).

Personally I am happy to see this garbage of a building rot until the entire block can be reconsidered for total redevelopment

AoD

I think that speaks more to how badly those businesses are run, than the location.

This building is not going to be redeveloped in any of our lifetimes, let alone after 12 years.

There are too many politics and too many interests at play here. The end result will be inertia. It'll stay as it is.

This is not a nondescript hole-in-the-wall building, this is a quite high profile but ugly inside-and-out building that benefits from location, location, location.

The stores with street access do really well. This is far from "a hole in the wall".

There will be a number of potential lessees out there that will want it, and that could even be Ryerson which is chronically short of space.
I don't think Ryerson could afford the rent. Goodlife was paying a premium for that location, which is why the gym itself hadn't been updated. For 10 Dundas East to kick them out, there must be a tenant with deeper pockets.

The Rec Room makes the most sense. Cineplex theatres upstairs, Cineplex' entertainment venue downstairs. Alternatively, Dave & Busters might want to compete downtown.

This building is not going to be redeveloped in any of our lifetimes, let alone after 12 years.

Perhaps but just like a cancer diagnosis, if you don't have hope you have nothing. Till then, it's best to focus on the screens rather than what it's attached to. And never go inside... it's soul destroying, I did it once 6 years ago and I'm still not fully over it.

Last edited:
The Rec Room makes the most sense. Cineplex theatres upstairs, Cineplex' entertainment venue downstairs. Alternatively, Dave & Busters might want to compete downtown.

It's none of those options. I don't even think this tenant has big pockets. It will be a tourist attraction though.

Back